Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yet Another Cataclysm: BN/DDA (and related mods) Thread  (Read 2108 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Yet Another Cataclysm: BN/DDA (and related mods) Thread
« on: March 28, 2023, 05:44:57 pm »

Alright, if we could maybe not have another argument that gets the thread locked again, I'll start us off this time.

In particular I'm gonna start off with bringing up some news regarding the Bright Nights version I didn't get the chance to mention in the last thread: Some updates to the recently-revived C.R.I.T. Expansion mod.

Most of it is just JSON modernization and getting some stuff back up to par, updating old arti-effect usage to use relic data, but in particular the Dragon Slayer has some perks to it that make it significantly more worthwhile to use given its gigantic moves-per-attack value, and the reso-blade no longer has...5/5 damage. You also can't gain negative movecosts from C.R.I.T. techniques.

I've already got plans to update it some more too, professions in particular could use some touching up and tweaking here and there. And as always, implementing Arcana mod as an in-repo mod for Bright Nights is always on my to-do list for whenever I get time and energy to work on it.

One other thing not yet brought up, fairly recently Bright Nights also welcomed Scarf005 to the BN development team, already proving quite helpful with merge work since PRs have started to pick up a bit as of late.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Yet Another Cataclysm: BN/DDA (and related mods) Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 06:14:29 pm »

At that point it's getting hilarious that an argument that calm down after only 1 page (edit : 2 pages) is enough to get a Cataclysm thread locked on that board.

Anyways, i think it got to a point there should be just 2 separate threads, one for CDDA and one for CBN to avoid that "curse" as if you keep opposition away from each other that should tone down the chance of yet another lock.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 06:17:40 pm by Robsoie »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 06:21:25 pm »

Every year or two I boot up Cataclysm and play for a bit. Mostly I like driving from town to town, exploring the countryside, doing supply runs at gas stations. Android and mutant builds are always fun but I've struggled to find CBMs/mutagens in the wild in recent playthroughs. I usually play with the dino mod, because dinosaurs are fun, and it gives you something cool to kite zombies into as an alternative tactic.

I had some relatively ambitious modding plans at one stage (years and years back) but I wasn't up to scratch enough to understand the relevant code base, so I only succeeded in making some hats. Might give it another shot if a particularly good or easy idea comes to me!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 06:29:34 pm »

Anyways, i think it got to a point there should be just 2 separate threads, one for CDDA and one for CBN to avoid that "curse" as if you keep opposition away from each other that should tone down the chance of yet another lock.

I'm not sure yet if it'd be the best approach or not. I was tempted to make this just the BN thread and leave it to someone else to open a DDA thread but eh. Plus honestly I worry it'll be like on reddit where it doesn't stop people from using r/cataclysmdda as functionally a shared space anyway (and I feel it's 100% okay to do that if things are kept civil, but there's a lot of neither camp really being trustworthy about doing that).

If someone wants to split off into a second thread I can rename this thread and refocus while we're still on the first page but whichever works. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Android and mutant builds are always fun but I've struggled to find CBMs/mutagens in the wild in recent playthroughs.

Keep an eye out for exodii-related content if DDA, pay attention to special zeds and the industrial center if BN, for CBMs. Labs should I think be relevant as a predominant source for mutagen in both versions, but it's hard to tell at a glance if it's a real lab or a microlab.

For BN, I want to at some point flesh out and add more variety to the room contents of microlabs. They're only really used for storing generic chemical reagents and organs in both versions for the most part, but I'd like to make them a "this is useful for materials that you'll need to take full advantage of stuff present in the standard labs" type of location. Basically as a way to encourage the player to explore both types of lab, in addition to making microlabs more interesting as a consequence.

But again, effort. :<
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 07:41:06 pm »

You know what, I'll start a DDA thread myself, being de-facto the DDA spokesman here. At this point it's probably the least drama-tastic solution. Rename this to the BN thread once I do.

Edit: boom done. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=181544.0
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 07:57:32 pm by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.