Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Noblerivers: A Dwarf Resort - Overseers Wanted  (Read 13950 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Resort: A visitor based succession fort (Overseers wanted)
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2023, 02:21:24 am »

looks good . the embark is, surprisingly, not as important as people make it out to be.

though, I must admit Smallhands would have turned out very differently had there not been a constant shower of purple goop that infected our dwarves who then only moved at %50 speed. . .

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2023, 10:42:29 am »

Okay, towers keep popping up nearby by 250 no matter what history seed I use it seems. The one using the original history seed was founded in 119. Is it likely it'll still be founded in 119 if fortress mode begins before that?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2023, 11:01:43 am »

I believe towers aren't built after world gen, but couldn't find much info to confirm it.

The wiki only states that:

Quote from: Wiki
Necromancer towers (I) are special structures built by necromancers during world generation. The number of necromancer towers is influenced by human populations (which requires low savagery and large tracts of neutral land) and the number of secrets in world generation.

Haven't seen or heard of them built after world gen, so I'm pretty sure beginning the fort before the tower is built is safe.

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2023, 11:13:26 am »

Aaaaand the very next seed I try gives me exactly what I wanted. No tower nearby, all other races within range to be considered neighbors, and only two forest retreats in the same forest region so we're not completely surrounded by hippies. All of this and the world is at year 250. So we've got an embark location in a suitable world now, so I suppose the next step is to actually create the embark profile.

To-Do List
  • Decide on the skills for the starting dwarves.
  • Figure out what items and animals we're bringing.
  • Name the fortress, the site government, and work out a group symbol that'll be the resort's logo.
Drop some suggestions on what labors you think we should focus on and I'll fill in the gaps if that's okay. Same goes for items and animals.

As for names and the symbol, post your suggestions and I'll create some kind of poll.

Disclaimer: This is my first time even participating in a succession fort, much less starting one, so I have no idea what the standard practice is for deciding any of these things or if the OP gets blanket power over these decisions.

Bonus: Just did a test embark to look at nearby locations using the world screen, and the dwarf civ that would make most sense as our parent civilization has an alliance with our human and elven neighbors, so the placement of the resort is actually a lot more justified now it seems.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 11:20:55 am by Inatun »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2023, 11:25:02 am »

Give the starting dwarves mainly useless social skills and music skills.

Animals: peacocks, alpacas, cavies and cats

Disclaimer: This is my first time even participating in a succession fort, much less starting one, so I have no idea what the standard practice is for deciding any of these things or if the OP gets blanket power over these decisions.

Just go with what you like the most/feels the best for you -- it's your succession game. You'll anyway be responsible to keep things moving, so it's best it's something you like and feel comfortable with, imo. (This said with the experience of running only one succession game.)

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2023, 11:33:15 am »

Give the starting dwarves mainly useless social skills and music skills.
That's actually a good idea. No matter what skills I give the starting seven, we're bound to get migrants who are better at it than them, so why not ensure we have performers ready for when the resort opens?
I'm making sure to bring at least one good fighter and some war dogs though. This is untamed wilds and I've already spotted some giant alligators in the upper river.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 11:37:07 am by Inatun »

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2023, 11:49:18 am »

The upper portion of the site.

The pool at the bottom of the waterfall.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2023, 06:31:38 pm »

looks. . . ready for any number of ridiculous megaprojects. perfection

yeah dont sweat it we all know what to expect and if anything is out of place it will become clear.  you are the shot caller, since you have the responsibility of hosting the thread, and your word is generally final.

typically you would play the first year and journal, then pass it along! dwarf fortress file depot (DFFD) is the typical hosting service. and make sure to compress your save file with something like 7-zip before uploading!

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2023, 09:38:49 am »

Do you think fishing is going to be feasible in the lower pool? We've got things like giant alligators and giant snapping turtles in the water, but there aren't any ramps along the edges of the pool. Can they still get out if the z-level at the water's surface is dug out for fishing? Moreover, if a fisherdwarf gets spooked, will they accidentally dodge straight into the water? Can marksdwarves fire at creatures in the water?

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2023, 10:55:27 am »

Do you think fishing is going to be feasible in the lower pool? We've got things like giant alligators and giant snapping turtles in the water, but there aren't any ramps along the edges of the pool. Can they still get out if the z-level at the water's surface is dug out for fishing? Moreover, if a fisherdwarf gets spooked, will they accidentally dodge straight into the water? Can marksdwarves fire at creatures in the water?
I think its yes to all.

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2023, 11:24:23 am »

I think its yes to all.
Fishing via floor grates it is then. That should be an interesting project given the proximity to such dangerous wildlife, but once it's set up we might be set for food.

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2023, 03:06:23 pm »

I just overhauled the first post with more details about this game and to give it a bit more flavor. I've also put together a list of skills for the starting seven.

#1:Woodcutter, herbalist, carpenter, and melee fighter. This is the dwarf who's going to be interacting with the surface the most.
#2: Weaponsmith, armorsmith, and miner. These are untamed wilds, so I'd like quality weapons and armor as soon as possible.
#3: Stone carver, stone cutter, and engraver. Stone furniture and blocks are always necessary, plus it'll be nice to have a skilled engraver right from the start.
#4: Potter, glassmaker, gem cutter, gem setter, and bone carver. A general craftsdwarf for making things to export.
#5: Cook, brewer, thresher, and planter. A staple of any fort.
#6: Miner and doctor: Our Chief Medical Dwarf, just to make sure we have someone capable from the start.
#7: Admin and marksdwarf: Will function as broker, bookkeeper, and manager while also being a ranged fighter.

Each dwarf will also be a novice in some kind of performance skill. I knocked fishing off the list after learning that it can agitate the wildlife. We're surrounded by fruit and nut trees anyway, so food likely won't be an issue. I should be able to start my turn by the end of the day tomorrow.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2023, 03:09:38 pm »

Sounds good, im looking forward to this.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2023, 05:37:16 pm »

I made a Discord server so that even people who haven't gotten their forum accounts approved yet can join the discussion.

https://discord.gg/K9DbTHdQ

It's the bare minimum at the moment, but at least it's there. I'm not limiting it to players only either, so anyone who's just watching is free to join. If all goes according to plan I should be getting my first play session in sometime tonight.

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2023, 12:10:38 am »

And so it begins...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15