Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Lets Play Dragonball T, a module for ToME3  (Read 25438 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play Dragonball T, a module for ToME3
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2013, 04:03:39 am »

Well remember that Dragonball has its own rules on being a ghost.

In that ghosts had no real limitations put on them.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2013, 03:46:35 pm »

Damn you all for getting me to fire this up again - OK actually I forgot how neat this was.  I have been trying to get the hang of it again and dying to stupidity but at least at higher and higher levels so it hurts so much more.  Once you lose in the World Tournament that's it right?   I died later anyway but is it ever possible to return - like "next year" as the ticket girl says (but man waiting a year, ouch)?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2013, 04:00:59 pm »

Once you lose in the World Tournament that's it right?

Yes, one loss and you lose the Tournament. Re-entering in subsequent years is not implemented. But on the bright side, you don't die.

The tourny, of course, is really just a plot hook. It's not important to the overall game so don't stress too much if you lose.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2013, 01:32:30 am »

While taking yet another futile look for a more recent version, I found archives of the old wiki. Edit dates range from 2007 to 2009,, and there's some extremely old and incorrect information, but some of the material does relate to V.91, which happens to be the version that people are playing.

http://web.archive.org/web/20090427104318/http://wiki.t-o-m-e.net/Modules/Dragon_Ball_T
http://web.archive.org/web/20090330074858/http://wiki.t-o-m-e.net/Modules/Dragon_Ball_T/Useful_Tips
http://web.archive.org/web/20090330062744/http://wiki.t-o-m-e.net/Modules/Dragon_Ball_T/Spoliers_and_Gathered_Lore

I'd advise against taking anything on those pages as fact, but I see a couple tidbits that are relevant, and that people are unlikely to discover on their own. For example...the fan lady doesn't appear in V.91, but there's mention of the martial arts sushi eating ability, discussion of alternate Dr Briefs paths, and some other possibly useful things.

darkshaed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2013, 10:40:20 pm »

Lord Bucket, just wanted to thank you for making this module, I've been looking for a way to play this for ages. Its one of my favorite roguelikes. Thanks

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2013, 12:37:05 pm »

Lord Bucket, just wanted to thank you for making this module, I've been looking for a way
to play this for ages. Its one of my favorite roguelikes. Thanks

And it was a fun time in my life, building it. I miss it. I'll try to answer questions if you have them, but as described elsewhere in the thread the engine was abandoned and the final ~six months worth of development were lost. I don't have a more recent version than the V.91 that's floating around out there, which unfortunately has some fairly game-breaking bugs, several missing important quest chains, pretty much all of planet Namek is gone, and two out of three of the higher tier character development trees are inaccessible.

If you'd like to play for nostalgia reasons, your first hurdle is going to be getting T3 to actually run on a modern computer. V.91 of the module is for T3 alpha 18. The SDL implementation was unfinished when the engine was abandoned, and the windows releases were notoriously unreliable towards the end. If you don't have a linux system, your next best bet would be I think windows 98/2000/XP. T3 on more recent versions of windows tends to render high ascii characters invisibly. There should be two executables. A tome.exe and a tome-sdl.exe. Try them both, see which one works better. The invisible terrain problem can be improved by worked around by manually editing the terrain feature list to use 7 bit ascii only.

Once you get around that, your next hurdle is going to be that firearms is broken by a stupid bug, technomancy was not finished in V.91, and half of the chi trainers are either broken or missing for various reason. So you're pretty much reduced to playing a generic, unenhanced barehanded or weapons fighter. Also, the dance/ninjutsu quest trees are broken. So...a kungfu based weapons build or either sumo/high health or judo/dodge based barehanded build will get you up to level 20 to 30 or so. If you want to invest in chi, Roshi, Kami and the North Kaio are all broken and the Abbot doesn't spawn correctly after the temple is cleared, but Crane hermit and Korin should both be fine. I think Splinter is broken, but you might check Shredder. He might train you if you can manage to talk to him. It's probably safer to not bother with Chi though and simply invest your points in melee. I recommend taking technology to level 3-7 or so to get access to basic tools to make up for the missing skill trees. It should help. Doing all that, and carefully avoiding talking to Roshi, Bulma, Pilaf, any of the TMNT characters and probably a couple others with broken dialogue, and you can probably play through to Orinji Temple. After that, you'll pretty much hit a wall once you reach Muscle Tower because alpha 18 broke ego items so there's no way to resist status effects. You might try taking up acupuncture and healing yourself a lot, but I just don't think it's realistic to play even much into the middle part of the game.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 25, 2013, 04:17:19 pm »

After getting Kung Fu fever, I booted this game up again.  Still loads of fun, even if a bit limited.

Let us know if you create anything else, LordBucket!

I'd disagree on not talking to Roshi or Pilaf.  At the very least, players should kill Pilaf when they have a place to store dragonballs, as he usually drops one.  Roshi can safely be spoken with once, and has a vital skill for barehanded characters.  The key is to find the file which lists Roshi's skills and make sure you have all the skillpoints you need prior to speaking with him.

Same with Splinter, you can speak with him once and then it's broken.

Also, only challenging dance is broken.  Challenging ninja is only slightly broken (shades should protect against the ninja master's blinding attack, but don't, so half the fight you'll spend stumbling around blindly in a room filled with traps, but you can challenge him successfully).

Lots of fun, can at least try to kill off as many school masters as possible.   8)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 25, 2013, 09:28:32 pm »

I can't find the command to attack friendlies.

Hmm. Looks bugged in this version. Help files say that - and + are "force specify attack" but they appear to not work. I'm able to use technology items and chi attacks to cause damage to friendlies, but they don't become hostile like they're supposed to. I suppose if you just want to kill them, use ranged tools and abilities and they'll just stand there and let you.

