Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19

Author Topic: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread - End  (Read 8772 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Initializing
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2023, 09:38:29 pm »

Hard to plan too much ahead without seeing full starting conditions.  Do you start with any buildings?
Yes. To be determined after I make terrain to look at.

I believe it's a tile improvement. So the 3 labor is only spent once, and from then on that tile produces 2 food in addition to whatever else it produces when worked with 1 labor. So it's +1 food on hills tiles (which aren't on rivers) or +2 food for mountain tiles.
Yes.
I'm interested in seeing how it plays out, I don't remember anything like that being in the games this is based off of.

This'll mean I can settle and prosper in areas other races might consider too rocky to live in without food imports.  It'll certainly affect the relative value of terrains.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2023, 09:40:19 pm »

Units have no food upkeep. Only luxuries are tracked to 0.1 instead of 1, so that would be annoying.

Military units consume double food. That is, a standard unit of archers with 100 population will consume 0.2 food per turn. If forced to forage in the wilderness (Extended global travels without supplies or a lack of food), they'll lose morale and health, based on how hospitable the terrain is.
I copy-paste-edited most of the rules, thank you for catching that.
Because I'm lazy, military units now officially eat for free. They'll have gold by the time you can recruit enough of them to matter anyway. They still need a supply line to get their free food, which will be within about 4-5 tiles of your city at first.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2023, 06:40:06 am »

Bit of a silly question, but since Gruggi are photosynthetic too, is there any chance I could ever acquire a Solar Condenser or similar?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2023, 08:56:24 pm »

I might get the city maps out tonight so we can get started, but the goal is tomorrow night.
I'll need another day to figure out what to do about balancing people who decided a desert was a nice place to live. Unless a better idea comes up, I might do hills and a big oasis, or I might make a special desert animal to build pastures of.

Bit of a silly question, but since Gruggi are photosynthetic too, is there any chance I could ever acquire a Solar Condenser or similar?
I consider it a fairly poor tech, since it gives at best 1.65 food/labor, while an improved non-river tile generally makes 3 resources, and famines will be more common in era 1, but yes.

At the end of each era, you'll get the chance to do an RP write-up about how your civilization is changing, and where they're heading. I'll base the new techs and leader partially on what you've done in the era, partially on that write-up, and partially on ??.
You can also use this to branch into entirely new magical areas if wanted, which might surpass or overwrite the magical field decided on at the start.
So if you spend an era building a lot of walls, and then have flavor text about the walls creating a cultural obsession with building boats, I'd probably give you an engineer or admiral leader, a new Advanced Fortification tech, and both tier I and tier II naval tech.

I'll generally be wary of letting people crib unique techs outright, and might want to wait two eras and/or have an clear tech path towards it. Since you're already photosynthetic and it's a basic tech with no pre-reqs other than photosynthesis and Solar Magic, I think I'll allow it next era if you can come up with a good explanation for why it fits Muscle Magic or a field of magic you're branching into.
I will also generally have a limited spread of what a player can declare into their tech tree like this. Things you can already reach will be easy, like going from Canoe Making to Sailing, or giving a few ideas on what sorts of magic your magic people are working on for me to pick from. Suddenly changing focus and getting both Canoe Making AND Sailing will be harder, as will trying to learn Toaster's Mushroom Farming or re-inventing Enchantment. It's not an exact system, so feel free to ask "will this work?" when it's time for the era to change.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2023, 10:12:56 pm »

How does a photosynthetic race even get famines? The sun goes out?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2023, 10:16:33 pm »

If we meet each other and become friends would it be easier for them to get it? After all, green is friend, and I'm sure the flowers wouldn't mind showing off their wonderful solar tech to their new strangely unbloomed friends. Might even happen, dunno how you're making the map but we both said we live in a jungle so maybe we're close?

How does a photosynthetic race even get famines? The sun goes out?

Photosythesis not enough to support the sick gains of the average Grug. In times of hardship they must choose between starvation and skipping leg day. Naturally this leads to many corpses with beautifully toned thighs.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2023, 10:23:04 pm »

I might get the city maps out tonight so we can get started, but the goal is tomorrow night.
I'll need another day to figure out what to do about balancing people who decided a desert was a nice place to live. Unless a better idea comes up, I might do hills and a big oasis, or I might make a special desert animal to build pastures of.
don't blame me for choosing to start in a desert. . .
Quote from: Signup sheet
Especially difficult starts may be balanced by being near valuable resources on the world map, but you'll still need to find them and have the strength to colonize them.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2023, 06:44:37 am »

I'd consider lower resources (with a core oasis of better tiles, which matter more at the start with lower labor available) in exchange for natural defenses. As raiders, they're likely to make enemies who want to retaliate, and the desert can mess with bigger armies (as opposed to smaller raiding parties). Or cliffs and mesas can act as natural walls.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2023, 07:45:58 pm »

Your flags are boring. Give me colors to fill them with, or give me a more personalized flag.

If this looks balanced, the game can start. I think I'll start you with resources instead of buildings, aside from Toaster, who would have a uniquely unpleasant time without them.

Spoiler: Tile number reference (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Crazyabe (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Criptfeind (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Egan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: IronyOwl (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stirk (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2023, 08:09:10 pm »

Spoiler: Flag? (click to show/hide)
Image provided by AI.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2023, 11:07:12 pm »

If this looks balanced, the game can start. I think I'll start you with resources instead of buildings, aside from Toaster, who would have a uniquely unpleasant time without them.

Not sure about balance but I'd say what I notice is that I have access to the fishing tech but no water tiles, and mostly forest tiles but no access to the archery tech. It might make sense to swap them in my tech access list (and it'd make my start a lot better since it'd let me have at least somewhat efficient food harvesting from the forest.)

Spoiler: flag I threw together (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 11:33:52 pm by Criptfeind »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2023, 08:12:59 am »

Seems good. For my flag I think a pure green forked banner.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2023, 08:31:14 am »

Spoiler: Flag (click to show/hide)

Let me know if that needs to resize.

Otherwise it looks good.  The starting building is thematic to the lore (and something something tons of mountains).

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2023, 10:58:15 am »

Not sure about balance but I'd say what I notice is that I have access to the fishing tech but no water tiles, and mostly forest tiles but no access to the archery tech. It might make sense to swap them in my tech access list (and it'd make my start a lot better since it'd let me have at least somewhat efficient food harvesting from the forest.)
Okay, done. You now have archery instead of fishing.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2023, 11:14:57 am »

Sweet. That should certainly help.

Also I got around to looking at the others starting maps and noticed this, I think that IronyOwl should have a Shimmersilk Spider ranch placed somewhere? As part of his starting bonus with them?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19