Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 138

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 89325 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2023, 04:00:23 am »

It won't happen on a social level. Fine if it's used to reduce morale.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2023, 04:06:20 am »

Russian leadership approved aggressive actions of jets that damaged U.S. drone, U.S. officials say
A lot of hemming and hawing going on if the source is true.

You don't dump fuel on a drone twice and ram it without it being an intentional attempt to bring down a drone.

As far as I'm concerned, it's an act of war. Don't let them salami tactic their way out of this.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2023, 05:46:49 am »

Reportedly an internal strategy document from Putin's Administration leaked which reveals the Kremlin's long-term strategy to destabilizing and reintegrating Moldova back into the Russian sphere of influence.

https://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-russias-secret-document-for-destabilizing-moldova-230008434.html

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2023, 12:41:14 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It would be funny if the Swedish hivemind sourced the idea from some far-right  thinktank dedicated to uniting with fellow authoritarian groups.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2023, 01:20:14 pm »

Belarus is complicated. Unlike Ukraine, they got no non-imperial name. Some Belarusians use Lytva (Lithuania) but this name has an obvious problem.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2023, 03:00:35 pm »

As far as I'm concerned, it's an act of war. Don't let them salami tactic their way out of this.

We didn't go to war when Iran shot a drone down. We didn't go to war when China forced a manned spy plane down. We didn't go to war when the Soviet Union shot down an allied nation's airliner. Wars rarely break out over incidents this small.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2023, 03:32:58 pm »

Apparently Mikhail Abdalkin, who listened to Putin's speech with noodles hanging over his ears, got fined for discrediting the army. And here I was, thinking the noodles were used to discredit Putin...

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2023, 04:10:31 pm »

We didn't go to war when Iran shot a drone down. We didn't go to war when China forced a manned spy plane down. We didn't go to war when the Soviet Union shot down an allied nation's airliner. Wars rarely break out over incidents this small.
An act of war is a casus belli. It doesn't mean war has to start, but you shouldn't ignore it nonchalantly by wording it as an "accident" when it clearly is anything but an accident, nor should you act like it's nothing.

By giving Muscovy a stern letter or a slap on the wrist, all you're doing is emboldening them by giving in to their salami tactics. It's tantamount to appeasement.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2023, 04:13:12 pm »

Anything can be defined as "an act of war" if you want a war badly enough. Remember the Maine? That doesn't mean it's not stupid.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2023, 08:12:19 pm »

I'm all for "accidentally" knocking out Russian aircrafts and ships. Everybody can get involved. What are they gonna do, declare war on a superior nuclear armed power?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2023, 08:42:11 pm »

Since the start of the conflict I've had my "Finger Snap" plan for what I'd do if I ever got such finger-snapping powers. No, it doesn't involve arbitrarily wiping half of any group of people out of existence, but it does involve invoking a series of quite specific vehicle/equipment malfunctions[1].

So... Watch out for that. It might be me who is doing these things[2] that I've thought way more about than I have done for how on earth I might even gain the capabilities.

[1] This being an 'I have complete control over reality'-level of situation... If my powers are somehow less than this, I have contingency versions of the plan to fall back on, however.

[2] Which I won't spell out, just so I can maintain plausible deniability without having to change reality also to make you and the forum all forget my premature boast that I later decide I shouldn't have made.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2023, 03:58:52 am »

I figure people will make a big deal out of this for a bit then everyone will forget because something new happened and Russia will get away with it, just like all those other times.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2023, 05:40:51 am »

It is a big deal. Even if the downing was unintentional, it is still a foregone conclusion of wider pattern of aggressive action risking dangerous escalation.

Obviously it is not going to lead to war but it can be leveraged in various forms that we may or may not read about, at very least it seem like a good time to announce Poland to transfer MiG-29 jets to Ukraine within days

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2023, 08:05:52 am »

at very least it seem like a good time to announce Poland to transfer MiG-29 jets to Ukraine within days

+10 from Slovakia

I'd very much prefer this being a thing a year ago... and F-16s... And with volunteer pilots included... but the world is imperfect.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 138