Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Noblerivers: A Dwarf Resort - Overseers Wanted  (Read 13269 times)

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noblerivers: A Dwarf Resort - Overseers Wanted
« on: February 27, 2023, 05:23:01 am »

Intro
It has been 250 years since Armok forged this world we know as the Domain of Wind. Since then, The Contained Swords has prospered, forging alliances with our dwarven cousins to the north in the Pulley of Lobsters, the humans to the west in The Puce Confederacies, and the elves to the south in The Beast of Covens. They have also repelled the goblins of the Tick of Alliance and managed to contain the vile forces of the tower of Claspcircled.

And yet, many in the kingdom feel isolated. Bound by a haunted steppe to the west and a towering mountain range to the east, the dwarves are running out of places to settle, and the wider world is beginning to beckon to some. Rumors of civilizations far afield are starting to excite the minds of many citizens.

It is in these circumstances that we find seven dwarves loading a wagon outside a tavern in Amazedlantern, the southernmost settlement in The Contained Swords. Their plan? To travel south through the Murk of Polish and into the untamed wilds of the Mysterious Jungle, to a place where three rivers join into one. Their goal? To create a nexus of knowledge and culture, and hopefully forge a gateway between their kingdom and the wider world. Though survival may be difficult, the location offers great potential to showcase the craft and ingenuity of the dwarves.

Their story is in your hands. How will you shape what becomes of this place?

Overview
The spirit of this succession fort is rather simple: to create a fortress devoted to hosting visitors and handling all the challenges that come with it. Expect lots of bar fights, spies, attempts to steal artifacts, and a massive number of suspects for every crime committed. Whatever can be done to draw in travelers will be our goal. More than that, it’s up to us to keep them safe in this savage landscape and maintain a good reputation. Overseers are also encouraged to create any megaprojects they think would fit the theme.

Biome Details:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Game Rules
-The citizen cap is 50 and the visitor cap is 100.

-Petitions for long-term residency and citizenship are to be denied automatically to avoid the number of citizens exceeding 50.

-If there's a type of zone that attracts visitors, it needs to be built. This includes taverns, libraries, and temples dedicated to various religions. Unofficial zones like statue gardens, zoos, and museums displaying artifacts are also encouraged.

-Zones are allowed to be set to citizens only for the first three years of the fort, but after that at least one tavern, library, and all temples and guildhalls must be set to allow visitors.

-Taverns must have tavern keepers serving drinks, and all zones that can have performers need at least one performer assigned.

-No minimalistic designs. All rooms, passages, and the general layout of the fort itself should be aesthetically pleasing to both creatures inside and outside the game.

Player Expectations
-Turns last one in-game year, ending at the beginning of Spring.

-Players have one week to complete their turn. I can make exceptions as long as you keep communicating with us and show your progress on the fort, but I'd rather not have you go more than three days past a week.

-Don't intentionally run the fortress into the ground. Depending on how far we get before something catastrophic happens, I reserve the right to roll the save back to right before the fort falls.

-Don't be dumb. This means no mining of adamantine and making sure that a capable military squad is on standby when cracking open any pockets of obsidian studded with precious gems. On top of that, take care not to rile up the wildlife or at the very least be prepared to respond properly when dealing with them. Finally, please resist the urge to mess with the caravans. It's bad for business.

-Don't be a dick. I'm not gonna tell you what you can or can't talk about here, but just please be civil and follow the general forum rules.

-Journal entries can be written in character or just from your view as a player, whatever your style is. Just make sure that you let us know what's going on and anything major you're building for the sake of future overseers. No one wants to pull a lever and accidentally activate Project Fuck The World Mk2.

-DFHack is going to be used, but the only commands allowed are ones that help manage the fort. Any commands that could be considered cheating are off limits.

If you're interested in being a part of this, drop a reply and I'll add you to the list of players.

Player Queue
_chax
Parry
Necabo
Inatun
Salmeuk
AvolitionBrit
Baprr

Journal Entries
Year 1: Inatun
Year 2: Salmeuk
Year 3: AvolitionBrit

We have a Discord!
The Discord channel is open to all, whether playing or just watching. Ideally I'd like most communication be done here on the forums, but I recognize that it takes time for forum accounts to be approved, so this is an alternate way to engage while waiting on that.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 12:08:34 pm by Inatun »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Resort (Succession game interest check)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 05:33:21 pm »

yup. consider me interested... perhaps a few others might join.

protips for succession games:

1. scout the embark to make sure it fits with the concept at hand (ie. low lag, access to ornate metals, water features maybe? ). after scouting, you can quit the game with the dfhack command 'die' and this will neatly prevent a save from occurring. or just force quit the game. unless you are going for true RNG, sight-unseen embark
2. keep the player list updated so people know who is playing
3. listing the successive player journals in a table of contents is always a nice touch
4. as OP you are responsible for kicking the can along and sending PM's to alert players their turn has arrived

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 05:41:00 pm »

I am also interested. A true dwarven resort, waterfalls and all. Will be interesting if the resort gets overtaken. Additionally a key goal should try and make our fort worth an ridiculous amount of money.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 06:48:04 pm »

yup. consider me interested... perhaps a few others might join.

protips for succession games:

