Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 141

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 99079 times)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2023, 04:50:32 pm »

It's a weird mirror 2014 Ukraine. Massively pro-EU population; 75% support EU membership. A Pro-Russian government clearly passing laws to benefit the Russians and deliberately moving away from the EU. There's currently widespread protests with a big dose of Georgian and EU flags.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2023, 06:09:57 pm »

Inb4 accusation of it all being orchestrated by the CIA and western satanist therefore completely justifying any and all atrocities about to be committed :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2023, 10:01:58 pm »

"STOP MAKING ME BEAT YOU UP!" - Post-Soviet Russia
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2023, 10:16:13 pm »

PTW I still have nothing intelligent to say.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2023, 12:47:41 am »

So, it looks like Georgia is about to enter a major political crisis, perhaps to the extent of Ukraine 2014.

Not entirely off-topic because 1) the current Georgian government helps Russia to circumvent sanctions 2) Russia is insane enough to invade Georgia opening one more front.
Aw shit, here we go again

>Russian military occupation of territory
>pro-Russian government baits population with talks of EU membership but balks
>protests in the street against pro-Russian government

Just hoping that if/when things progress to Russia invading Georgia, people won't just stand idly by like last time.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2023, 03:13:06 am »

Sounds like Georgia is becoming Ukraine 2: Electric Boogaloo.

I'm sure the western satanists are involved and the whole thing is a plot to hurt Russia and that no genocide will come of it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2023, 04:20:34 am »

Sounds like Georgia is becoming Ukraine 2: Electric Boogaloo.

I'm sure the western satanists are involved and the whole thing is a plot to hurt Russia and that no genocide will come of it.

Well, Russia is unable to invade Georgia ATM so if they do everything quickly...

The draft which caused protests is already recalled so it may end soon. Or not. After the opposition gets what it wanted it either calms down or... becomes emboldened by their victory and demands more.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2023, 07:36:07 am »

Hey Strongpoint, what's the situation in Bakhmut? Our media is saying it has almost fallen but I don't trust them at all obv.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2023, 08:48:38 am »

Hey Strongpoint, what's the situation in Bakhmut? Our media is saying it has almost fallen but I don't trust them at all obv.
Short answer - Fog of war makes it extremely hard to say what is really happening there.

Slightly longer answer - it is almost encircled, the degree of that almost is hard to tell. Also eastern part of the city is no longer under Ukrainian control but how much of it is captured by Russian forces and how much of it is a gray zone is also extremely hard to tell.

I tend to trust this map: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/36a7f6a6f5a9448496de641cf64bd375  It usually proves to be relatively accurate but with so much conflicting information I don't think that they represent what is happening there well ATM.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2023, 08:51:01 am »

At least Georgia's Opposition Party can use Ukraine's history and defiance as a roadmap. It'll be hard, but at least they're not grappling blindly.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2023, 08:57:17 am »

At least Georgia's Opposition Party can use Ukraine's history and defiance as a roadmap. It'll be hard, but at least they're not grappling blindly.

On other hand, the Georgian government has a failed example of suppressing protests and may study what went wrong.

Lukashenka kinda did that... but there were many wrong things with Belarusian protests, starting with the lack of properly organized opposition with legal status.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2023, 09:17:13 am »

On other hand, the Georgian government has a failed example of suppressing protests and may study what went wrong.

Lukashenka kinda did that... but there were many wrong things with Belarusian protests, starting with the lack of properly organized opposition with legal status.
That is true, but arguably Moscow has fewer resources now to support their puppets, while the opposition has a rally point.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2023, 09:59:27 am »

Well, Russia is unable to invade Georgia ATM so if they do everything quickly...
What can they achieve though?

----

U.S. Officials Say, Intelligence Suggests Pro-Ukrainian Group Sabotaged Pipelines.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/07/us/politics/nord-stream-pipeline-sabotage-ukraine.html
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 10:01:50 am by jipehog »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2023, 02:24:01 pm »

Russia doesn't have the resources to actively fight in Georgia but they have already invested resources in pro-Russian groups within Georgia. Conflict in Georgia can only benefit Russia.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2023, 10:15:23 pm »

What can they achieve though?

----

U.S. Officials Say, Intelligence Suggests Pro-Ukrainian Group Sabotaged Pipelines.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/07/us/politics/nord-stream-pipeline-sabotage-ukraine.html

I feel like you answered your own question...

2024 headline: U.S. Officials Say, Intelligence Suggest Pro-Georgia Group Sabotaged Pipelines.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 141