Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 143

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 103006 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1741 on: February 04, 2024, 03:28:16 am »

Defense Intelligence of Ukraine reported that they eliminated that some random thugs shot a Russian war criminal, pilot of a Tu-95 bomber who lobbed cruise missiles at Ukrainian cities.

I am deeply worried that Russia has such problems with violent crime. I hope that other Russian pilots will live in fear be more careful from now on.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: February 06, 2024, 04:25:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: February 06, 2024, 05:02:02 pm »

Yeah, I've got my popcorn ready. Tucker Carlson. What a champ for free speech. Fair and balanced. Both sides deserve to be heard.
You think they're supplying our buddy Tucker with a body double and a script, or will the genuine article drag his arse out of his bunker?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: February 06, 2024, 05:35:15 pm »

The president of Belarus, Alexander Lukashenko, has made changes to the laws that govern the country's armed forces, to grant servicemen the authority to use “firearms, special equipment, combat, and other equipment” when performing their duties, as reported by the Belarusian service of Radio Liberty.

According to the document, the use of weapons against citizens is permitted even in cases that only involve administrative offenses.

The new amendments specify that servicemen will not be held accountable for damages resulting from shootings conducted “in accordance with joint military statutes.”

This one is very worrisome for me. Belarus is stable and has a massive police force to deal with any protests. Why would Lukashenko do this then? My answer is that he is planning to do something so outrageously unpopular that unrest is guaranteed. This means either
A) Belarus will join the war
B) A huge chunk of sovereignty will be given up to Russia, up to full annexation.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: February 06, 2024, 09:28:53 pm »

Has there been protests within Belarus against the the Russia-Ukraine war (that were allowed to continue)? Is there any sort of mutual military agreements between Belarus and Russia, where “in accordance with joint military statutes" might apply?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: February 06, 2024, 09:29:20 pm »

That is pretty concerning, though my very, very distant understanding of Belarus's situation was that it was already fairly unstable with most people strongly disapproving of Lukashenko.  Maybe he sees the writing on the wall for reasons we don't know.

But it does seem at least somewhat plausible that Russia will try to annex Belarus or force them into the war.  Both of those would probably set off a lot of trouble, but I'm not going to pretend to rub my crystal ball and guess what the results would mean for Ukraine.  I could see it going either way, with Belarus devolving into civil war that distracts more from Russia's ability to fight, or them opening a new front of dubious capability.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: February 06, 2024, 11:23:08 pm »

Russia does fight for traditional values! The thing is, I want traditional values to be stomped on, set on fire, and thrown into a woodchipper. :P

I am a woke, LGBT western agent menace to Russian society who has not just zero but negative respect for my ancestors and my homeland's culture, history, and values.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 11:27:36 pm by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: February 06, 2024, 11:35:40 pm »

(On Belarus shenanigans...)

I'm minded that that's where elements of Wagner were sent (at least initially), immediately following the coup-that-wasn't. Not recently hearing much about the fate of those bits (though there were ones that we de-/re-stabilising bits of Africa, etc), I can only guess on which side of the equation they're to be found righf now... But it occured to me that if they're not already dealt with (or 'dealt with'), in the general post-Prigozhin process of reassessment, then they might factor into this kind of powerplay. Willingly or otherwise.

(Someone will tell me that they're all now fully filtered into whatever present role they individually might have, whether fighting force or farm fertiliser. Or both, in the case of the latest Storm V units, now with lower degrees of short-term amnesty... But there's not been a recent reminder/update on my usual newswires, so I'm just working off the last relevent reports I'm prompted to remember.)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: February 07, 2024, 07:05:38 am »

The president of Belarus, Alexander Lukashenko, has made changes to the laws that govern the country's armed forces, to grant servicemen the authority to use “firearms, special equipment, combat, and other equipment” when performing their duties, as reported by the Belarusian service of Radio Liberty.

According to the document, the use of weapons against citizens is permitted even in cases that only involve administrative offenses.

The new amendments specify that servicemen will not be held accountable for damages resulting from shootings conducted “in accordance with joint military statutes.”

This one is very worrisome for me. Belarus is stable and has a massive police force to deal with any protests. Why would Lukashenko do this then? My answer is that he is planning to do something so outrageously unpopular that unrest is guaranteed. This means either
A) Belarus will join the war
B) A huge chunk of sovereignty will be given up to Russia, up to full annexation.

C) Lukashenko launches a hostile takeover of Russia

I mean OK not that likely but
Love, scriver~

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: February 07, 2024, 09:02:28 am »

Russian cruise missiles do a LOUD boom when they blow up in the sky near your home.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: February 08, 2024, 12:01:51 pm »

Zelensky dismissed commander-in-chief Zaluzhny who was very popular and replaced him with a guy who is quite unpopular (especially in the army) but politically loyal to Zelensky.

Freaking wonderful. Just what we need during this stage of the war.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: February 08, 2024, 01:36:28 pm »

I feel like there has to be more to the story than just that, but that's all I've picked up from news headlines myself.  We'll probably never know the full details.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: February 08, 2024, 02:00:05 pm »

Yeah, it is hard to tell for sure.

I also have no idea if Syrsky is a good commander or not, I heard mixed opinions on that. But this decision is VERY unpopular, this one I am sure about. It doesn't help already low morale.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 143