Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: This! Is! Spartaaaaaaa! (50.x, Seeking Overseers)  (Read 2117 times)

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This! Is! Spartaaaaaaa! (50.x, Seeking Overseers)
« on: March 13, 2023, 04:38:59 am »

Welcome! This is going to be a militaristic game, full of training, fighting, raiding, and conquering. Expect to need a lot of weapons and armor, and only a little farming and other boring stuff. The end goal is to conquer every civilization we can reach and eventually Hell itself.

The rules:
The Dwarves Are Our Swords. Have everyone join the military and outfit them to the best of your ability.
The Dwarves Are Our Shields. Traps are permitted in moderation, but you shouldn't rely on them.
The Dwarves Are Our Walls. At least one entrance to the fortress must be open at all times.
Always Ready. The majority of the fort at any given moment should be training, in a fight, or on a mission, and every citizen should spend at least one season out of a year training.
Conquer Adversity. Raid, demand tributes, raze enemy settlements to the ground. Obsidian prisons are treasure chests and forgotten beasts are welcome guests.
Austerity In Life. Avoid giving individuals unnecessary luxury.

Of course you can interpret these as you wish or even ignore some of them. Post any suggestions or add your own.

You have a week to finish your turn, don't forget to communicate if you can't take the turn or need more time.

Let's see how far we can get.

Queue:
1 year - Baprr
2 year - AvolitionBrit
3 year - Salmeuk
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 05:04:44 pm by Baprr »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This! Is! Spartaaaaaaa! (50.x, Seeking Overseers)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 08:57:48 am »

Just a suggestion.   Maybe each soldier should be armed with a spear, shield, and short sword.   Ranged weapons would not have been common in Sparta.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 10:47:34 am »

I will add some spear- and sworddwarves to the team, but we can't fully mimic spartan warfare - one, I don't think there's a way to throw a spear in fortress mode, and two, they don't really hold the line - they mostly just charge.

I actually started already, I'm done with spring and mostly set up.

I also briefly contemplated setting population limit to 300, but I don't want to find out what's below 1 fps.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 11:52:44 am »

What could be is the fort is actually several smaller areas connected to a tunnel. Each zone has a barracks, and facilities with each squad holding their own dedicated section. Holding the line. The central complex at the end of the tunnel is where residential and industry is done. E.g food produced below and ferryed to the various stockpiles on the small taverns attach outpost. This is just my mad idea.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 12:33:55 pm »

I mean, it doesn't sound too hard - just move everything deeper and establish a few barracks on the outside. Right now the deepest I can go is four levels below ground though - at least until I'm done with the aquifer.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 01:19:17 pm »

sign me up. I have some experience with the 'entrance always open' challenge, including the 'limited traps' rule: it is neccesary to train dwarves and acquire steel ASAP. like, first year ASAP... the premium version is veeeery punishing when it comes to battle injuries and the subsequent mental woes.

popcap should be around 100-200 if you want the game accessible to a majority of players

i suggest we ban ALL traps, excluding ballistae, just to make it interesting. up to your preferences of course

the first year is super important. set us up for victory!! I imagine you will want to add restart or fail-state conditions in case one of us flubs the defense

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 04:49:56 pm »

It is the Age of Myth on The Planet of Dawns. Only five years have gone by since this world arose from Armok's blood, and the beasts roamed the lands yet unclaimed by the young civilizations. Dwarves and goblins, humans and elves, all in a rush to secure their lot in lives. But of course the most deserving are those who are most willing to fight for it.

Today I, Dumed "Baprr" Samamfath, will embark on a journey with my six closest friends. Together we form The Lancer of Dusks - for our swift strikes will bring end to every one of our enemies. We are heading to a land far from The Short Dye-Oar, to found a new city unlike any other – a city characterized by strength, courage, and unity. The Desert of Mortifying at the foot of The Scintillating Spine will be our new home and the beginning of our new empire. We have brought with us supplies and building materials to construct our own settlement, modeled after the mythical city of Sparta. Here we will be able to build fortifications, and ensure the prosperity of our people. We will soon have our weapons crafted and be ready to take on any adversaries that may appear along the way.

