Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19

Author Topic: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread - End  (Read 8774 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Initializing
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2023, 11:15:25 pm »

Psh, they're no threat; there's plenty of REAL threats out there.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2023, 07:38:44 pm »

Techs are here. Generic techs are described in the rules post.
I don't think that anyone who's dumber than a troll will be able to research their entire era 1 tech tree in 8 turns.
Currently unavailable techs may be available in era 2. There's some fuzziness, but you're mostly split into groups that ran into the wilds and have Exploration and easier pottery to survive famines, and groups that hid in place and have Town Planning for a higher soft population cap and Construction+granary to survive famines. Granaries are more efficient in the long run, but it may be difficult to research Construction and build one before turn 3. As such, nobody starts with Construction researched. Instead, the green people get farming, and the trolls get mushroom farming.

I might get the city maps out tonight so we can get started, but the goal is tomorrow night.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2023, 07:56:32 pm »

Restricted tech access is always an interesting thing to me in games that have it, even if it makes balancing even harder to do it's just sorta cool imo. So I'm interested to see how it goes in this game.

I have a question about the "mitigate famine" portion of the solar focuser... As in, how does that actually work? Is it basically 1 food that I can't use as luxury goods or store for the future? Or does it only appear if necessary to prevent a famine that turn (IE making exactly the amount of food the city consumes)? Or do I already need to be in a famine for that food to appear? Or in some other way? Is there some negative to it?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2023, 08:01:57 pm »

Restricted tech access is always an interesting thing to me in games that have it, even if it makes balancing even harder to do it's just sorta cool imo. So I'm interested to see how it goes in this game.

I have a question about the "mitigate famine" portion of the solar focuser... As in, how does that actually work? Is it basically 1 food that I can't use as luxury goods or store for the future? Or does it only appear if necessary to prevent a famine that turn (IE making exactly the amount of food the city consumes)? Or do I already need to be in a famine for that food to appear? Or in some other way? Is there some negative to it?
A famine is a special event I'll declare, which reduces food output, something like either "-4 total food produced this turn" or "all tiles produce -1 food this turn." Famine mitigation reduces the severity of one by producing bonus food, but only during a famine.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2023, 08:05:50 pm »

Ah, right, okay, that makes perfect sense like that! I just assumed "famine" meant the negative consequences of having not enough food for your pops.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2023, 08:48:55 pm »

Darn, went from free construction to no construction at all. Guess no fancy walled city for me.

Farming tech is 2 labor for +1 food per labor forevermore. Takes a few turns to break even, but more food is appreciated. Does tie up some labor in starting turns on stuff which isn't glorious science and/or exploration though.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2023, 09:05:44 pm »

For a moment I was concerned that you need 1 labor just to make 1 clothing, but then I remembered that 1 unit of luxury good is actually enough for 10 pops. So 1 labor working hills and 1 labor making clothes is a +1 morale for a whole starting population. Add in 150% food production and morale will be looking good.

That's 5 labor working river plains, or irrigated plains, or irrigated river hills. Won't start with much irrigation, but at least most tiles give 1 food.

Again, thinking in these terms doesn't seem like the best way to run through tech quickly. I at least have an explorer leader, which will require training a unit. Which consumes an extra 0.1 food, and loss of 0.1 labor, negligible. But then there's weapons or having an extra one or two units for defense. Hmm. As far as I can tell, raising a unit itself doesn't cost labor. But it might be a bad idea to send them to do anything without paying the 2 labor for spears.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2023, 09:16:14 pm »

Hard to plan too much ahead without seeing full starting conditions.  Do you start with any buildings?

Also, for mushroom farming, how exactly does that work?  Is that "you can spend three labor on any hill/mountain tile to get two food, but that's all you can do on that tile" or can you also work it normally?  I assume that's repeatable, so you can mushroom farm multiple tiles?  It does seem to be a bit of a "for emergencies only" tech since you're producing less food with it than you're eating with that same labor, but if there's no other way to get that last two food it beat starving.  I'm going to secretly assume there's a way to buff it later.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2023, 09:19:51 pm »

Darn, went from free construction to no construction at all. Guess no fancy walled city for me.

