Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minimum Height for Underground Forest?  (Read 715 times)

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
Minimum Height for Underground Forest?
« on: March 07, 2023, 06:37:11 am »

So I started running low on logs recently, and decided to mine out a few of layers close to the surface so that cavern moss could spread once I breached the caverns. I managed to mine out 3 levels, so I now have an artificial cavern with 3 layers of clearance. I breached the caverns and underground flora started to spread. But any tower caps don't seem to grow after becoming juvenile.
Is my artificial cavern simply not tall enough?

I can dig out more layers, but the floor becomes rock after this one, so would necessitate flooding and draining.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minimum Height for Underground Forest?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 05:10:32 pm »

You only need 2 z-levels for underground trees, but more is better as it lets them grow bigger.

Saplings take a while to grow, and there's a tree cap on the map, there can only be so many trees in existence. This may mean you need to cut down some of the trees on the surface and in the cavern for your tree farm saplings to get promoted into trees. Of course, your saplings will also be competing with "wild" saplings for those "promotion-to-tree" slots, so if you're serious it's also best to "salt the earth" so to speak, like building roads or digging downstairs where you want to eliminate saplings from growing.

Unfortunately the tree cap can just make it most practical to harvest the wild trees rather than having artificial caverns.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 05:13:05 pm by Panando »
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 08:13:10 pm »

I think it depends on the mushroom. From what I understand, any mushroom with "cap" in it's name (i.e. Black-cap, Goblin-cap, Nether-cap, and Tower-cap) will only yield 1 log, and there's no point in a room more than 2 Z-levels high for these trees.

I think other mushrooms might be worth waiting for them to grow taller:
  • Blood thorn (cavern level: 3) - max trunk height: 5 Z levels
  • Spore tree (cavern levels: 2 & 3) - max trunk height: 5 Z levels
  • Fungiwood (cavern levels: 1 & 2) - max trunk height: 8 Z levels
  • Tunnel tube (cavern levels: 2 & 3) - max trunk height: 8 Z levels

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 09:17:34 pm »

I think it is only some of the -caps that only give one log. In 50.04b, wild towercaps that were 4-z tall gave maybe 20 logs.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 01:40:45 am »

Thanks for the input all, much appreciated!
I'll be more patient and see what happens.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 05:28:33 am »

I think it depends on the mushroom. From what I understand, any mushroom with "cap" in it's name (i.e. Black-cap, Goblin-cap, Nether-cap, and Tower-cap) will only yield 1 log, and there's no point in a room more than 2 Z-levels high for these trees.

At present it seems to be the case that "caps" give a log per tile they cover, so a healthy goblin cap can drop about 40 logs or something. It's kind of gone the other way, from caps being kind of useless to caps being really overpowered.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 06:33:28 am »

I think other mushrooms might be worth waiting for them to grow taller:
  • Blood thorn (cavern level: 3) - max trunk height: 5 Z levels
  • Spore tree (cavern levels: 2 & 3) - max trunk height: 5 Z levels
  • Fungiwood (cavern levels: 1 & 2) - max trunk height: 8 Z levels
  • Tunnel tube (cavern levels: 2 & 3) - max trunk height: 8 Z levels

Just want to add that the max height of trees is MAX_TRUNK_HEIGHT + 2.

So, fungiwood can grow up to 10 z levels tall, which is the tallest a tree can get in DF. (Or, at least this used to be the case -- not sure if it's been changed in Premium.)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 09:05:44 pm »

there's a tree cap on the map, there can only be so many trees in existence.

Source?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?