Gods of the founders:
Ustuth - the god of torture, misery and labor.
Datan - the god of minerals.
Banik Amuggedor - the god of trickery, treachery and lies.

The Lancer of Dusks:
Dumed Samamfath, a novice armorsmith with some competency in tactics, axes and armor. Finds blind following of traditions foolish. A worshipper of Ustuth.
Feb Idzatthud, proficient in both armor- and weaponsmithing is the only dwarf with no military training whatsoever. Dreams of creating a masterwork one day. A worshipper of Ustuth.
Ilral Zimilral - a carpenter, skilled with axe both in battle and in chopping of trees. He respects power, values hard work and doesn't think too highly of commerce. A worshipper of Ustuth.
Dodók Zefonlolor - a somewhat competent weaponsmith and blacksmith, along with some military training. She sees cooperation as very important. A worshipper of Datan.
Cerol Oddomâtast - the best axedwarf out of the whole group, isn't trained in anything else. Dreams of mastering a skill. A worshipper of Datan.
èzum Uristgasol - the best spearwarf out of the whole group, isn't trained in anything else. Values family, isn't a huge fan of Dodók. A worshipper of Datan.
Aban Kelaknûn - miner, good with armor and shields. He's the expedition leader, dreams of creating a great work of art. The only worshipper of Banik Amuggedor.

This is a big step in our lives, starting from a small community of seven dwarves and eventually growing into a fully-fledged army. We all share a common goal – that of making our dream of a resilient city come true. To that end, we will put our hearts, minds, and bodies together and succeed in our endeavor.

Our journey begins now – may it be a success!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The adventure proper started in Woodcity - the Mountainhome, the seat of power of our queen Stinthäd Entryroof, and a blight upon The Walled Continent and the whole of our civilization! We will escape this needless excess and carve our own home out in this world! I pray to Ustuth to never see that place again!

I've picked a good place - a desert at the foot of a mountain, surrounded by both goblin fortresses and human towns. Our cousins from The Trade Roofs are just across the mountain and are likely to be in line for our conquest once we are done with the closer enemies. There are also some elven retreats (though I don't exactly know what that word means) somewhere pretty far away, but I doubt we will ever make contact. Maybe once we're bored.

The first problem we encountered was buying equipment for the journey. There was no way to afford even one suit of steel armor - even the cheapest stuff, made by the apprentices - and even buying everyone suits made of copper (copper!) would mean going into battle hungry and half-naked AND the few pieces we could afford would be worse than the stuff even I could make.

I was about to leave the market with only a few axes, picks, and the food, hoping to eventually dig out enough iron to make armor, when my eyes fell upon the most wonderful thing...

--------------------------------------------------------
BTW, so far only Salmeuk (and one of my friends from outside this forum) expressed their desire to join. callisto8413 and AvolitionBrit, I'll name some dwarves after you, but do you also want a turn?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 04:55:55 pm by Baprr »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 05:05:48 pm »

I will take a turn

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 05:34:30 pm »

looking good. Dwarf me as Ezum the Spearfighter would you?

let the carnage begin

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2023, 02:54:52 am »

Since I suck at fort mode I'll just watch this one.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2023, 11:36:36 am »

Spring of year 5

I discussed this plan with both Feb and Aban - our metallurgy experts - in detail. We buy cassiterite and copper nuggets, make an alloy, and get bronze. The process is very efficient - we will get eight bars of bronze for every pair of stones we smelt. If we make our own equipment away from the capital and it's blasted guilds, we will get enough armor to suit up every member of Lances for almost free! I also ordered some hematite and marble for steel weapons, and leather for the more mundane clothing should we need it. The rest went into some logs, barrels of drink and meat, and three dogs.

Finally! We are on our quest!

And I immediately felt naked. The river was infested with behemoths and giant alligators, yet all we had to protect ourselves with was one pick and some untrained dogs. I prepared to meet them with our bare fists, when I noticed that they weren't really aggressive. Perhaps they live their entire lives in the river? Or maybe they're just herbivores? Anyway, we will slaughter and eat them once we have our weapons (and armor - those teeth look awfully big for something that doesn't immediately attack).

