Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333]

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 469446 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4980 on: January 06, 2024, 04:30:56 am »

man I forgot Bay12 even existed. And by extension this thread

So here, have a list of the things i've cooked recently (within the last few years) that were notable for whatever reason.

- Cooked hunter's stew (bigos) in 2020 during lockdown. Had a bunch of sauerkraut saved up plus some cabbage in the fridge, as well as a fair few cured/longlife meats so figured i'd go for it.
Very rustic, smokey, meaty flavour but i made so much of it (and my fussy housemates refused to try it) that i was eating it on my own for a straight week. I used mushroom, paprika, sauerkraut, cabbage, tomato, csabai, bacon, krakowska, stewed for hours.
Spoiler: bigos on the stove (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: bigos in my bowl (click to show/hide)

- Don't have a photo, but cooked a turkish camel stew, called "Sucuklu yohut yemeği". No photo, but recipe here https://exploringtheturkishkitchen.com/index.php/recipe-database/recipe/5-Turkish-chickpeas-and-sucuk-recipe It was very simple to make but extremely tasty. Camel was surprisingly easy to source (probably because Australia has a pretty significant feral camel population). Would happily make again. Only wrinkle was sourcing a substitute for the turkish fermented pepper flavouring biber salcasi - ended up substituting a bit of soy sauce + chili flakes

- spaghetti bolognese (here in aus it's Spag Bol or Spag Bog) made with ingredients (almost) exclusively sourced from local farmers. Added milk, bit of red wine to add some interesting things to the sauce, pasta was squid ink spaghetti with a bit of chili oil tossed in it. shaved a bit of pecorino pepato on top of the bolognese. It ended up being a little bit oily but absolutely delightful It's funny how this fairly basic budget meal is so extensible

Spoiler: bolognese (click to show/hide)

- confit chicken - this was for a family christmas. I'd originally intended to smoke the chicken fillets prior to confit, but inclement weather prevented that from happening. Pretty simple to make. Peppercorn, chicken breast, whole garlic cloves, thyme and shitloads of duck fat (about $24 AUD worth, but luckily it's reusable). Cooked for 3 hours @ 135C (275F)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: January 07, 2024, 05:29:33 am »

Confit sounds deceitfully close to confect to be a coincidence
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: January 07, 2024, 02:17:20 pm »

Have a nasty case of the sniffles so I spent the past few hours making a good medicinal chicken broth.
Down to boiling off some of the water to strenghten it. The broth thickens.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 02:19:46 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: February 16, 2024, 01:17:10 pm »

I just found out that peanut butter banana cookies with white chocolate chips added are frikkin' incredible. Holy shit this is good!

E: Anyway, more details, it was a betty crocker cookie peanut butter cookie mix. You substitute half a banana for the egg it calls for, then dump in like. This batch I split in two and put a cup of milk chocolate chips in one half and a cup of white in the other 'cause I've never done this particular mix before and variety's nice, so for a full batch it'd just be two cups of white chocolate chips straight. Everything else is normal, this ain't exactly fancy. Cooks for a good 11-12 minutes on 375F. Let sit for a bit and then consume. Expect it to be chewy 'cause chewy cookies are best cookies and banana cookies are extra chewy.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 01:25:52 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: Today at 01:47:54 am »

Personally for me, it is always nice to have a quick sandwich, nothing too fancy.
Max avatar size is 80x80
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333]