Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cloth producing and ownership problems  (Read 637 times)

DefaultUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cloth producing and ownership problems
« on: March 13, 2023, 12:54:06 am »

Hello. I want to make all dwarves super happy and decided to produce all type of clothes (from plant cloth, hemp) that I can.
Manager hepled me to create orders - produce all clothes up to 100 (tunic, shirt, cap, hood etc).
Problem:
Dwarves all the time take new clothes and throw their old clothes (previously worn, without 'x' or 'X' in names) in rooms. So my clothiers can hardly achieve 100 items.

For me it looks like dwarves take more valuable cloth than they have, but previous item keeps ownership, so other dwarf can use it and orders don't count it. Is it true? Or may be there are conflicts between items for the same slot like hood<->cap, sock<->shoe, shirt<->tunic, gloves<->mittens and etc

How do you manage clothes? In this situation I used DFhack commanc clearowned scattered, it end with tons of and 'x' items that now are counted toward orders, and I don't have 100 of new clothes.
Can I sort somehow easily all 'x' items from a new one? So I can dump/sell all these 'x'? I don't want to destroy/sell good items. May be it's possible to sort it from stocks menu using some kind of filter?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 12:57:33 am by DefaultUrist »

Rubinstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cloth producing and ownership problems
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 03:55:10 pm »

Only if quality correspondences to wear level, in which case you simply could use the quality filters?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 04:16:53 pm »

I've been wondering about this too so I hope someone has a good solution.  I wasn't able to find any way to automate the clothing industry, because it doesn't look like there's any way to filter by wear level.

How long have you been trying to generate new items?  I ask because I believe dwarves will pick up new items if they're more valuable, whether they're wearing something worn or not, so if you have clothiers who are constantly improving in skill and not everyone is wearing masterpiece clothing, they may just be grabbing new stuff because it's better.  If you get to the point that your clothiers are consistently producing masterwork clothing, it may eventually settle down.

Not exactly ideal, but I'm curious if that would work in practice.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 05:27:27 am »

Clothing industry is annoying and fiddly.

What I do, and I don't claim it's a perfect solution, is set up work orders like:

> Make 3 leather cloaks. If number of cloaks is less than 5.

So that means if all the cloaks have been claimed - and thus invisible to the work order conditions - a few more cloaks will be made. This ensures that everyone who wants a cloak, can have one. Doesn't do much about the discarded cloak spam, but I usually end up claiming and selling it, can always buy tons of leather from the caravans and make more cloaks, I try not to worry too much about accidentally selling some new cloaks, there will only be a few new cloaks in stock due to how to the work order is constructed.

I keep outfits pretty simple with no choice about what is worn in each slot, typically something like shoes, trousers, cloak, maybe gloves, maybe something for the head. If the clothing pieces are sized for "cougar men" then both dwarves and humans can wear them, which is important if the fort is mixed-species, greatly simplifies the logistics. I think this scheme does work fine with choice though, because it follows the principle that "if anyone wants one, they can have one", if a dwarf is happy with their tunic, they shouldn't want a shirt, or if they do want both, more will be made. It should be fine except for indulging the greed of dwarves to have the best.

I think you could avoid selling brand new clothing by setting up stockpiles like this:

Have a stockpile for newly produced clothing, it has links set up to receive from the clothier's and leatherworker's workshops only. So this stockpile only ever contains newly made clothes.

Have another stockpile near the trade depot, which accepts all clothing, it should thus only contain clothing that has entered or reentered circulation from a route other than being freshly produced (e.g. claimed by dfhack, or dropped by invaders). Use distance when choosing which bins to send to the trade depot for the trash men to take away. You could use this setup to rot (using a stockpile including refuse) or burn (magma chute) non-new clothes.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 05:38:03 am by Panando »
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

DefaultUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 01:49:18 am »

I've been wondering about this too so I hope someone has a good solution.  I wasn't able to find any way to automate the clothing industry, because it doesn't look like there's any way to filter by wear level.

How long have you been trying to generate new items?  I ask because I believe dwarves will pick up new items if they're more valuable, whether they're wearing something worn or not, so if you have clothiers who are constantly improving in skill and not everyone is wearing masterpiece clothing, they may just be grabbing new stuff because it's better.  If you get to the point that your clothiers are consistently producing masterwork clothing, it may eventually settle down.

Not exactly ideal, but I'm curious if that would work in practice.

Indeed they get experience dabbling cloither -> legendary

Also I noticed that DFhack clear ownership also discard ownership of equipped items.
My final algorithm for cloth management:
1. Create cloth stockpile to accept only from cloth workshop (for new clothes)
2. Create cloth stockpile near trade depo to accept from everywhere (for old clothes, some new will also get here, but it will be small amount)
3. Periodically run DFhack clear ownership
4. Sell all old clothes (you can sell with good ones or don't check them while selling), for my fort of 100 dwarves it's usually few new clothes that get here, 95% are with x<item>x
5. Produce cloth like dwarf amount * (1,5 or 2) using work orders. Excess amount to count unowned items on dwarves, worn items and new cloth, so dwarves will always have access to new cloth.

I checked DFhack cloth management and it said that my 70 dwarves don't have eough cloth, looks it was because i've run DFhack clearownership before, and dwarves wear unowned cloth. => I have no trust for auto cloth.

P.S. as mentioned above:
> Make 3 leather cloaks. If number of cloaks is less than 5. - won't work. Because you can end with 5 unowned x<leather cloack>x, which will be counted towards work orders.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 01:50:49 am by DefaultUrist »

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 11:59:44 am »

P.S. as mentioned above:
> Make 3 leather cloaks. If number of cloaks is less than 5. - won't work. Because you can end with 5 unowned x<leather cloack>x, which will be counted towards work orders.

It should work if you are indiscriminately selling or destroying anything that isn't new, and is unclaimed, that's what I'm doing in my current game, every time the traders come I just sell all my non-metal clothing except the stuff in the "new" stockpile which is further away, I mean it won't work 100% of the time if you are relying on the trash men, but unclaimed, unwanted stuff would periodically be cleared allowing new production, you could increase the # from 5 to something higher if a larger buffer is desired. I think if you rot non-new clothing (using a refuse pile) it should work too, you'd just have to tune the buffer size.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 12:02:26 pm by Panando »
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.