Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Farworld Pioneers: To starly go where colonies are bound  (Read 3100 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Farworld Pioneers: To starly go where colonies are bound
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2023, 01:15:47 am »

My own blurb: I was a mod on Shores of Hazeron for awhile (to those that vaguely remember that), among other things, and that may have influenced some of the things I helped make here.

You just sold 2 copies. I don't even care yo :P
I'm a ways off, but I intend to make a Youtube channel with my wife and this looks like a great one for co-op play.
It seems like you guys got a lot of work in your hands. HMU if you are ever expanding the team.
Keep it up, and great luck with the development!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 01:17:54 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2023, 04:17:22 pm »

My own blurb: I was a mod on Shores of Hazeron for awhile (to those that vaguely remember that), among other things, and that may have influenced some of the things I helped make here.

You just sold 2 copies. I don't even care yo :P
I'm a ways off, but I intend to make a Youtube channel with my wife and this looks like a great one for co-op play.
It seems like you guys got a lot of work in your hands. HMU if you are ever expanding the team.
Keep it up, and great luck with the development!

Thanks yo. Definitely a lot of work to do, its been a rough launch but now that we can focus on things other than pushing release hoping to iron out a bunch of big fixes quickly here.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2023, 11:03:13 am »

Just a general update here: we are up to version 1.093 now on steam (not on console / windows store version), which should fix a bunch of the unfortunate issues that cropped up at launch. If anyone was waiting for general stability to improve before playing now might be a good time, would love to hear some feedback and get any more nasty issues ironed out. As these things get ironed out and nailed down we plan to pivot more toward quality of life items and a handful of new features in the coming months, should have more to share later there.

Speaking of console though, ideally this version plus maybe a few extra fixes will go to cert for the XBox / Windows store version (and however long that takes, weeks probably).  Our porting experience has been very, very rough (and is part of the reason a lot of our initial issues cropped up, including how we released), so hoping this at least will make the game playable there. 

Will be nice to be able to focus on making the game better again soon.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2023, 05:12:27 am »

Oh hey I remember the demo of this. It looked and played good from what I went through of it. Also glad ya'll actually kept the demo up after the steamfest kudos for that.

Oh, there's a demo? Gotta remember to try it, this looks fun.
Love, scriver~

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2023, 01:01:34 pm »

I feel really bad for the launch this had on XBox, especially as part of Gamepass. It's immediately obvious that there is a lot of love that went into it, and in general, the design ethos seems sound. Unfortunately, the AI pathing, balance, and control scheme really make it difficult to get into. I found it largely unplayable after barely an hour - I could probably have struggled through, but I found myself having more frustration than fun. Losing is indeed !!FUN!!, but not when you're fighting the game to get it to do what you want.

Hopefully some constructive criticism from a player POV will help. Some things I noticed:
  • Having to point directly at every object (especially NPCs in motion) you want to interact with is tedious with a mouse and nigh unplayable on controller - either some cursor snapping or an entirely new system is desperately needed here
  • Traversal is frustrating with the current way your character moves. Aiming is very rough, and the fact that melee attacks hit everyone nearby makes dealing with friendly NPCs extremely touchy
  • NPCs hit each other (unless part of the colony maybe?) so when monsters attack them, they tend to kill each other instead of fighting back
  • The tutorial is relatively decent, but it doesn't give enough guidance in terms of its learning goals for the player: just building a wall is great, but even better if you mention that it's in service of building a house. Obviously too much handholding can be annoying, but having no context for what to plan for means a lot of the effort can be wasted
  • Job designations are a good idea, but some more automation with NPCs would be grand - being able to set zones where planting and harvesting happen automatically would go a long way in making the colonies less micromanage-y
  • Monsters are way too numerous and aggressive for a game where NPCs need to actually walk back to your camp - losing colonists to animals because they can't path away from danger is not very fun
  • Due to how fiddly the environment already is, having no dedicated weapon slots makes combat even more of a juggling act, and if you're trying to save an NPC, healing them and fighting off monsters is nigh impossible

I imagine a lot of these issues are already being tracked, but I hope that the game is able to be updated to make it more playable. Like I said above, it absolutely has a lot of potential, but it's held back by these mechanics and control systems.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2023, 12:45:33 am »

Yeah, when I have a chance I want to go over the general control scheme for the controller and make it... not terrible. We are discussing ways to fix various problems there, will keep these things in mind.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2023, 10:12:32 am »

The XBOX patch finally went thru! Its currently at a version between 1.092 and 1.093, though what the porting team missed shouldn't theoretically make it less stable. Hopefully the experience is at least playable now. [edit] ok so the porting team still has broken saves in the XBox / gamepass version (it saves... once!). Back to the drawing board there i guess.

Other than continued QoL work (difficulty settings for player drops, raider scaling, etc) and bugfixes we are looking into UI tweaks and content for a volcano world here now. Also working on improving some existing content, notably underground generation and setpieces. Hope to have something showable soon.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 09:13:04 pm by Moghjubar »
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon
Pages: 1 [2]