Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding vanilla raws that do not have CUT/SELECT  (Read 810 times)

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding vanilla raws that do not have CUT/SELECT
« on: March 15, 2023, 06:07:07 pm »

If I want to modify some vanilla raw entries (in this case body detail plans and tissue templates but my question applies equally to everything without a CUT command), is the only option to disable the vanilla file in the Mods screen, and reproduce the entire contents of that file in my mod?

Or modify the vanilla files directly, I guess, but I don't want to do that.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Modding vanilla raws that do not have CUT/SELECT
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 12:18:42 pm »

You can CUT the specific object you want to change and then remake it. Dont have to remove the entire vanilla objects files for it or anything like that.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 06:29:48 pm »

I don't think I can CUT a tissue template or a body detail plan though, because the wiki says they're not supported. So for example

Code: [Select]
[CUT_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:CHITIN_TEMPLATE]
will not do anything. That's the whole essence of my question - if there's a way to CUT tissue templates, body detail plans, material templates, or bodies, then I'm all ears!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 11:43:20 am »

My bad, I didn't read properly. In that case yeah, duplicating the vanilla objects for those classes and then editing them, and disabling the vanilla objects in the load order, is probably necessary.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 03:25:27 pm »

You can make one of your mods incompatible with one of vanilla files, to specifically indicate that you are replacing that file.
You just need to put that information in info.txt file.
Example:
[CONFLICTS_WITH_ID:vanilla_bodies]
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository