Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (6/∞)  (Read 12310 times)

King Zultan

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (6/∞)
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2023, 04:20:50 am »

"What's up with this ship, feels like we took off before the supplies got loaded."
Grab a chair and claim it as my weapon, then put on a space suit and go hit the obelisk with my chair.
Logged
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strif3

  • Bay Watcher
  • The vulture on your shoulder
    • View Profile
Re: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (6/∞)
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2023, 07:17:25 am »

Velklin

Go aim this obelisk at the previous obelisk.

"The main problem is that making a triangle is ambiguous.  Do we aim these at some centrepoint of the triangle made by these three obelisks?  Or do we aim them at each other to make the lines that form a triangle?  There's like a dozen possibilities."

A bit shaken from the short but nerve-wracking EVA mission and the little bit of a rough handling he had to endure, Velklin, try as he might, fails to come up with any particularly groundbreaking ideas.
"Uhmm... I don't know. Normally when you're trying to triangulate something, you'd measure the signal strength of that something--" He abruptly stops mid-sentence, straightening up a little, seemingly struck at last with something resembling an idea. Hey! that's not a bad idea... Unless it blows up the obelisk... I'll charge the obelisk with some mana and see what happens!" He exclaims, now much more lively again than he was moments before.

looking at the colorful beetle that had manifested in Su Lin's hands, Velklin's expression is somewhere between adoration and frustration, but mostly the former.
"Aww, you're way better at making clever use of your magic." He says, shifting his gaze from Ornos to Su Lin. "I guess it makes sense... Those with less magical power learn to make the most of what they have. Those with a lot more don't really think about that." He turns his head, averting his gaze completely from both, clearly ashamed of what he's about to say next. "I'm sorta a little bit jealous of you actually. But, if it's okay with you, i want to try feeding Ornos with a bit of mana and singing to it, as well. I've had to do a ton of singing in the past. Sort of just comes with being the son of a True God, and a living saint."

"The divine school of magic i've been taught isn't really very versatile, and the ways in which it is okay to use is very strict. So that probably doesn't help. But since then, i've seen all kinds of cool magic, and i've been wanting to break out of that mold..." Velklin trails off, seemingly lost in thought. Then he suddenly jerks his head to the left, then to the right as he looks around, searching for something, his tail flicking to the opposite direction each time. "Where'd that fairy go? I wanted to ask them to teach me their telekinesis trick. Oh well, It can't be that hard, right? I'll just try practicing it on my own on a can or something... Is there a vending machine or something around?"

Recap of actions:
Action 1: Attempt to charge Obelisk with magic.
Action 2: Attempt to feed Mana to Ornos, while also singing to it.
Action 3: Attempt to learn and practice [Telekinesis].


"What's up with this ship, feels like we took off before the supplies got loaded."
Grab a chair and claim it as my weapon, then put on a space suit and go hit the obelisk with my chair.

"Hey, Burt. I was looking at the team's estimated stats chart." Velklin turns his right wrist, so that his palm is facing upward, and a holographic grid with the team's estimated stat ratings is projected into the air, by presumably some device on Velklin's wrist, underneath the space suit he's currently wearing.

Name:STRACCSPDDEFENDMAG
Fln:024131
Lemmy:000000
Su Lin:422222
Isabsam Butsha:223230
Burt:341220
Velklin:0110010
Eleazar:124113

"I think nobody's relly noticed this but... according to this-- Who the heck is 'Eleazar'? ...Anyway, you have the highest Accuracy rating of any one of us. I mean you're strong, too. But maybe you should be looking for a gun, instead of a melee weapon? You'd be the best shooter of any one of us. And... We're sorely lacking one, since Fln is nowhere to be seen..."
Logged
Freedom is not a spectrum.
Put me in chains, or stop telling me what to do.

BlackPaladin99

  • Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
Re: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (7/∞)
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2023, 06:28:26 pm »

search for a weapon, beam down to the planet, join the team

“Note to self: apply inhibitor to disallow signing up for things while drunk.”

