Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread - End  (Read 9233 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread - End
« on: March 11, 2023, 07:56:04 pm »

Years ago, there was a small string of forum games based on Civilization. I want to bring one back.

Players each have one city, with an urban center and surrounding rural hexes to upgrade and assign workers to. They explore the world map, looking for neutral villages, interesting places to exploit by building outposts, and if they're lucky, ancient ruins from before the calamities. Research new technology, both common techs and unique faction techs. Train large armies. Meet other players and have peaceful diplomatic talks.

Our ancestors had a golden age of bronze and magic, shattered by greed, ambition, and magic too great for mortals to handle responsibly. Hundreds of years later, the winds of cataclysm finally abate. The surface still lashes out destructively at times, by wild magical discharges or more natural weather. Still, it is growing less dangerous every year, and the time to reclaim and rebuild draws near.

Quote from: Sign-up sheet
Civilization and city name:
Race and society: Do you have a military order of spartan surface dwarves, let by a trio of generals who share power equally? A group of philosophical party hobbits lead by a philosopher king?
Theme: A brief, abstract description, of up to 5 words, which will be the main feature defining your strengths and weaknesses. Peaceful Farmers, Decentralized Druidic Horsemen, utilitarian military-industrial merchants, etc.
Brief History of the city and its surroundings: Important for creating the city map and start conditions. Did a magical bunker complex run out of power, forcing your people out and into a hilly river valley? Are you leading a group that fled encroaching desert in boats, forced to land on and make due with an archipelago? Especially difficult starts may be balanced by being near valuable resources on the world map, but you'll still need to find them and have the strength to colonize them.
Magic type: One word, such as Elementalism, Hydromancy, Arcane, Divine, Astral, Enchantment, etc. This will be the general magic theme for unique magical researches.
Racial Frequency: Common, uncommon, or exotic.
Spoiler: Racial Frequency (click to show/hide)

Descriptions can be simple or complex.
Spoiler: Example Race (click to show/hide)

To keep players on a relatively even science playing field, each player will have a limited tech tree per era, and only a limited number of slots for researchers. Eras will begin to advance once someone researches all their technology, and those that do will have a golden age for the remainder of the era.

It is expected that players will look at each others' turn and results posts, but try to avoid meta-gaming too much.
To be respectful, please write your turn up before looking at other' posted actions, don't change your orders after seeing where your rival is sending his army, and try not to base your actions off of what others are doing behind spoiler boxes in any case.
Reading the results of their actions in my post before you write yours is allowed (IE, feel free to do "you found a ruby mine, I want to trade my emeralds for them."). Please spoil turn posts. Feel free to redact secret actions and PM them to me if you want to be particularly discreet. You may occasionally redact innocuous actions if you really want to be sneaky, but please don't do this every turn.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 07:30:34 pm by Nirur Torir »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Sign-ups (0/6)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 08:32:54 pm »

Spoiler: City Basics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Building Types (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Leaders (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Military and Units (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Food and Your People (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Money (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Research (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: City Surroundings (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: External Expansion (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Random Events (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Beasts of Burden (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Turn Order (click to show/hide)

Reference:

Spoiler: Buildings (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tech List (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Misc (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 06:48:29 pm by Nirur Torir »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 08:33:55 pm »

Reserved for index

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 05:24:51 pm »

Civilization and city name: Hinterland, Avalon
Race and society: Deep in the mountains far from civilization, there is a civilization of Doppelgangers capable of shifting their form to suit their environment. Most of their organization is based on extended family units, with each family sending a representative to Avalon when major decisions need to be made.
Theme: Shape-changing Mountain Men
Brief History of the city and its surroundings: Before the Calamity, Doppelgangers where persecuted under the assumption that they where capable of killing and replacing high ranking members of other races. This was not helped by several high profile attempts at doing just that. As a result discovered Doppelgangers where forced to flee civilization long before the cataclysm, living deep in the mountains where they hunted, trapped, and fished to survive.
Magic type: Transmutation
Racial Frequency: Exotic.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 07:34:43 pm »

Civilization and city name: Hinterland, Avalon
Race and society: Deep in the mountains far from civilization, there is a civilization of Doppelgangers capable of shifting their form to suit their environment. Most of their organization is based on extended family units, with each family sending a representative to Avalon when major decisions need to be made.
Theme: Shape-changing Mountain Men
Brief History of the city and its surroundings: Before the Calamity, Doppelgangers where persecuted under the assumption that they where capable of killing and replacing high ranking members of other races. This was not helped by several high profile attempts at doing just that. As a result discovered Doppelgangers where forced to flee civilization long before the cataclysm, living deep in the mountains where they hunted, trapped, and fished to survive.
Magic type: Transmutation
Racial Frequency: Exotic.