It's actually not bugged: I found the command to attack friendlies.  Press "=" to access options, then under "Dragonball T Options" the very first thing is "Never Attack Friendlies".  Just turn that off, and you can kill friendlies by walking into them and confirming.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2014, 02:31:14 pm »

Any chance of seeing that remade for ToME 4?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2014, 07:28:01 pm »

No. I invested years into T3 modules, the T3 wiki, writing T3 module developer guides, answering forum questions about T3, generally working with and communicating with people about T3, and if you look around the web you might even find some scans of fliers that I had printed and distributed with the convention swag bags at Anime LA.

Then DarkGod started releasing alphas that completely screwed up the engine, broke a bunch of things that had been working for ages, and after we'd spent about six months continuing development for those new releases assuming the problems would eventually be fixed, one day he announced T4.

So he then strung us along for another six months, continually insisting that T3 development would continue, asking several of us to pitch in and help, until eventually I was working on the official T3 module itself. Then eventually with a great big 'fuck you' to all of us it was totally abandoned, the wiki and over a year's worth of documentation we'd made vanished without warning, the modules site was taken down without any backups made, and I was left with half functional modules I'd invested years of my time into for an engine that was less functional than it would have been if he's simply let it go and told us he was abandoning it in the first place rather than continually stringing us along with increasingly buggy releases.

So he apologized, because he knew how badly he'd screwed us over.

Meanwhile, I'd invested literally thousands of hours over three years learning, developing for and supporting an engine that was abandoned in bad condition.

I have no reason to invest myself into his latest project.

I have occasionally, over the years, considering porting Dragonball Tto adobe flash and releasing it on a games portal. But at this late date, Oculus Rift is probably coming out next year, we're going to be gaming in VR soon...I feel like it's a bit late in the game to be developing 2d roguelikes.

I enjoyed working on DBT. It was a lot of fun, and it would have ended up being the de facto flagship game of the engine. Certainly more people played it over the years than ever played the official ToME3 module. I enjoyed working on Bubblgegum Crisis, with its crazy three-dimensional highway system and fully dynamically generated mission content. I enjoyed working on Zombie Horror, my T3 submission to one year's seven-day-roguelike contest, a game that was terrifying, with thematic music that adapted as elements in the game changed, and quite possibly the most epic and memorable boss fight* of the roguelike genre. And I enjoyed working on BAMBIS: Beautiful Alien Merchant Babes in Space, which was a NSFW  roguelike datesim based on TradeWars 2002.

I had a lot of fun with T3.

But...it's done. It's gone. Most of what I did with it won't even run on modern operating systems. And the last six months and couple versions of DBT were forever lost when DarkGod not having kept a backup of the modules site was followed on my end by a hard drive wipe of the last remaining copy.

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2014, 10:11:07 pm »

I've heard the promise of playing VR video games for over 20 years (anyone remember the VirtualBoy?).  I'm not holding my breath for it.

Otherwise, we understand.  Still fun to boot these up from time-to-time.

darkshaed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 30, 2023, 05:00:49 pm »

No. I invested years into T3 modules, the T3 wiki, writing T3 module developer guides, answering forum questions about T3, generally working with and communicating with people about T3, and if you look around the web you might even find some scans of fliers that I had printed and distributed with the convention swag bags at Anime LA.

Then DarkGod started releasing alphas that completely screwed up the engine, broke a bunch of things that had been working for ages, and after we'd spent about six months continuing development for those new releases assuming the problems would eventually be fixed, one day he announced T4.

So he then strung us along for another six months, continually insisting that T3 development would continue, asking several of us to pitch in and help, until eventually I was working on the official T3 module itself. Then eventually with a great big 'fuck you' to all of us it was totally abandoned, the wiki and over a year's worth of documentation we'd made vanished without warning, the modules site was taken down without any backups made, and I was left with half functional modules I'd invested years of my time into for an engine that was less functional than it would have been if he's simply let it go and told us he was abandoning it in the first place rather than continually stringing us along with increasingly buggy releases.

So he apologized, because he knew how badly he'd screwed us over.

Meanwhile, I'd invested literally thousands of hours over three years learning, developing for and supporting an engine that was abandoned in bad condition.

I have no reason to invest myself into his latest project.

I have occasionally, over the years, considering porting Dragonball Tto adobe flash and releasing it on a games portal. But at this late date, Oculus Rift is probably coming out next year, we're going to be gaming in VR soon...I feel like it's a bit late in the game to be developing 2d roguelikes.

I enjoyed working on DBT. It was a lot of fun, and it would have ended up being the de facto flagship game of the engine. Certainly more people played it over the years than ever played the official ToME3 module. I enjoyed working on Bubblgegum Crisis, with its crazy three-dimensional highway system and fully dynamically generated mission content. I enjoyed working on Zombie Horror, my T3 submission to one year's seven-day-roguelike contest, a game that was terrifying, with thematic music that adapted as elements in the game changed, and quite possibly the most epic and memorable boss fight* of the roguelike genre. And I enjoyed working on BAMBIS: Beautiful Alien Merchant Babes in Space, which was a NSFW  roguelike datesim based on TradeWars 2002.

I had a lot of fun with T3.

But...it's done. It's gone. Most of what I did with it won't even run on modern operating systems. And the last six months and couple versions of DBT were forever lost when DarkGod not having kept a backup of the modules site was followed on my end by a hard drive wipe of the last remaining copy.

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)

Been almost 10 years and I still think about your dragon ball T module. Did you ever port it somewhere else?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2023, 12:38:06 am »

Damn, blast from the past.

I also occasionally think about this game/mod as well.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]