Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Noblerivers: A Dwarf Resort - Overseers Wanted  (Read 13908 times)

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Resort: A visitor based succession fort (Overseers wanted)
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2023, 05:59:41 am »

Hi, I'm interested.
I do have a question about "All rooms, passages, and the general layout of the fort itself should be fancy." Backrooms should be exempt from this rule, no? Nobody expects the kitchens to be fancy.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2023, 06:03:31 am »

All of it, gold block workshops, only the finest foods.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2023, 09:02:13 am »

Hi, I'm interested.
I do have a question about "All rooms, passages, and the general layout of the fort itself should be fancy." Backrooms should be exempt from this rule, no? Nobody expects the kitchens to be fancy.
Just for the sake of challenge, let's say all of it has to be fancy. These dwarves are going to be stuck catering to all sorts of people, so they deserve nice things to look at in their personal areas. Their psyches are fragile enough as it is and it's good for business if the staff doesn't get depressed or go insane. Plus, imagine the reputation boost if it gets around that our resort treats the hired help just as well as the visitors.

Also, your name has been added to the list of players.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 10:41:01 am by Inatun »

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2023, 01:45:40 pm »

Makes sense. It's also hard to keep the visitors patrons out of places, so it's a bit practical even.

Btw, speaking of mods, DFHack and Dwarf Therapist aren't mods, you can use them even if they aren't installed at world gen.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2023, 01:47:36 pm »

We should probably embark on sand, because we will certainly need a lot of glass.

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2023, 02:04:31 pm »

We should probably embark on sand, because we will certainly need a lot of glass.
Understood, I'll look for sand during embark. Might as well look for clay too I guess.

While we're talking about DFHack, if I use it to set up autofish or something similar, are the settings saved within the same file we'll be passing around?

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2023, 06:35:34 pm »

Okay, we've got another person from Reddit joining us soon, which puts us at 7 players, and that seems like a good enough number to start at. I am currently swamped with stuff at college, but spring break is coming up this week so I should be able to get us up and running during that. In the meantime, I feel like we should discuss details.

I think it's a given that we want a waterfall, but should I scour for a place that has both a waterfall and a portion of a lake?
Should the location be close to existing hillocks or in terrain where a new hillock could be founded? This would give us a chance to become a barony at the very least which would enable wagons being sent our way. Is that much of a concern?
What level of savagery do we want? I suppose this comes down to how much excitement we want our guests to have and how much Fun we want to have as players.
How big are we willing to make the embark site?

Dwarves
What skills do we want our starting seven to have? Here's a rough list I just cooked up.
  • A carpenter
  • A stone carver and engraver
  • A general metalworker, for weapons, armor, and metal furniture
  • A cook and brewer to keep the taverns stocked with quality food and drink
  • A fisherdwarf, for a steady supply of fish and shells for crafting. Also available for odd jobs when the fish and shells stockpiles are full
  • A planter and general farm worker
  • A general craftsdwarf and clothier, to make things out of stones and shells and keep everyone clothed
Obviously somewhere in there we'll need miners, a doctor, and some sort of administrator, but I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze these skills in somewhere. What are your thoughts?

Meta
How long should someone have to play out their turn? Maybe a week? Do we give them some leeway as long as they're posting regular updates and making timely progress?
Are we using any mods? At most I was thinking just visual stuff like Detailed Landscapes rather than anything game-changing, but whatever it is the decision has to be finalized before I start generating any worlds.
What difficulty settings do we want? Should we deviate at all from the standard settings?

That's all the stuff I can think of at the moment. I've got to get back to homework now so I might not be replying for a while. Just think about it and we'll see if we can come to a consensus.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 06:54:37 pm by Inatun »

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2023, 05:08:01 am »

Might as well look for clay too I guess.
Pottery is cheap and doesn't look as cool as glass, it's a practical material, not luxury. I guess it's fine if you glaze it properly. actually more expensive than most materials - even some gems! We totally can use it.

While we're talking about DFHack, if I use it to set up autofish or something similar, are the settings saved within the same file we'll be passing around?
I'll try to test it, but I think for that you need to pass some files from dfhack along with the save.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 11:26:10 am by Baprr »

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2023, 11:23:43 am »

Clay has been removed from the desired criteria then. I'm setting minerals to everywhere by the way, so there's a high likelihood we'll get everything we need pretty easily, but am I correct in assuming that at the very least we want iron, silver, gold, and platinum, plus a flux stone layer?

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2023, 11:29:16 am »

Yeah sounds good, plus we can always trade our lavish souvenirs for lots of gold.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2023, 01:16:11 pm »

I just saw the edit to your post, so I guess I'm putting clay back on the list. Clay crafts decorated with mussel shells could be a good starting industry since both are functionally infinite.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2023, 03:54:05 pm »

the most important thing is to not ... overbuild ... like if we already have a main staircase, don't build five new ones on your turn.

that being said - I won't object if you do because freedom . but coherent fortresses are more fun to play :)

my favorite part is to try and mimic the style of the players that came before me. so if you define corridor sizes and room layout and whatnot on your first turn we can build off of that.

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2023, 09:57:14 pm »

Okay, I managed to find a spot where three small rivers converge that has everything we need. There is a waterfall, even though it's only a couple z-levels high, but there's a nice big pool at the bottom we could do something with. It's untamed wilds, but maybe we could market it as an exciting getaway. There's also the small matter of a tower popping up nearby and being surrounded by elves if I let history keep going a bit further though. What do you all think? I could mess with the history seed to see if we get less elves and no tower while keeping the geography.
https://imgur.com/a/DaPEBtB
Also, I know there's a way for images to show up directly in a forum post, but I'm not sure how to do it. Can anyone share the secret with me?

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2023, 01:25:00 am »

The place looks perfect. And to embed images like this

I think you need to put a direct link into the post (use the [img] thingy, I don't think it's called a header, I don't know - it's in the leftmost button right under Bold).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 01:27:13 am by Baprr »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2023, 01:34:03 am »

Also, I know there's a way for images to show up directly in a forum post, but I'm not sure how to do it. Can anyone share the secret with me?

This is the way:

Code: [Select]
[img]https://yourimageurlhere[/img]
You can also set the image pixel width (or height) if it's a large one (clicking it will enlarge it):

Code: [Select]
[img width=640]https://yourimageurlhere[/img]
There's also a button (says 'Insert Image' when hovering over it) for the image tags above the area where you type. It'll add the tags and you just have to paste the image url between them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15