That doesn't give many hints about what sort of civilization bonuses to give. Do you want to keep this for a civilization bonus?
Quote from: The Dopplegangers of Hinterlands, numbers subject to change and a balancing pass
Infiltrators - 50% chance for commanders with control over (or allied control over) at least one dopplegager unit to know enemy tactics and attempt to counter them.
Stealthy - Light units recieve a free Stealthy trait.
  The Stealthy trait makes it much easier for units in terrain such as forests or mountains to hide from more powerful forces, and often gives a first round surprise bonus. It does not work in open terrain, such as grasslands or deserts.
  Units such as infantry in medium armor and archers count as light units. Mail-armored pikemen or knights count as heavy units, and would not get this trait.

Battles will be simple. Players may optionally choose to give specific tactics before it begins, such as "hide my cavalry in the trees behind the enemy army, then flank once they're committed in battle" or "focus fire on the enemy battleship. Bring it down at all costs." Knowing that the enemy has isolated cavalry hiding near your army is a situationally powerful advantage. Similarly, Stealthy can be used for a tactical advantage, but will also often give a standard mechanical bonus of doing extra morale damage if they can attack from hiding.

It's a much weirder set than someone with something like "units get +40% defense when defending settlements, walls are built at half cost," focused more on changing the military paradigm when fighting against you than on direct mechanical boosts.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Sign-ups (1/6)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 07:43:19 pm »

Sure, looks fine to me.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2023, 08:06:32 pm »

Cool, it's been a long time since age of restoration II, but I have still have some fond memories of that game.

Civilization and city name: The Theocracy of Helianthia, Solaris City
Race and society: The Helians are a plantoid race, their bodies made of a tangle of vines binding together to make their form capped by a flowering head. The type of flower that they have as a head dictates their place in society. Their civilization is focused around the worship of the life giving sun and their society is ruled by the upper caste of sunflower headed high priests that lead said worship.
Theme: Religious Caste based Flowers
Brief History of the city and its surroundings: Solaris city is located at the base of an made of rocks quarried from the Blooming Mountain, a lone mountain that reaches high above a lush jungle lowlands. In times past the Helians spread throughout the jungle and nearby lands, but during the cataclysm the jungle became wild and unlivable, full of deadly beasts, plants, and other phenomenon. The theocracy crumbled to just the capital where they barely held on though the worst of times. Now that the cataclysm has faded the Sun Flowers have declared it time for the second Blooming of the Helian Civilization.
Magic type: Solar
Racial Frequency: Uncommon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2023, 08:31:15 pm »

Civilization and city name: Gruggus Tribeship, Grugunnium
Race and society: The Grug is a big green humanoid who lives in tight family units united by the "Big Man/Lady" who is elected by all Gruggi for the best traits of swoleness and wisdom. They prefer to mainly live off the land, supplementing the diet of a hunter gatherer with the nourishing rays of the sun on their green flesh. Grugunnium itself is fed by surrounding farms, though Gruggi will grumble about the work and less tasty food. Though the Big Man/Lady is the nominal leader of Gruggus, important decisions such as declaring war require a general election of all Gruggi.
Theme: Democratic Green Tribal Confederation
Brief History of the city and its surroundings: Grugunnium is located in a hot jungle valley, where many Gruggi migrated during the Calamity due to the availability of food and sun. According to legend, the Gruggi were created in mass by a pre-Calamity civilization to be used as soldiers. During the Calamity itself most Grug were wild and mad, lashing out at anything in reach and surviving the hazards of the Calamity by sheer tenacity. The end of the Calamity seems to have prompted the Gruggi to band together rather than fight one another, leading to the formation of the Gruggus Tribeship.
Magic type: Muscle
Racial Frequency: Common

Green is best.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 08:34:14 pm by Egan_BW »
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2023, 09:07:47 pm »

Mmmmmm sure.