Logged
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Devastator

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (7/∞)
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2023, 08:33:50 pm »

"Hey, watch it Velkin, lets see if these obelisks can do it without any additional power first.  You might have the right idea, but if these power up some kinda fortress maybe feeding them is a bad move."
Logged

Funk

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (7/∞)
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2023, 10:21:18 pm »

"Well if its not coming lose then its not coming lose.
I'd best go an get ready for what evers next, its feels wrong not to have a weapon or something."
Explore the ship some more.
Logged
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Devastator

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (7/∞)
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2023, 04:55:42 am »

"If you want any suggestions, why not start with a rock?"
Logged

King Zultan

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (7/∞)
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2023, 05:08:25 am »

"I think nobody's relly noticed this but... according to this-- Who the heck is 'Eleazar'? ...Anyway, you have the highest Accuracy rating of any one of us. I mean you're strong, too. But maybe you should be looking for a gun, instead of a melee weapon? You'd be the best shooter of any one of us. And... We're sorely lacking one, since Fln is nowhere to be seen..."
"Never heard of that guy, also I searched the ship and couldn't find a gun so that's why I was looking for a melee weapon, but we seem to lack even those not sure what's up with this ship.


Also where can I get one of those hologram projector things?"
Logged
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strif3

  • Bay Watcher
  • The vulture on your shoulder
    • View Profile
Re: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (7/∞)
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2023, 06:53:52 am »

"Hey, watch it Velkin, lets see if these obelisks can do it without any additional power first.  You might have the right idea, but if these power up some kinda fortress maybe feeding them is a bad move."

"Uhm... Okay-" Velklin replies, his knees facing inward and tail slightly tucked as he looks at Lemmy with a meek expression. "I just thought charging the Obelisk will maybe make it shoot out an energy pulse- then maybe whatever we're looking for will send one back... But if you think we can do it without giving it energy, we'll try it that way first."

Also where can I get one of those hologram projector things?"
"Oh,  this?" Velklin asks, surprised anyone would take notice of such an unremarkable piece of technology. He produces another hologram, another grid, this one full of inscrutable symbols and gauges.

:■■ ▪▪▪▪▪ ▪▪▪▪▪
:■■■■ ▪▪▪▪▪ ▪▪▪▪▪
α:○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
β: ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
γ:● ● ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
δ:○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
ς:○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
ψ:○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
ω:○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○

"I-it's really just a vitals monitor with a holographic display projector. I'm sure you could get one for cheaper and with more features than mine once we dock at the nearest space station... If there are any space stations in this space."
Logged
Freedom is not a spectrum.
Put me in chains, or stop telling me what to do.

King Zultan

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (7/∞)
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2023, 04:45:47 am »

"I've never seen one of those things before, just like I've never been to space before so I have no idea what kind of things you can find."
Logged
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strif3

  • Bay Watcher
  • The vulture on your shoulder
    • View Profile
Re: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (7/∞)
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2023, 05:57:15 am »

"I've never seen one of those things before, just like I've never been to space before so I have no idea what kind of things you can find."
"Huh...  Really?" Velklin tilts his head, perplexed. "Umm... I mean that's okay. There are all kinds of worlds out there. And pretty much all of them have different levels of technology. I know i was like a deer in headlights-" Velklin interspaces his words with a small laugh "-When i was discovering crazier and crazier tech that exists, constantly."



((Hey, Magmacube. Wtf are you doing? What's the hangup?))
Logged
Freedom is not a spectrum.
Put me in chains, or stop telling me what to do.

King Zultan

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (7/∞)
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2023, 06:23:49 am »

Burt pauses for a minute thinking on whether or not to say something about the deer in the head lights thing but he decides to let it pass for now.
"I guess all this new stuff takes tome to get used to, and I'm sure I'll get there at some point soon."
Logged
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Magmacube_tr

  • Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (7/∞)
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2023, 04:50:50 pm »

Game's not dead. Just a bit busy. Will post soon
Logged
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Magmacube_tr

  • Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (7/∞)
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2023, 07:23:58 pm »

The asteroid slowly spins as the ship comes right next to it. Lemmy beams down with Eleasar on tow, going up to the obelisk to try and recalibrate it. The object however, responds to no outside force, and simply continues to spin and float.

"I sure hope it is automatic, then."

Eleasar, while outside, looks for a weapon. He find some rocks and tries to sharpen them to make a stone handaxe, but everything he finds turn out to be incredibly crumbly, as if half-formed sandstone.

While Lemmy was doing what he was doing and Eleasar was picking at some rocks or whatever, Su Lin was watching, with the beetle god at hand.

"Ornos, was it? Well, Ornos, did you know that you were the one to create this artifact?"

No response comes. The beetle god just clumsily ambles around Su Lin's hand, not comprehending anything.

