Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread - End  (Read 9314 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Sign-ups (1/6)
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2023, 10:33:33 pm »

I will note that the only other race I looked at before deciding on the direction I was going to take was Stirk's.

That is the only one you really need to look at anyway.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Sign-ups (1/6)
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2023, 09:07:03 am »

In as replacement, I guess.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Initializing
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2023, 01:28:43 pm »

It's good to see all these old players coming back.

In as replacement, I guess.
You - and others who want in the waitlist before I make the world - may PM me a civ sheet. I'll base an NPC settlement off it, and possibly give choices for how they develop between eras. If we later need a replacement, you'll have your choice of replacing in over the old player or taking direct player control over your NPCs.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2023, 06:11:58 pm »

I copied and edited the rules from my old old Age of Restoration II game. I'll mostly re-use them. The most notable change is that the early Trade research will give a slow income of Trade Goods, which you can't use yourself, but others can use as luxury goods. Trade should be more fun if it's not always zero-sum.

Rules Post

Civilization and city name: The Reclaimers, of the Rusted Caravan
Race and society: The Bronzemade are mechanical beings, leftovers of the golden age awoken by chance. With shattered memories of the Calamity, they struggle with the simultaneous desire to reclaim the lost knowledge of that age and the fear of repeating its mistakes. To that end, they have collectively sworn themselves to pacifism as they travel the world in search of the ruins of the past. In terms of governance, hypothetically, each Bronzemade has a vote in their council; in practice, most will give their vote to one of the Caravan's philosophers and debaters who seems to most closely align with their opinions.
Theme: Wandering Pacifist Scholar-Merchant Archeologists
Brief History of the city and its surroundings: The Rusted Caravan is barely a city. For one, it moves. But it roughly fulfills some of the functions that a city would need in the slow-moving vehicles and heavy sleds carried along it, with resting quarters, repair workshops, and meeting chambers carried along in the procession, though the rough status of these vehicles render the Caravan unable to move into difficult or crowded terrains, and the lack of walls renders it difficult to defend the way a static fortification could be. The Caravan started in what could only be called a graveyard - the site of an ancient battle at the tail end of the golden age, where many of the Bronzemade fought and were killed or otherwise broken; indeed, many of the Reclaimers bear these ancient wounds.
Magic type: Artifice
Racial Frequency: Exotic
I can't balance rules enough to make special nomad rules, but I can make your big civilization bonus be a mobile colony. You'll still have a regular city, so please describe the terrain around it.
There will be bandits. Please be more specific with how pacifistic you'll be.

I think it would start needing repairs, costing about 2 buildings worth (Around 6 labor and 3 wood/stone), and a unit of spears so I have an excuse for it to "suffer damage and chase off bandits" instead of destroying it the first time it gets attacked.
Players start with 10,000 people. A normal colony costs 5000 population, some materials, and research.
Starting with half population would be crippling. I think it might be balanced if it costs 2000 population, though that still is a hit to growth. It would be able to gather 2 resources from a square if it moves 0-1 spaces that turn, plus feed itself. It would serve to extend supply ranges. It would slowly explore adjacent squares for free. While it can be used to gather rare resources instead of an expensive colony, it would only be able to stay stationary for a few turns before being forced or strongly encouraged to move on.

Will that work for you? Are there any complaints about the balance for it?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2023, 10:13:21 pm »

Hmn.

Eh. I don't think my idea is really set to work out with this. You listed 6 players wanted, and there were 7 of us who posted sheets; I'd be fine being the one cut.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2023, 02:37:05 am »

Poke?
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2023, 05:50:42 pm »

Tech and city layouts are still in the planning phase. For now, check your civilization bonuses, they can be changed if you don't like them or if they need a balancing pass.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2023, 08:51:00 pm »

Seems good, simple but strong. Having two widely applicable traits and no downsides makes me wonder if I got the best deal.

Also looking forwards to seeing techs and city buildings.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2023, 08:58:23 pm »

Nice. Only the fanciest elves for me!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2023, 09:32:17 pm »

My bonuses are for sure somewhat difficult to tell how good they are, (other traits seem like a net negative but flower castes seems like it could be very strong if mid game allows more of a urban focus?) but I find them copacetic either way. I do have a few questions about the specifics of how they work.

Does constructing Urban buildings count as labor spent in the city center for the purposes of Flower Castes? Same question for for tile improvements placed on the city tile (walls and such?).

And for Praise the Sun, just to make sure, does it also allow me access to the tombs (tombs AND shrine upgrade) or does it lock me out of them for a more shrine focused path? I assume the second but I figured I'd ask to make sure. And if I recall both tombs and shrines gave the same luxury (assuming they work the same as in age of restoration) so a shrine that's twice as good is just as good as a shrine and tomb?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 09:36:33 pm by Criptfeind »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2023, 10:05:32 pm »

My bonuses are for sure somewhat difficult to tell how good they are, (other traits seem like a net negative
I made the fire and ice hit harder because I don't expect fire and ice mages before era 3-4 at the earliest, unless someone gets lucky with magic swords, and a that point you'd have had the opportunity to try to research a counter anyway.

Does constructing Urban buildings count as labor spent in the city center for the purposes of Flower Castes? Same question for for tile improvements placed on the city tile (walls and such?).
Yes and yes, as should most crafting tasks.

And for Praise the Sun, just to make sure, does it also allow me access to the tombs (tombs AND shrine upgrade) or does it lock me out of them for a more shrine focused path? I assume the second but I figured I'd ask to make sure. And if I recall both tombs and shrines gave the same luxury (assuming they work the same as in age of restoration) so a shrine that's twice as good is just as good as a shrine and tomb?
It replaces ceremonial burial as a cosmetic side-grade, and the shrine upgrade replaces tombs as a cosmetic side-grade. Memes aside, it's the exactly same, except as a hook: You writing religious flavor text between eras might give actually unique religious techs.
I started writing starting structures and had you with a shrine, which makes it make more sense as a starting tech, but deleted those until I make terrain.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2023, 10:07:04 pm »

I'm good!  Slow units make me a bit sad, but it's thematic and the good bonuses look really nice.  I'll just have to be more tall than wide- which it looks like this game is themed more in that direction anyway.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2023, 10:28:04 pm »

seems reasonable enough
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2023, 11:03:20 pm »

Wouldn't it be fairly reasonable to make infantry armed with torches for low tech fire damage? Probably less effective overall than physical weapons.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2023, 11:09:47 pm »

I’m preappeoved, so no problems there.

We’re going to have to take out Toaster fast before that research bump offs us :V

Wouldn't it be fairly reasonable to make infantry armed with torches for low tech fire damage? Probably less effective overall than physical weapons.

Falarica where BC era
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19