Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dogonnit waterwheels in the new version...  (Read 655 times)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dogonnit waterwheels in the new version...
« on: March 19, 2023, 12:01:18 pm »

I'm sorry to have to ask this, but I can't find anything on the matter anywhere...
I just downloaded the new version to try (would get steam version, but playing on computer that I can't load programs on (not admin)).
I'm mostly getting the hang of this new mouse interface. I've been playing DF for 15 years on and off, so I'm not fully incompetent (I don't think)...

However, one thing that has defeated me is water wheels - specifically, their direction.

I can make waterwheels that are north-south, to which the gear assemblies are east or west of the wheel.
I've spent the last (FLIPPING) hour trying to figure out how to build an east-west water wheel, where the gear assembly would be north or south of the wheel. I have failed. I cannot, apparently, find any way to get it to construct an east-west lengthed waterwheel, neither by sensing it directly nor by somehow rotating it. I am defeated!

How... How how how... How how how how how...
*Pickerel has gone stark raving mad!*

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Dogonnit waterwheels in the new version...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 06:45:08 pm »

So I just fired up the Steam version, and the orientation buttons are clearly visible:
Code: [Select]
Water wheels are 1x3 or 3x1.
The long side should align
with the water's flow.
[↕] [↔]

However, when you switch to ASCII graphics, both of those buttons disappear, so I guess I understand why you're confused.
If you click directly beneath "with" you'll get N/S orientation (with E/W connections), and if you click directly beneath "the" you'll get E/W orientation (with N/S connections).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 09:31:32 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 08:25:08 pm »

If you want the premium version you can buy it from Itch.io too. That's just a download, same as the Bay12 version.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 09:52:38 pm »

yeah ascii is missing a series of functions right now