Civilization and city name:  Stonulus  --  Granite
Race and society: The Stonulus people are a race of contemplative stone trolls.  Unlike many of the other trolls, the Stonulus people are slow and thoughtful, like the stone that they almost appear to be made of.  Stonulus people move slowly and act slowly, but are equally unyielding when outsiders get in their way.  They are a bit distrustful, given that people unfamiliar with them associate them with their more violent cousins, but accept others that prove their tolerance.  They tend toward a philosophical bent when left alone.  They are led by a Rockelder, who is elected from a council of prominent family heads, who then serves until death or infirmity.  They wield some power, but still must listen to the council.
Theme: Stony Thinkers
Brief History of the city and its surroundings: Granite is the Stonulus capital.  Located in a high mountain range, the city proper is carved into the living rock.  While much of it is above ground, there are extensive tunnels below which are used for mushroom farming and preservation and storage.  The original capital was destroyed in the Calamity when the mountain it was made from suddenly became volcanic.  The city was slow to regrow, and is finally reaching prominence, though little growth is beyond the city proper.
Magic type: Enchantment
Racial Frequency: Uncommon
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2023, 09:18:31 pm »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2023, 09:39:12 pm »

Civilization and city name: The Reclaimers, of the Rusted Caravan
Race and society: The Bronzemade are mechanical beings, leftovers of the golden age awoken by chance. With shattered memories of the Calamity, they struggle with the simultaneous desire to reclaim the lost knowledge of that age and the fear of repeating its mistakes. To that end, they have collectively sworn themselves to pacifism as they travel the world in search of the ruins of the past. In terms of governance, hypothetically, each Bronzemade has a vote in their council; in practice, most will give their vote to one of the Caravan's philosophers and debaters who seems to most closely align with their opinions.
Theme: Wandering Pacifist Scholar-Merchant Archeologists
Brief History of the city and its surroundings: The Rusted Caravan is barely a city. For one, it moves. But it roughly fulfills some of the functions that a city would need in the slow-moving vehicles and heavy sleds carried along it, with resting quarters, repair workshops, and meeting chambers carried along in the procession, though the rough status of these vehicles render the Caravan unable to move into difficult or crowded terrains, and the lack of walls renders it difficult to defend the way a static fortification could be. The Caravan started in what could only be called a graveyard - the site of an ancient battle at the tail end of the golden age, where many of the Bronzemade fought and were killed or otherwise broken; indeed, many of the Reclaimers bear these ancient wounds.
Magic type: Artifice
Racial Frequency: Exotic
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 09:52:59 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2023, 09:57:44 pm »

Hey look someone else did precursor brobots. I was gonna do a rogue servitor thing but figured the game needed more common races. And green, of course.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2023, 10:00:33 pm »

I will note that the only other race I looked at before deciding on the direction I was going to take was Stirk's.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2023, 10:26:00 pm »

Civilization and city name: The Chain of Petals, Ashcrown
Race and society: Ashcrown elves are ruled by a High Patriarch, who is also kin to most of the city's population. Several lesser Patriarchs and Matriarchs serve on a council, having risen to prominence and thus made their own lineages important. Ashcrown society is decadent and ambitious, seeking to dominate and nurture life to create luxurious gardens befitting the status of those tending them. This applies as much to the elves themselves as to the pets, crops, and slaves, and so individual elves are constantly striving to better themselves and rise above their station.
Theme: Decadent Gardener Elves
Brief History of the city and its surroundings: The Calamity taught many lessons, most of which were ignored by the Ashcrown Elves. Instead the survivors colonized a shattered river delta and carried on as though nothing were amiss, weathering brutal storms and waves of mutant horror through ambition, grace, and an uncanny ability to mend and mutate living tissue. The river delta is now thickly forested with vibrant bioengineered life, pleasing to elven aesthetics and goals. The city itself is much the same, largely alive and teeming with haughty elves and their pets.
Magic type: Biomancy
Racial Frequency: Common
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2023, 10:28:26 pm »

Spoiler: Magic Desert Vikings (click to show/hide)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19