"Nothing? Do you even understand what I am saying, Ornos?"

Ornos doesn't responds to that either.

"Okay, okay, how about this? I sing, and you continue the melody."

Code: [Select]
Su Lin sings to get a reaction out of Ornos: 10
Su Lin whistles a small, rising tune, and to his surprise, Ornos seems to be listening. He had stopped ambling to listen to the melody. The small god perks up too, seemingly cognizant for the first time since he was resurrected.

The beetle god flaps his wings. Su Lin hears the exact same melody he whistled, being played back to him. No other response comes, and Ornos seems to lose his brief bout of consciousness, falling back to simply moving his limbs randomly.

"Ah, alright. I will just, put you, back onto my head."

Su Lin's attention falls back to Lemmy and Eleazar, just as the former was returning to the ship in defeat.

"I suppose I could try that again."

He reaches for the obelisk and focuses.

Code: [Select]
Su Lin uses Intent: 3
Only to find that it did not worked at all this time. Though the obelisk did gave him its equalivent of an error message instead, via thamaturgic emission.

"Invalid Magic Signature: Specific Magic Signature Already Used"

"Another person with magic affinity must Intend. You already did it once with this long distance conduit. Velklin, why don't you just- What the hell does Burt thinks he is doing?!" Narrator cuts himself calling everyones attention to the deer headed hoolingan hitting with and breaking a chair on the obelisk. Obelisk is unharmed in any way. Burt seems to be very angry at the chair breaking, but that seems to subside when he takes hold of a chair leg with the nail still attached. He claims it as a weapon, finally satisfied, and goes back to the ship. Eleasar looks at the broken chair and he also finds a chair leg, just without a nail, taking it with him back to the ship as well.

Velklin looks at Burt using brute force on the obelisk for some reason, and he is inspired. He focuses very intently, summoning his mana at the frontline in a weird configuration not unlike a Small Wish, then starts transfering it into the obelisk. Lemmy doesn't misses this, and adding magic into something you don't know what it does isn't the greatest idea in the world, he thinks.

Code: [Select]
Velklin charges the obelisk with 25 Mana: 7
Lemmy tries preventing it: 7

"Hah, what are the odds!" Narrator amusedly exclaims for all to hear.

Lemmy tackles the demigod into the ground, but the spell was already halfway done. The soell loses alot of its potency this way, most of the mana used dissipates into the air. A small amount does reach the obelisk though. Obelisk recognises this small magic burst as Intending. It gives out the exact same message as the previous one, implying that it has been activated.

"01... A-I... C-I... D-I..."

"Activate the Corner Devices. Form a triangle. Find the Fortress."

"There is only one of these left guys. It is on the first moon of the ice giant." Says the Narrator, and the ship speeds off further away from the dull red light. It was dim at the gas giants moon, but is almost dark here. The ice giant is barely perceptible, while the small captured comet right infront of the ship vaguely, and ominously glows in the reddish gloom. Even though it definitely shouldn't.

Isabam takes it as her que to explore the ship itself. It is very barren, but also seems incredibly high tech. She sees many mechanisms that she had no idea on what functions they carry. Many rooms, filled with crates and boxes and drawers and barrels, all empty. Not one thing makes sense for her. So she asks the Narrator. The Narrator seems as unsure as she.

"Uhhhhhh... That spinny thing, uhhhhhhh... It's a- wait- yes- uhhhhhh... It's a crystallised neutrino recalibrator. Yes. It recalibrates crystallised neutrinoes."

Isabam returns to find the rest of her team in utter chaos. Everyone is huddled behind the chairs as a pinkish ball of light writhes and churns and blasts magic projectiles into the air like fireworks.


Cue Flashback Wave Effect


"Can I see what you have, I wanna take a look too."

Su Lin is approached by Velklin, who seemed to be interested in Ornos. Su Lin obliges, and hands the beetle to Velklin.

Velklin too, has the idea to sing to the beetle god. He hums a the melody of a prayer to his father.


Code: [Select]
Velklin sings to get a reaction out of Ornos: 18
Maybe it was because Velklin himself was divine, or maybe it was the content of the melody having divine connotation, Ornos rises upon his legs to quietly listen. When the melody ends, he seems to start moving again, looking around the room, then at himself and his insect form. Then he turns to the demigod child and stares at him with so much confusion that it is apparent through his empty compound eyes. He opens his mandibles and utters exactly one word to him.

