Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: no new migrants in the second year  (Read 592 times)

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
no new migrants in the second year
« on: March 28, 2023, 06:26:53 am »

it's been three fortresses in a row that I have this issue

after the two scripted waves in summer and autumn, after the caravan, after the long, cold winter, spring arrives but no migrant waves

that's odd, and yet I try to take good care of my fortress, avoiding useless drama, stocking up food and booze, I even build a generic temple, all in the first year
then I try to trade lots of stuff with the first cut gems I am able to find in the first layers, some even 400 dwarfbucks worth. Sometimes i even tried donating one or two to the Mountainhomes, in the hope to receive some renown

Nothing.

My civilization is flourishing, afaik there are no wars nearby and my outpost is well within our friendly territory

why noone comes?
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: no new migrants in the second year
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 08:31:13 am »

How long do you wait in these fortresses? I'd just let it run for a year and see if anything happens.

Are you getting a message? 'Your fortress attracted no migrants this season' should be popping up. If not, there's certainly a bug at play.

I believe experiments showed that the number of tasks related to migrants (in a previous version, so may be outdated). Try designating huge portions of the map for mining (with no path to, if you don't want all that extra space.)

It's entirely possible you're getting unlucky. Since a caravan is arriving, I assume your civ isn't dead, which is the usual reason why you'd only get two waves. Does an outpost liaison come with it?

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 09:56:15 am »

How long do you wait in these fortresses? I'd just let it run for a year and see if anything happens.
I'm in summer of the year 101, no migrants

Are you getting a message? 'Your fortress attracted no migrants this season' should be popping up. If not, there's certainly a bug at play.

yes it appears that message, which is the reason I am quite worried
I believe experiments showed that the number of tasks related to migrants (in a previous version, so may be outdated). Try designating huge portions of the map for mining (with no path to, if you don't want all that extra space.)
do you mean that having lots of task raises the % of receiving migrants? why?

It's entirely possible you're getting unlucky. Since a caravan is arriving, I assume your civ isn't dead, which is the usual reason why you'd only get two waves. Does an outpost liaison come with it?
yes yes, caravan and liaison appeared in the first autumn, no issue with that

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 10:00:02 am »

Seems like I've seen the message in most of the early migrant waves in my new forts, but I always assumed it was because I didn't produce much wealth in the first year.  I didn't have problems with attracting migrants after the early waves, so have you been seeing migrants come after the first year?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 02:33:38 pm »

Seems like I've seen the message in most of the early migrant waves in my new forts, but I always assumed it was because I didn't produce much wealth in the first year.  I didn't have problems with attracting migrants after the early waves, so have you been seeing migrants come after the first year?
winter of the year 101 has passed and this time it didn't show even the no migrants message

starting to get quite annoyed

EDIT: https://imgur.com/sVB3LPz

THEY ARE HERE!!!!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 02:49:06 pm by Raven »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 02:55:09 pm »

You probably didn't produce a lot of wealth, if you were using cut gems to trade. You even lost some wealth by trading the gems.

You need to produce a lot of wealth, and keep a lot of it when the caravan leaves the map.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 07:01:45 am »

You probably didn't produce a lot of wealth, if you were using cut gems to trade. You even lost some wealth by trading the gems.

You need to produce a lot of wealth, and keep a lot of it when the caravan leaves the map.
Huh... I thought I needed to trade it to prove I produced it to the liaison

good to know for the next fort then, I'll produce some prepared meals