Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19

Author Topic: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread - End  (Read 9445 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread
« Reply #255 on: May 12, 2023, 07:45:55 pm »

I've not been calculating population left overs to bonus labor at the end of my turn in case there's a situation where it changes during the turn resolution itself. But perhaps that a bad way to record it? Especially since if I understand this correctly, the population spent on military still gives it's fraction toward labor on the turn after you recruited it?

If there was an event that changed population, or population was lost too an attack or something, would that effect the bonus labor from the population that you acquire for that turn?

Also I think I should have 14 labor, 12 from pop, 1 from bonus labor, and 1 from moral?
Since recruits still provide a civil labor bonus during training, I think most disasters should also give their bonus labor before people die.
14 is correct, I'll change it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 13, 2023, 12:32:56 am »

How cute, there's a little spider in my pen!

Speaking of which, aaaaaaaany turn now I'll have a military. Sure hope my negative event isn't next and it's raiders.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 14, 2023, 12:08:11 pm »

Ah, I just realized a mistake in my last turn/the last turns resolution. Weapons only cost 1 wood each, for some reason I thought they cost 2... Presumably because most things are resources=labor and because I'm an idiot. I guess I should be at 7 wood now, not 6.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 14, 2023, 02:47:33 pm »

I made a similar assumption with Animal Pens. Turns out 3 Labor + 1 Wood is considerably more expensive than 2 Labor + 2 Wood!

Still. One hefty investment is well worth it for as much silk as I'll need for the foreseeable future. Cue trading partners being absolutely rabid for the stuff
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 14, 2023, 03:45:27 pm »

I made a similar assumption with Animal Pens. Turns out 3 Labor + 1 Wood is considerably more expensive than 2 Labor + 2 Wood!

Still. One hefty investment is well worth it for as much silk as I'll need for the foreseeable future. Cue trading partners being absolutely rabid for the stuff

Did someone say raiding partners?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 20, 2023, 09:56:03 am »

Sorry I've been slack, folks.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 20, 2023, 10:10:02 am »

No problem I'm sure, although this turn you only need 1.1 luxuries per pop (you needed 1.2 last turn because of the bonus labor thing, but that's not relevant this turn) so you can get away with 1 clothing and 1 food instead of 1.2 clothing and 1 food.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 20, 2023, 07:27:06 pm »

why are these living rocks always so slow to do anything

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 21, 2023, 02:15:59 pm »

why are these living rocks always so slow to do anything

Are we sure they're living and not just normal rocks?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 03, 2023, 07:30:16 pm »

I'm officially abandoning this. I'm sorry.

The Living Wood would have been a fun resource. Initially, it would have been as strong as copper weapons. It could have been taught to take a second form by spending the labor cost of the second weapon, but no further material costs. Two obvious uses would have been archers that can fight like swordsmen, without whatever downsides come from having too many weapons, or having swordsmen with a pikeman anti-cavalry skill. Future research possibilities could have made it stronger, to keep up with higher tier materials, or let it take a third form, both probably at fairly high costs.

I played silly games with your maps. Everyone had a different 90 degree rotations from their neighbors, so you wouldn't have noticed you were near someone just by exploring their lands. I would have found it endlessly entertaining if you had managed to not find your neighbors until you tripped on their capital.
Only the backwards, four-armed barbarians had the True map rotation.

I liked the map at first. It was a Mediterranean style map, with a big sea surrounded by land. The trader elf GMPCs would have made contact with villages along the inner coast by era 2-3. That would have been made awkward by nobody having a good backstory for a naval tradition, meaning that GMPCs would have been at least an era ahead in navy over the players, and had strong reasons to invest heavily in it. That's too overbearing for GMPCs.
The full map also has lots of forests, and is generally very green and pleasant looking. It's strategically interesting, but it doesn't look like an apocalypse happened.

Might I suggest sending them a fruit basket?
This post made me laugh: The aggressive raider player suggested the best path for diplomacy, and the only one I had planned out. The NPC group was small, so 1 food during each famine during era 1 would have been enough to make them friendly with you. You could have probably come up with other ways, but that was the easiest.

This was my first game I made with a complicated battle system that I actually liked. With a spreadsheet, it was easy to run.
Spoiler: Combat Details (click to show/hide)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 03, 2023, 08:33:05 pm »

I'm officially abandoning this. I'm sorry.
Don't be sorry! it was a great game while it lasted, and given you chose one of the most difficult genres of forum games to run (in general) I don't think any of us were actually expecting things to reach a 'good' end point.

On another note- could we get the 'full' map?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 08:35:03 pm by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread - End
« Reply #266 on: June 03, 2023, 08:46:29 pm »

A pity, but such is the way of things. Thanks for running it this far.

I am pleased to have outwitted your map shenanigans by virtue of never producing a single military unit. I was getting there, though.

A Mediterranean map when no player is a sea power but the NPCs are sounds pretty cool, actually. They could have developed into a loose coalition of city states or sprawling but corrupt empire to contrast with the players' more centralized holdings. Or just been a mega-port too concerned with commerce to have any real will to expand or deal with outside issues beyond protecting trade routes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 03, 2023, 08:51:21 pm »

Better luck next time.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 03, 2023, 08:51:53 pm »

On another note- could we get the 'full' map?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 03, 2023, 10:11:44 pm »

Oh my. That would have taken quite a bit of exploration to find each other.

Also very boat-friendly, which makes it all the more tragic that none of us were very interested in water.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19