Farming tech is 2 labor for +1 food per labor forevermore. Takes a few turns to break even, but more food is appreciated. Does tie up some labor in starting turns on stuff which isn't glorious science and/or exploration though.

Farming plains is 4 Food/Labor with no resource setup, Fishing is 3 Food/Labor with wood required. You're getting the better deal unless Fishing gets some cool stuff down the line or River tiles are really rare :V

Hills (Brown)
1 food, 1 wool

Wood right?

Hard to plan too much ahead without seeing full starting conditions.  Do you start with any buildings?

Also, for mushroom farming, how exactly does that work?  Is that "you can spend three labor on any hill/mountain tile to get two food, but that's all you can do on that tile" or can you also work it normally?  I assume that's repeatable, so you can mushroom farm multiple tiles?  It does seem to be a bit of a "for emergencies only" tech since you're producing less food with it than you're eating with that same labor, but if there's no other way to get that last two food it beat starving.  I'm going to secretly assume there's a way to buff it later.

1000 dudes = 1 labor = 1 food so you should have a surplus unless I missed something.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2023, 09:23:15 pm »

I believe it's a tile improvement. So the 3 labor is only spent once, and from then on that tile produces 2 food in addition to whatever else it produces when worked with 1 labor. So it's +1 food on hills tiles (which aren't on rivers) or +2 food for mountain tiles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2023, 09:23:57 pm »

Oh, yeah, that makes way more sense as a tile improvement than as a special labor.  Derp.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2023, 09:30:15 pm »

Farming plains is 4 Food/Labor with no resource setup, Fishing is 3 Food/Labor with wood required. You're getting the better deal unless Fishing gets some cool stuff down the line or River tiles are really rare :V

I'm going to covet labor a bit more than resources for now. No idea how many plains rivers I'll get. My application says a jungle valley which isn't very compatible with a tech made for plains and hills. :v

Hills (Brown)
1 food, 1 wool

Wood right?

Wool, like from sheep. It's used to make clothing so that your people aren't sad and naked.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2023, 09:31:07 pm »

Which consumes an extra 0.1 food, and loss of 0.1 labor, negligible. But then there's weapons or having an extra one or two units for defense. Hmm. As far as I can tell, raising a unit itself doesn't cost labor.
Units have no food upkeep. Only luxuries are tracked to 0.1 instead of 1, so that would be annoying.
Correct, raising a unit with no equipment is free. You're limited to one unit raised per turn, and civilians will be unhappy if unarmed "military" units suffer casualties.

Yes. To be determined after I make terrain to look at.

I believe it's a tile improvement. So the 3 labor is only spent once, and from then on that tile produces 2 food in addition to whatever else it produces when worked with 1 labor. So it's +1 food on hills tiles (which aren't on rivers) or +2 food for mountain tiles.
Yes.
I'm interested in seeing how it plays out, I don't remember anything like that being in the games this is based off of.

Wood right?
No, wool is correct. Wool + 1 labor produces clothes, which gives 10,000 people +1 morale.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2023, 09:34:29 pm »

Units have no food upkeep. Only luxuries are tracked to 0.1 instead of 1, so that would be annoying.

Military units consume double food. That is, a standard unit of archers with 100 population will consume 0.2 food per turn. If forced to forage in the wilderness (Extended global travels without supplies or a lack of food), they'll lose morale and health, based on how hospitable the terrain is.

No, wool is correct. Wool + 1 labor produces clothes, which gives 10,000 people +1 morale.

Oh neat.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2023, 09:36:03 pm »

Which consumes an extra 0.1 food, and loss of 0.1 labor, negligible. But then there's weapons or having an extra one or two units for defense. Hmm. As far as I can tell, raising a unit itself doesn't cost labor.
Correct, raising a unit with no equipment is free. You're limited to one unit raised per turn, and civilians will be unhappy if unarmed "military" units suffer casualties.

Rules seem to state standard units consume 0.2 food:
Military units consume double food. That is, a standard unit of archers with 100 population will consume 0.2 food per turn. If forced to forage in the wilderness (Extended global travels without supplies or a lack of food), they'll lose morale and health, based on how hospitable the terrain is.

Happy to not worry about it if you think it's not worth tracking, though. :p
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19