Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New ASCII colours  (Read 1216 times)

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
New ASCII colours
« on: March 22, 2023, 08:42:26 pm »

Any idea why the colours were changed in 0.50? Whenever I install the game the first thing I do is replace the colours with the old ones because I really don't like them. Is anyone else like this, and does anyone know why they're different now?

Urist mcbayblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New ASCII colours
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 03:34:37 pm »

If you go into files for dwarf fortress 47.05 you should be able to find a txt files with all the colour values. I think it's called colors.txt and is in the init file. You can just copy and paste that into the same place on the steam version and replace the new colours.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 09:45:11 pm »

I agree - the ASCII version didn't quite make it to premium unscathed . luckily it is a simple fix afaik

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 02:49:17 am »

I always changed the colours anyhow, never liked the originals. There's plenty of colour schemes to choose from.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 03:11:11 am »

It might have something to do with several of the colors of the palette being too dark or something? I think Toady talked somewhere about the dark colors not being good, but I can't remember where and when (or maybe I'm just imagining things)?

I usually change at least the dark blue and gray colors, since they're hard to read on my laptop.

(DFColorgen is a handy web tool to visualize new colors.)

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 06:26:44 am »

Oo thanks I'll have to check this out :D

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 06:39:01 am »

I tried using something on this but it left this weird background behind all my text while in non-ASCII mode, any clue how to stop that?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2023, 04:31:32 pm »

I tried using something on this but it left this weird background behind all my text while in non-ASCII mode, any clue how to stop that?
Yeah, doing almost anything in ascii mode (changing to the square tileset for example) has a weird effect in graphics mode right now. Just gotta stick with one or the other.