Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 141

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 98929 times)

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #585 on: May 30, 2023, 09:41:02 am »

There is a video of drone exploding's on the outskirt of city, unless there is something hiding that woods and with several of them like this I am guessing they have been jammed/shootdown, with probably few taken over urban area.

Assume that much like with drone over Kremlin case, when Russia claimed it intended to assassinate Putin (it was so low yield that even if Putin was spending the night in there, he had to get out climb to flag poll and try to play catch with it to get hurt  ::) ) there is much hyperboly and framing here with Moscow trying to establishing false equivalence with their terrorist reign. (EDIT: beside the obvious threats of nuclear response )

I think it is a legit Ukrainian attack. It is of dubious effectiveness (Like those naval drones that fail to do real damage again and again. Last one, most likely, Mark14ed instead of adding to the Russian underwater fleet) but I think it is our attack that will not be publically admitted anytime soon.
The recent attack against the Russia naval ship manage to score a hit, forcing it to return into the safety of Sevastopol. Otherwise, I don't know what is the target/goal of the attack, or how many drones were involved beyond what was reported on Russian media.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 10:14:53 am by jipehog »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 30, 2023, 09:57:19 am »

The recent attack against the Russia naval ship manage to score a hit, forcing it to return into the safety of Sevastopol. Otherwise, I don't know what is the target/goal of the attack, or how many drones were involved beyond what was reported on Russian media.

Yes, it returned to Sevastopol with no visible damage. Considering that there was a video of how a drone rammed it, the only logical assumption is that it failed to detonate. 
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 30, 2023, 10:01:27 am »

maybe

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 30, 2023, 11:40:11 am »

Yes, it returned to Sevastopol with no visible damage. Considering that there was a video of how a drone rammed it, the only logical assumption is that it failed to detonate.
Forcing it to return to port is still a win.
Also "no visible damage"

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 30, 2023, 12:18:57 pm »

The only photos showing no damage that were not confirmed to be older were of the wrong side of the ship. We have no evidence other than Russia's strident claims that there was no damage.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 30, 2023, 02:36:58 pm »

The former head of Roscosmos, Dmitry Rogozin, called for blocking GPS throughout Russia and turning off all its stations in the country

Yes! Please! Do this! I want to enjoy the chaos!
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 30, 2023, 02:43:47 pm »

But.. there are no stations...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 30, 2023, 04:06:48 pm »

There's GLONASS. I had penned a thing about drone guidance, where I mentioned this as a possibly ironic backup-until-it's-jammed partner to GPS, before it has to rely only on inertial methods. But then multiple other posts came in and I abandoned that submission.

I don't know how much "civilian use uncertainty" they add (without actually reading the link I added) or whatever other ephemeral adjustments they might use to degrade their enemies' use of it (I can pick up the signals for use on my own GPS apps, certainly a couple of them, but never taken note of if they're used much vs. GPS and the other systems apparently out there).

But Russia will have the entire "civilian system kill switch" ability on those, at least, even if they have to stick to just jamming the US system (and any other up/downlink comms) within various 'protected areas'. Assuming they aren't equipping too much of their(/Wagner's) troops with civilian-only 'GPS' units, like was the issue with the US in Gulf War I.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 30, 2023, 09:57:03 pm »

Russian propagandist Vladimir Solovyev, however, claimed that Ukraine launched 32 drones of which some targeted the prestigious neighborhood of Rublyovka in Moscow Oblast.[2] A Russian independent outlet claimed that the drone strikes predominantly targeted areas near Russian President Vladimir Putin’s residence in Novo-Ogaryovo and other elite neighborhoods in Moscow Oblast.[3] Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin stated that several buildings in Moscow suffered minor damage, and Russian sources amplified footage of a minor explosion in the Novaya Moskva neighborhood.[4] A Russian milblogger claimed that drones flying over Moscow resembled Ukrainian attack drones.[5] Geolocated footage shows Russian forces shooting down drones identified as Ukrainian by OSINT accounts in several different areas of Moscow and Moscow Oblast.[6]
Seems more likely that it was an attack on Moscow. Meanwhile fighting continues in Belgorod in what the governor recently described as 'de facto state of war'.

EDIT: Although according to the Ukrainian version it was military base that was targeted in Moscow.

Regardless, I like how Russian position is being undermined as Ukraine slowly shifting the fighting to Russia own back yard. I suspect this will make many of Russia's stated apolitical citizens more involved.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 11:26:54 pm by jipehog »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 30, 2023, 11:21:17 pm »

Both those recent actions sound more like things that a group given equipment by Ukraine would do, instead of Ukraine itself.
The fact that Moscow is insisting that it's Ukraine means it's probably partisans. You can tell the nature of things by what Moscow doesn't want to admit.

...I do note these events seem to coincide with the Russian Front being suicide for the press ganged Russians and the civilians being required to work more for the same amount of money. I'm thinking some of the young people aren't putting up with that crap anymore.

If you give no other options, people will resist fiercely.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 31, 2023, 12:31:13 am »

Both those recent actions sound more like things that a group given equipment by Ukraine would do, instead of Ukraine itself.
The fact that Moscow is insisting that it's Ukraine means it's probably partisans. You can tell the nature of things by what Moscow doesn't want to admit.

It looks like the intended targets of those drones were in Rublyovka and other Moscow suburbs where rich people live. This kind of target is very logical for a partisan group, especially one with a left ideology.

Unsurprisingly, the air defense in that area is rather good. I hope they'll bring even more pulling away from other places.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 31, 2023, 12:46:18 am »

According to the linked video those hoods are in close proximity to the military base that was targeted, which make sense more than some left ideology group and explains the air defenses.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 12:50:38 am by jipehog »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 31, 2023, 03:21:17 am »

So it's sounding like it's an attack by anti-Russia people rather than another false flag, well that's good to hear.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 31, 2023, 06:40:51 am »

According to Dmitri Medvedev, the UK is waging 'an undeclared war against Russia'. He says that British officials who are in any way aiding Ukraine in it's fight are 'legitimate military targets'.
According to Medvedev, the UK is 'an eternal enemy' of Russia.

Inb4 article 5
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 31, 2023, 10:07:48 am »

It's what Medvedev does. His role us to spout extreme hyperbolic crap, so that the official Russian stance may seem more moderate and sensible.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 141