"Whom?"

"It worked!"

"Yes, it did! I wasn't sure it would even do anything. But here we are!"

"Ornos?"

"Yes, Ornos. You are Ornos. I brought you back. Remember?"

Ornos seemed to freeze again at the words "brought back", and huddles into a ball of chitin.

"...Brought? Back?"

"He is still not very much 'here'. I suppose what counts as exactly one devout believer only goes as far as this."

"What do we do then? Does he stays like this?"

"Maybe not. I am part true god too, remember? I can lend him a bit of my own permanent divinity."


Code: [Select]
Velklin feeds Ornos with 5 Mana: 3
Ornos looks questioningly as Velklin as the demigod child pours the Mana onto him. Suddenly, Ornos starts shaking violently, then begins to rapidly expand until he is the size of a basketball. He slowly stops expanding, and then starts contracting very slowly. He becomes brighter and hotter and shakier as he shrinks, prompting a pained yelp from Su Lin, who drops the beetle gone nuclear onto the floor.


Now, back to the present...


Which brings us to the present. With the fireworks.

You don't see the obelisk this time. What do you do now?


Current Characters





Spoiler: Lemmy | (30/30 HP) (click to show/hide)









Spoiler: Burt | (40/40 HP) (click to show/hide)






Logged
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Supernerd

  • Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (7/∞)
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2023, 07:54:45 pm »

Su Lin
'Practice what you preach, and preach what you practice.'

Su Lin felt confident that Ornos held the key to breaking the bottleneck in his cultivation, but it seemed like the resurrected god was not yet at the point where it could be effectively conversed with yet.

Evidently the integrity of the god was based on how many people believed in it. Who else could believe in it? Su Lin already had a lead. The narrator should definitely be capable of believing in it! After all, the narrator already was the one who described everything about Ornos, and thus already witnessed proof of its existence!

It also occurs to Su Lin that in addition to Qi, he also have a non-zero amount of Mana as well; though he does not currently have a use for it. Su Lin notes what Velklin just did, and decides to try it as well.

Action 1: Su Lin convinces the narrator to believe in Ornos.
Action 2: Su Lin attempts to transfer some of his Mana to Velklin
Action 3: Su Lin meditates.
Logged
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Strif3

  • Bay Watcher
  • The vulture on your shoulder
    • View Profile
Re: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (7/∞)
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2023, 04:32:51 am »

Velklin
:■■ ▪▪▪▪▪ ▪▪▪▪▪
:■ ▪▪▪▪▪ ▪▪▪▪▪ □□□

Velklin stares at the small, glowing beetle that is presently spitting magical energy everywhere like a firecracker. The look of frustration is plain on Velklin's face and all of his limbs are visibly stiffened.
"He'll probably stop by himself once he runs out of mana... So i guess this is what happens when you have mana but don't have a mana pool. Good to know."
Velklin remarks, then sighs and looks out the window of the spacecraft.

"So, uhh... where's that obelisk? Did we arrive on the wrong side of the asteroid? Ship, do a full visual sweep of the surface." Velklin says, addressing the ship's AI. He adds on "If that doesn't give it to us, it's probably underground. We probably won't need to dig it out, and should look for a hatch or something instead. I'm not looking forward to another spacewalk. Not without levitation... or a jetpack."

Action 2: Su Lin attempts to transfer some of his Mana to Velklin

"Huh-? Oh... Thank you, Mr. Lin..." Velklin says, flustered, the pale skin of his face becoming visibly reddish - clearly unused to being given something unconditionally and without having to beg for it. "It's appreciated- I'm feeling pretty tired for some reason. I think it was the obelisk that sapped half of my mana."

"I'd like to help you out by believing in Ornos, too, but... I, err... it's strange- " Velklin scratches the back of his neck, still just as flustered, or possibly more. "I don't think i can... Maybe it's 'cause of the divine blood in me, that prevents me from believing in gods as a mortal would. I just see them, like i do you or Burt or anyone else."

"Anyway, I wanna meditate too, with you. Maybe getting in touch with my surroundings will help me to learn telekinesis."


Action Recap
Action 1: Velklin orders ship AI to visually scan the entire moon.
Action 2: Velklin joins Su Lin in meditating.
Action 3: Velkin attempts to learn [Telekinesis] while meditating.
Logged
Freedom is not a spectrum.
Put me in chains, or stop telling me what to do.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18