Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 141

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 99371 times)

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #195 on: March 29, 2023, 10:34:08 am »

I noticed that Zelensky, or whoever is his speech writer, is rather good at making historic analogues, including to Churchill.

Personally, I doubt that Ukraine domestic weapons could have played any significant role

Not sure how we got to lubricated Maoists

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2023, 02:26:20 am »

Not sure how we got to lubricated Maoists
But just think about how well they'll slide and how hard it would be to catch them afterward.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 30, 2023, 04:50:23 am »

After his 12 year old daughter made an anti-war drawing at school, a Russian man has been sentenced to 2 years in a penal colony. His 12 year old daughter has been sent to psychiatric care.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 30, 2023, 05:55:51 am »

After his 12 year old daughter made an anti-war drawing at school, a Russian man has been sentenced to 2 years in a penal colony. His 12 year old daughter has been sent to psychiatric care.
The real story is still bad but there are more nuances

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/28/russian-man-detained-after-daughters-anti-war-drawings-flees-house-arrest
A Russian man who was detained by police after his daughter drew anti-war pictures at school was sentenced on Tuesday to two years after being convicted of discrediting the armed force.

But in a dramatic turn of events, a court spokesperson said the man, Alexei Moskalyov, had fled house arrest overnight and his whereabouts were currently not known
Moskalyov, a single parent from the town of Yefremov, 150 miles south of Moscow, has been separated from his 13-year-old daughter since he was placed under house arrest at the start of this month and she was moved to a state-run shelter.

The family said they had faced pressure from police since last April when his daughter, a sixth-grader, refused to participate in a patriotic class at her school and made several drawings showing rockets being fired at a family standing under a Ukrainian flag and another that said “Glory to Ukraine!”

School officials at the time summoned the police, who questioned the girl and threatened her father.

Police then began examining Moskalyov’s social media activity and the father was eventually charged with discrediting the armed forces for his posts in which he called the Russian regime “terrorists” and described the Russian army as “rapists”.
According to the MSK1 news outlet, the children’s shelter was having an “emergency” meeting following the news that Moskalyov had fled.

Moskalyov’s lawyer, Vladimir Bilienko, previously told the Guardian that the girl would be moved to an orphanage if no close relative could be found who was willing to take care of her.

So tl, dr:
- he wasnt in a penal colony. He was under house arrest
- he was sentenced for his ownposts. Not for his daughters drawings (which did draw attention to him though)
-  the child was in a shelter, not under psychiatric care
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #199 on: March 30, 2023, 06:01:57 am »

But just think about how well they'll slide and how hard it would be to catch them afterward.
Peng Deuhai's boys in Korea were legendarily slippery maoists. The ability to move hundreds of thousands of men into enemy lines whilst being observed by enemy aircraft and do so undetected is just incredible deception, organisational and maneuvre acumen

So tl, dr:
- he was sentenced for his ownposts. Not for his daughters drawings (which did draw attention to him though)
Attention citizen, your patriotism levels have fallen below acceptable legal limits

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 30, 2023, 06:08:25 am »

He was under house arrest, but he has been sentenced to 2 years penal colony. He fled his house arrest and was found and arrested today. He is probably in the penal colony now.

'Shelter', yeaah sure. That's just Russia's word for child psych ward in this case
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 30, 2023, 06:52:59 am »

'Shelter', yeaah sure. That's just Russia's word for child psych ward in this case

More like a prison with beatings and other forms of torture. As more and more Ukrainian children come home from that hell (the lucky ones), more and more testimonies come.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 31, 2023, 04:29:10 am »

I'm assuming that say at the "shelter" also includes reeducation as part of it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 31, 2023, 10:26:07 am »

I'm assuming that say at the "shelter" also includes reeducation as part of it.

https://www.occrp.org/en/37-ccblog/ccblog/17474-how-two-ukrainian-teenagers-escaped-russian-captivity

And I am more horrified thinking about what happens with children 10 and younger
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 02, 2023, 11:53:06 am »

An explosion in a St Petersburg cafe has killed prominent Russian military blogger Vladlen Tatarsky, Russia's Interior Ministry has confirmed.

At least 16 people were injured in the Street Bar Cafe explosion, police say.

Videos posted on social media show an explosion and injured people on the street. It is not clear who was responsible for the blast.

Vladlen Tatarsky (real name Maxim Fomin) was a vocal supporter of Russia's war in Ukraine,

He had reported from the Ukraine frontline and gained particular notoriety last year after posting a video filmed inside the Kremlin in which he said "We will defeat everyone, we will kill everyone, we will rob everyone as necessary. Just as we like it."

Khe-khe. Killing and robing aren't safe. Who knew?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 02, 2023, 01:58:35 pm »

Well, he got to experience what he liked in his final moments.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 02, 2023, 02:05:12 pm »

Uh, that's terrorism, though.

I don't think bombing cafés is a good development.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 02, 2023, 02:27:20 pm »

Uh, that's terrorism, though.

Presumably, one of those 16 people who were injured was not a willing participant in the Russian War Machine.

Terrorism is a sign and tool of all rebel movements.  It's a sign that someone in Russia is fed up with the war.  The real question is whether this is an isolated incident of a loner, or whether an actual resistance is forming.  Since the attacks have been rare and piecemeal, I'm guessing small disjointed groups at the most.

The good news is that we're hearing about attacks against the idealogues, so we're seeing an anti-war anti-fascist movement.  We're probably only getting info on the attacks against the civilian idealogues, as any military casualties due to partisan action can be completely hidden and government agents can be partially hidden. 
"Our rebels only target civilians" is a powerful message, which Russia is unlikely to lessen with further facts.

It's good info, but maybe we avoid too much cheering for death & destruction.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 02, 2023, 02:33:51 pm »

A leaked intercepted phone conversation between high-profile Moscow music (one of Putin's representatives in the last election) Iosif Prigozhin and Russian oligarch former senator Farhad Akhmedov described in a very colorful way what many in Russia really think about the Putins war and too afraid to say outloud.

I don't know who is behind it, certainly there are far more interesting targets in Russia for Ukraine that are vital to its war effort

Otherwise lets not be naive, this is war and though its not often mentioned people blown up isn't all that uncommon especially if they are collaborators in occupied territories of Ukraine, but overall it dwarfs in comparison to the scale of Russians bombing and shelling of civilian targets in Ukraine.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 03:18:35 pm by jipehog »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 02, 2023, 03:08:46 pm »

Do we even know it was Russian rebels? For all we know Putin could have organized it explicitly for propaganda, its not beyond him.

Especially as a bombing. If you wanted one guy in one cafe rebels would hurt their own image less by knifing or shooting him.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 141