Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 141

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 98172 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2023, 01:13:03 pm »

I have a feeling that instability is growing in the "Post-Soviet" space.

Armenia and Azerbaijan are close to an even bigger war than in 2020

Weird stuff is happening in Moldova, I think it is likely that it will be involved in the Ukrainian war in one way or another soon.

Georgia... The situation there reminds Ukraine 2014. A LOT. Corrupt Pro-Russian government pushes the country closer and closer to Russia while talking about wanting to move towards EU. There is even a direct parallel Saakashvili-Tymoshenko. Right now, there are clashes with riot police in Tbilisi and even if this episode won't explode into a major crisis, I am sure that it will come later. To make matter worse, many "anti-war" (aka I want to see Ukraine destroyed ASAP but I value my life and don't want to be drafted) Russians fled to Georgia. I would be shocked if FSB didn't infiltrate a lot of agents using this situation.

Don't know much about Central Asia, but I heard that they started to feel the effects of the Russian recession on their own economies
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2023, 01:53:25 pm »

The entire reason Wagner exists is so Russia has a force for military adventurism that doesn't involve official Russian forces. This allows them to push a lot further internationally than they could safely risk if they weren't using a semi-deniable proxy - Syria's a good example. The US is maintaining an active and open military presence, so sending official Russian forces to back the other side raises the serious risk of Official Americans shooting Official Russians. Or, in other words, a direct shooting incident between nuclear powers. Sending Wagner instead allows for a "oh, no, those aren't ours" way out when, for example, Wagner forces attack a base and the US simply erases them.

Now that still seems like a moronic thing to me, because it still means you have a technically independant military force based out of your own country, that is going to become a rival to your actual military. There's plenty of ways to be hands off but still militarily intervene without having to act through a PMC as a proxy. Local militants, the militaries of allied and/or subect nations, 'volunteer' extranational forces.

The whole Cold War was a practice in superpowers fighting without actually fighting, a PMC just feels like such an amatuerish way to go about it.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2023, 02:38:25 pm »

The entire reason Wagner exists is so Russia has a force for military adventurism that doesn't involve official Russian forces. This allows them to push a lot further internationally than they could safely risk if they weren't using a semi-deniable proxy - Syria's a good example. The US is maintaining an active and open military presence, so sending official Russian forces to back the other side raises the serious risk of Official Americans shooting Official Russians. Or, in other words, a direct shooting incident between nuclear powers. Sending Wagner instead allows for a "oh, no, those aren't ours" way out when, for example, Wagner forces attack a base and the US simply erases them.

Now that still seems like a moronic thing to me, because it still means you have a technically independant military force based out of your own country, that is going to become a rival to your actual military. There's plenty of ways to be hands off but still militarily intervene without having to act through a PMC as a proxy. Local militants, the militaries of allied and/or subect nations, 'volunteer' extranational forces.

The whole Cold War was a practice in superpowers fighting without actually fighting, a PMC just feels like such an amatuerish way to go about it.
It does reek of warlordism. A further breakup Russia is likely.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2023, 03:19:52 pm »

Moronic? I would say the exact opposite. PMCs allowed Russia a modicum of plausible deniability, operating with almost no oversight or effective legal constraints and have been very effective (and still are in Africa) in pursue Russian objectives in more overt terms because only an idiot would engage the one holding the biggest stick with traditional means.

Also FYI most countries use some variant of mercs, at one point USA had in Iraq almost as many PMCs as regular soldiers (iirc close to 100k, which more than what Wagner have atm)

Edited.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 03:27:19 pm by jipehog »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2023, 03:34:41 pm »

Moronic? I would say the exact opposite. PMCs allowed Russia a modicum of plausible deniability, operating with almost no oversight or effective legal constraints and have been very effective (and still are in Africa) in pursue Russian objectives in more overt terms because only an idiot would engage the one holding the biggest stick with traditional means.

Also FYI most countries use some variant of mercs, at one point USA had in Iraq almost as many PMCs as regular soldiers (iirc close to 100k, which more than what Wagner have atm)

Edited.
Yes, but in the US, all the PMCs were under the control of the same person. By which I mean, Shadow Vice President Dick Cheney.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2023, 03:52:39 pm »

This isn't a bug, its a feature.
Putin has deliberately broken up the army into multiple different competing structures so that no one group or leader can amass enough power to meaningfully challenge or (god forbid) overthrow him.

This fragmentation weakens the military power of Russia of course, but a weaker Russian military is less of an problem to Putin then getting lined up against the wall by a firing squad and shot.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2023, 04:13:41 pm »

It also reminds me of the beginning of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms and the background to the Sengoku Period of Japan...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2023, 06:27:18 pm »

What is long divided must unite

What is long united must divide

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2023, 08:34:36 pm »

Post to watch
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2023, 05:23:44 am »

We are fucked on so many levels, I hope I can finish my education before a civil war happens so I can move out because I sure as hell am not going to fight.
Are you sure it isn't time to say fuck the education and leave before it's to late to do so?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2023, 06:34:11 am »

We are fucked on so many levels, I hope I can finish my education before a civil war happens so I can move out because I sure as hell am not going to fight.
Are you sure it isn't time to say fuck the education and leave before it's to late to do so?
Nah if the war starts early I'll just leave, I'm close to a border with a neutral country so it'll be fine.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2023, 09:14:27 am »

Unfortunately, the thread move means everyone has to subscribe to the new thread. But hopefully we can now alternate between the two in the future. If I can remember the old one exists... :P

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2023, 04:33:45 pm »

So, it looks like Georgia is about to enter a major political crisis, perhaps to the extent of Ukraine 2014.

Not entirely off-topic because 1) the current Georgian government helps Russia to circumvent sanctions 2) Russia is insane enough to invade Georgia opening one more front.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2023, 04:49:59 pm »

So, it looks like Georgia is about to enter a major political crisis, perhaps to the extent of Ukraine 2014.

Not entirely off-topic because 1) the current Georgian government helps Russia to circumvent sanctions 2) Russia is insane enough to invade Georgia opening one more front.
Aw shit, here we go again

>Russian military occupation of territory
>pro-Russian government baits population with talks of EU membership but balks
>protests in the street against pro-Russian government
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 141