Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Farworld Pioneers: To starly go where colonies are bound  (Read 3101 times)

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Farworld Pioneers: To starly go where colonies are bound
« on: March 17, 2023, 02:51:20 pm »

[Big Edit] Game has now released! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363900/Farworld_Pioneers/

Farworld Pioneers is an upcoming colony sim by Igloosoft inspired by Rimworld and Terraria (and maybe a little bit of Starbound).

Also, I'm helping create it!

The game mixes the exploration elements found in 2d block building games along with npc and colony management found in colony sims.

Edit: new trailer and release date for May 30! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yambZmWBYYM

It also takes advantage of z-levels: depth areas inside buildings/structures in the world that players can enter and exit from. The plan is to use these for more complicated dungeons as well as ways for colonies to deal with special structures, among other things.

Lots of cool guns with a focus on gun gameplay.

Theres also a pretty neat research system thats setup to be easily modded in the future that works by a mystery->insight->research->discovery system, where you can find items in the world and research them to gain insights to unlock researches to unlock discoveries and maybe even more insights. 
Insights themselves are also freeform, and any research does not care where it gets its insight from, and just getting an insight might also fully complete a research directly.

Colonists have their own stats and professions and gain profession levels, which can unlock special recipes.

We are also getting in space travel! The game plan with space travel is a bit different than Starbounds "home zone" type though as ship entities are things you actually build and fly around in.

The game might be a bit sealy too.

Theres also multiplayer support with ~32 players supported (unbound actually but thats a good number we will go with that).

Anyway, now that all thats done with, suppose theres a bit of game history to go over.

The basic gist though is: the CEO of Igloosoft is Rhopunzel, who worked on Starbound and Rimworld. Shenanigans happened and here we are now. The end? Theres a much bigger story but not really mine to tell.

My own blurb: I was a mod on Shores of Hazeron for awhile (to those that vaguely remember that), among other things, and that may have influenced some of the things I helped make here. Farworld Pioneers really caught my eye as a project that was aiming to be more than just a platformer with window dressing colonists.  I'm hoping as we move forward I can help make it special in its own way.

Would be glad to hear peoples thoughts about it! Theres currently a demo available on Steam at https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363900/Farworld_Pioneers/
for a bit longer, plus we have weekly playtests with signups on our discord at https://discord.gg/Asntr8e
(Twitter link at https://twitter.com/FarworldPioneer for anyone that still uses that site, I've mostly moved to Mastodon myself personally)

P.S: its been awhile since I've posted on bay12 and I cant for the life of me figure out how to set a new avatar. I'm trying to use Imgur and add the link in the http:// box but every time i do it, it just blanks out. Is it a size thing maybe? Anyone have more info?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 11:10:09 am by Moghjubar »
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farworld Pioneers: To starly go where colonies are bound
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 07:01:49 pm »

Oh hey I remember the demo of this. It looked and played good from what I went through of it. Also glad ya'll actually kept the demo up after the steamfest kudos for that.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 09:56:50 pm »

From what I gather, the URL needs to be HTTP, HTTPS is broken.

Just remove the S from the link and it should work.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 07:28:11 am »

From what I gather, the URL needs to be HTTP, HTTPS is broken.

Just remove the S from the link and it should work.

Weird. I can give it a malformed link and it updates but when I put in a proper one the page hangs and then goes blank and stays there.

Edit: think I got it now. Sheesh.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 07:49:09 am by Moghjubar »
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 10:06:36 am »

Farworld Pioneers is an upcoming colony sim by Igloosoft inspired by Rimworld and Terraria (and maybe a little bit of Starbound).

With that sort of heritage is a native linux release likely to be forthcoming?

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 11:32:33 am »

With that sort of heritage is a native linux release likely to be forthcoming?

In theory yes, we've tried Mac builds before even with some results so I'm assuming we can also build for Linux as well.  We don't have much available for testing/supporting something like that just yet though.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2023, 02:07:48 pm »

I was just thinking about Starbound the other day, then lo and behold this pops up. This looks a LOT like Starbound, but I hope it winds up better.

Dare I hope for mod support?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2023, 05:38:31 pm »

Official mod support is a bit off (especially steamworks support) but thats the end goal anyway.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 07:13:39 am »

This looks good.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2023, 11:51:49 am »

Big announcement too! We got a release date and a big new trailer (and releasing on consoles too!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT8VIs2J6-4
(also, we hated the old trailer, new trailer is so much better)
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2023, 02:07:33 pm »

Is this a full release or an early access release?

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2023, 03:16:07 pm »

Is this a full release or an early access release?

A "full" release with continued updates planned.  Sort of like Sea of Thieves was, but more along the model of what Klei is doing now (currently, after their EA release was done) with Oxygen Not Included and continued updates planned over the next few years.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2023, 05:05:19 pm »

I haven't played either of those, but I think I might understand that. Considered 1.0-worthy, but not necessarily out of ideas / passion?

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2023, 05:37:22 pm »

I haven't played either of those, but I think I might understand that. Considered 1.0-worthy, but not necessarily out of ideas / passion?
Something like that, yeah. Better to be "released" with an update plan and some official support rather than linger in early access (and harder to do a release that goes onto consoles like that too).  The difference in how those are defined is not far apart.

In any case, I don't think anyone should buy a game unless they like what is already there, early access or not (and we for sure don't want to pull some DF-9 stuff anyway, we have a demo and do continued playtests for feedback so we know where to point the game in the future). We plan to have all of our core features in and expand on those as we go.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2023, 11:09:37 am »

And its here, game is now out!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363900/Farworld_Pioneers/

We will be gathering feedback/bugs and working on updates accordingly. Looking forward to getting future updates out!
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon
Pages: [1] 2