Aban went to dig out a place to put our smelters, while the rest of us started hauling our supplies away from the scorching heat. We also grabbed some plants from the nearby sands just in case.
Finally! I personally smelted the first batch of bronze bars, while èzum went to work on smelting steel - which is no easy process, and one we don't share with other races lightly. Our weapons need to be better than their armors after all.

Our second concern was the kitchens - an army can't run on an empty stomach after all - and some other necessities, like backpacks and tables and beds. We also slaughtered the yaks we bought to pull the wagon and trained the dogs for war.

Feb said she would need some practice before working with steel, and started on the bronze suits of armor. Full suits, including shields, of course.

By Ustuth' bloody knuckles, she's good at this! Once we have proper space and some more workers we should honour her work somehow.

After digging out some living spaces, Aban hit the stone and discovered some more good news - this whole time we were sitting on a vast vein of magnetite! It's very conveniently intersecting a vein of coal, and in retrospect I think we would have been fine even if we didn't bring the bronze with us. Still, I believe it was worth the effort to produce our arms faster, because it's time to get us some alligator meat.

And they were gone by the time we emerged from our hole in the ground. Later our dogs attacked an otter, but it run away too.

Still, that gives us some time to finally train while Aban is digging and Feb is stockpiling some extra suits of armour in preparation for migrants that will surely come in about a week.

Our combat drill was interrupted by a shrill, squealing bark - while we were training, some camels attacked our dogs. We intervened before any of the dogs were killed, but they were injured severely. Most of the herd of camels run away, but we managed to kill two. I'm not sure their meat will make up for it if we lose the dogs, but we'll butcher them anyway.
and soon
I also decided to start training on the surface so we could better see any approaching beasts. I will order some walls built - right now the place really looks like just a hole in the ground, and not the grand fortress it is supposed to be.

Feb looked at our axes and said she can do better now, so we have to give them up to be melted down.
Spring is over now.

-----------------------------------------------
Everyone in this thread is named

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2023, 11:51:10 am »

No turn for me.  Not only do I run a game here but I have two other AARs I do on another forum.   :D

But I will be watching.  Just to see if I die in glory or fall down some stairs and break my neck.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2023, 04:55:30 pm »

Summer
Migrants arrive, eight of them. Only Sarvesh Èzumsobir has any military experience, but she's pretty well-rounded and is also a blacksmith. The rest will have to train. Catten is a decent armorsmith, almost on par with Feb, so I give him the keys to the second forge while Feb focuses on her axes - she's yet to make a masterwork, but she's getting much better.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We got some free hands, so I decided to breach the aquifer since it requires a lot of dwarfpower applied very fast. We all started smoothing the walls and turns out it was barely a layer deep. We did find some more spots filled with water so mining is still somewhat problematic, especially since those usually coinside with much needed ores and coal. Parts of our mines are even now leaking water. We'll smooth them when we excavate the entire vein.

I was in the middle of scheduling our training and figuring out the squad rosters, when I was informed that we breached the caverns. There's nothing of note I think... Wait, dolomite? Thank Datan! We can finally replenish our stocks of steel! I will order some exploratory mining immediately.

Autumn
Summer went by without me really noticing - I was really absorbed in training and occasional management of the mines. Feb is shouldering most of the smithing, Catten is making some basic iron armor - we have almost enough to outfit the entire population. What was I doing again? Right, training rosters... Wait, are those kangaroos? I heard they were excellent boxers, we MUST try them in a fight - hey, that's basically training too.

What I thought was a brook turned out to be a river proper, so we had to wait for a bridge to be built. Still, now we can finally have a real brawl - unlike those camels, kangaroos will surely prove to be worthy foes!

They run. They swim away and run, and jump, and not a single one of them tried to fight back. Sarvesh is the fastest of us and scores the first hit, but her hammer doesn't make the animals bleed, or chop off any limbs, they just stumble and bounce and run again. Disappointing. Sarvesh does kill one eventually, but that wasn't a fight, they run away like scared animals.

Oh, and also the caravan came. They didn't have anything really interesting - no leather, for one. I bought some drink, a bin of silk, and a few anvils.

They asked why we don't have any crafts? "Make them yourself".

We encountered some more camels - one herd was giant and I thought they would put up a decent fight, but they didn't. There was also one giant lizard but it died in one swing too. The wildlife in this place isn't what I expected. We need to find a better source of combat experience.

Winter
Two migrants came. One is a pretty decent fighter, the other is a complete peasant.

In preparation for some actual fights I ordered some soap made. The process is somewhat intricate, but soap can mean the difference between a slow death of infection and not.

A lot of food goes rotten due to lack of free hands to store it properly. There is nothing we can do.

In search of better opponents I tried sending parties to neighbouring civilizations - demanding tribute at first. I joined most of them in case it turns into a fight, but no, they just agreed. The cowards. The sight of our glorious masterful bronze armor and our gleaming steel weapons must have been too much for them - no goblin can take on a properly equipped dwarf and live. We will see what they're going to bring us though.

But then one settlement dared to defy us! Their leader - an ugly lizard-faced demon named Ugath - laughed at my squad from behind the walls of it's fortress! There was no way to attack them then and there - not without a massive tactical disadvantage, so we went home to prepare a better plan of attack.

I conducted a few raids to scout their position and recoup some losses from missed tributes. We now have a herd of flightless bird-like creatures goblins often ride into battle. Beak dogs are twice as big as a dwarf and can take an arm off with a peck. We could use them for defence while the raiding party is away.

Once I knew the place like the back of my hand, we attacked. Ugath was caught unawares and we killed some goblins. The demon later arrived with the rest of the army and we retreated instead of fighting at a disadvantage. Feb got into a fight with Ugath and escaped with only a few bruises - those were gone by the time we came back home.

Once we came home I witnessed Shaud making the greasiest roast in existence from some old meat. It really made me long for the battlefield so I started planning another raid on the goblins.

The second battle went worse. The goblins were ready for us, and we had to fight overwhelming odds. We still killed some goblins, but Ugath tore off callisto8413's ear, and goblins kept pouring out of their pits - we had to fight four or five goblins each! We retreated with no losses, but still, looks like we will have to prepare more thoroughly.

Fortress management takes up too much of my time - it is time to enforce the ancient tradition of overseership. I told everyone to take the last month of the year off from training and sat down to write this journal. I hope that my vision of a strong fortress is going to be realised, and I plan to keep training the military for the Lances.

A short description of the fortress:

The entrance is pretty barebones, there is a roof over the barracks (I don't know exactly how training experience works, but if it's like social experience the smaller the better). There's ten bars of soap.

Only a level below the surface, the metal industry is out of coke right now. You will need to dig for more coal - or for magma. A small hospital, close to the surface and the potential fighting, not yet installed.

The supporting industries and the dormitory. Don't butcher too much here, there aren't enough dwarves to haul the meat before it rots.

The dining hall is rather spartan. It's also just barely enough for the current population, add some tables when you get migrants.

The entrance to caverns and the mines. Loom, close to the webs. There was nothing interesting in the second cavern.

I created a simple pattern - six dwarves train constantly, while four groups of 2-3 dwarves only spend one season training each. I named their squads appropriately.

One final look at everyone. I gave them a small break from training.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some notes: it was the first fully militaristic fort I've ever made, and the first time I've had such a large army in Steam release.
I have no idea how to order them to always wear armor.
I would've started with all 5 levels in Tactician if I read the wiki beforehand. In two fights it only leveled up once.
I know I didn't do much in summer. Almost everyone just trained that season.
DwarfTherapist sees returning from missions as migrations. It's a bit annoying.
There isn't as much dolomite in the caverns as I'd hoped. I'm forbidding it for non-economic uses.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I told ChatGPT to create a story about the last raid - it eventually gave me something palatable. Here.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2023, 05:06:16 pm »

The save. https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16539

AvolitionBrit, your turn.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2023, 06:22:57 pm »

Roger that

Drunken scholar
Pages: [1] 2