1. scout the embark to make sure it fits with the concept at hand (ie. low lag, access to ornate metals, water features maybe? ). after scouting, you can quit the game with the dfhack command 'die' and this will neatly prevent a save from occurring. or just force quit the game. unless you are going for true RNG, sight-unseen embark
2. keep the player list updated so people know who is playing
3. listing the successive player journals in a table of contents is always a nice touch
4. as OP you are responsible for kicking the can along and sending PM's to alert players their turn has arrived

Got it. Personally I think an area with both a waterfall and a lake would be ideal. Given the rarity of such a site, I suppose this would justify setting minerals to 'everywhere' to make sure access to plenty of high value metals.
I am also interested. A true dwarven resort, waterfalls and all. Will be interesting if the resort gets overtaken. Additionally a key goal should try and make our fort worth an ridiculous amount of money.
Oh yes, producing large amounts of useless crap finished goods would only be natural for a resort town. It would also probably be fitting to adorn everything with the image of the site government wherever possible to increase brand awareness.

Just to be clear, I'm open to modifying the proposed rules given any suggestions that a majority of the starting players would agree on.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 06:50:26 pm by Inatun »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 06:54:49 pm »

Looks interesting, but I'll just post to watch for now.

(BTW, which DF version will you be using?)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 07:10:59 pm »

good question. I'm open to both 47.05 and premium (grievances be damned, the music is just too good).

I think the rules as stated are fitting. none are horribly constrictive and leave space for player agency. maybe you should declare a popcap now? If we keep the citizen population at, say, 30-50, this would allow for ambushing squads and various other attackers but nothing crazy strong like a siege. And assuming we manage to attract a full population of visitors, then a total agent population of 100 - 150 (50 citizens + 100 visitors) is FPS friendly

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 07:52:50 pm »

I was planning on using the premium version. The new labor system and the UI changes are a must for me now. I also feel like we should discuss mods. I'm not suggesting anything game-changing, just DFHack and visual mods like Detailed Landscapes. What are your thoughts on those?

I'll also edit the first post to make it clear that the rules listed there are in place now, including the citizen cap being 50 and the visitor cap being 100. I have a technical question though. If we're going to keep the citizen cap at 50, can that be bypassed by long-term residents and them potentially petitioning to become full citizens? I agree that the cap should be kept low so that sieges aren't triggered, I just want to make sure there aren't any loopholes that could get the fort to that threshold.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 04:54:03 am »

I have nothing to add to the conversation, but a PTW.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 03:05:31 pm »

I was planning on using the premium version. The new labor system and the UI changes are a must for me now. I also feel like we should discuss mods. I'm not suggesting anything game-changing, just DFHack and visual mods like Detailed Landscapes. What are your thoughts on those?

I'll also edit the first post to make it clear that the rules listed there are in place now, including the citizen cap being 50 and the visitor cap being 100. I have a technical question though. If we're going to keep the citizen cap at 50, can that be bypassed by long-term residents and them potentially petitioning to become full citizens? I agree that the cap should be kept low so that sieges aren't triggered, I just want to make sure there aren't any loopholes that could get the fort to that threshold.

yeah. we should simply have a rule that petitions are to be ignored ("Sorry sir, your job application has been reviewed and you are not fit for the position of Sauna Attendant.")

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2023, 03:25:31 pm »

yeah. we should simply have a rule that petitions are to be ignored ("Sorry sir, your job application has been reviewed and you are not fit for the position of Sauna Attendant.")
Added to the first post.

Also, I'm going to start generating worlds to look for suitable embark sites. I'll use the advanced world generator and manually enter seeds so that I can start now and answer the question of mods later.

Edit: Are we okay with dealing with light aquifers? I'll make sure there are some stone layers above the aquifer at the very least, but not excluding light aquifers would help with the site-finding process.

Also, how many players should we wait for before starting? Currently it's just the three of us playing plus two watchers. Would a few good journal entries attract others?

Finally, I know FPS is a concern, so what steps should I take during world generation to mitigate FPS drop?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 05:16:09 pm by Inatun »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Resort: A visitor based succession fort (Overseers wanted)
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 06:35:01 pm »

I find that too long a history during world gen can result in too many extant populations. the best way to mitigate that is generate small worlds, instead of medium worlds. If you DO want to play with the larger and more interesting medium world, then halting the worldgen around year 250 is my recommendation..

We might get more players but honestly the forums are quiet as of late. if you made a post on reddit or wherever else people gather (discord?) we might find more takers.

aquifers aint no big deal imo

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2023, 07:23:24 pm »

So...you're making Vegas?
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2023, 07:57:34 pm »

our only export will be pairs of dice and regret

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2023, 07:58:32 pm »

PTW, this is a very interesting idea
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2023, 08:17:26 pm »

So...you're making Vegas?
I mean...probably.
Drunkenness, crime, performing arts, insane vanity projects...
The only things out of place might be the libraries and temples. I don't think Vegas attracts a lot of scholars or saints. If you want to try and give it a touch of Vegas, I won't say no.
I find that too long a history during world gen can result in too many extant populations. the best way to mitigate that is generate small worlds, instead of medium worlds. If you DO want to play with the larger and more interesting medium world, then halting the worldgen around year 250 is my recommendation..

We might get more players but honestly the forums are quiet as of late. if you made a post on reddit or wherever else people gather (discord?) we might find more takers.

aquifers aint no big deal imo
I think I'll go for medium worlds at 250 years then. I've also already made a reddit post, but I'll look for a DF discord channel when I get the chance.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15