Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roughchanced: A fort of horror  (Read 719 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Roughchanced: A fort of horror
« on: April 10, 2023, 10:12:50 am »

Right, i made a small embark yesterday and continued today. What was a small thriving fort turned into a horror story. It begun in the 2nd year of the fortress, i had build a small keep around the entrance and had planned out a 2nd floor. As it was being build i noticed snow and a dark red liquid which i had mistaken for blood but turned out to be malodorous slush. Realised that on embark i must have picked a evil biome and thought nothing of it. The slush seemed like it didnt do anything.
Spoiler: Malodorous Slush (click to show/hide)
As the willow 2nd flood is being built i check on the dwarves and see that he is blind and heavily bruised all other. Then his foot mangles.
Spoiler: Subject 1 (click to show/hide)
Wierd i check another dwarf, blind and mangled. See multiple bruised and mangle injuries. Start to build orders for a hospital and cancel construction. It was too late, items were coating in the stuff. Then the giant porcupine came, Beachfathers the Equivalent Famine.
Spoiler: Beachfathers (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kills (click to show/hide)
It was agitated by the slush and killed seven managled dwarves before another dwarf locked it into a room. The military were all bruised and mangled. Must of been a horror site to the humans stationed there.
Spoiler: Contained (click to show/hide)
The some horses got agitated and killed most of the dwarves. Just a sole survivor who was slowly exposed to the malodorous slush. He practical melted as he was slowly mangled away.
Spoiler: Horse Combat (click to show/hide)
Now all i have is a fort of 5 humans who are monster slayers. What should i do with this fort?. Whilst horrifying, the slush is an effective weapon against anything exposed to it. The humans have an stockpile of food from the dwarves so will survive a long enough to become citizens.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 10:14:27 am by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roughchanced: A fort of horror
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 03:31:30 am »

Keep the fort going, and see if you can over come the Malodorous slush.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 04:02:54 am »

Yeah, keep the fort going, though I believe it might need some tricks to get the monster slayers to petition for citizenship, since they don't normally do that.

Maybe a simple DFHack profession change will do the trick?

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 06:16:02 am »

It took a bit but new dwarves arrived and a season later finally one took up an expedition leader role. Fort is going well. Its a 50% human 50% dwarf fortress currently. The weather is very interesting. Agitated animals will attack everything whilst slowly rotting away. A group of wild owl men became feral but had been exposed too long to the slush. Liturally fell to the ground and rotted away. Im just awaiting a roc or dragon to show up to see how well it holds up and how long it can survive.

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 12:33:48 pm »

that's fucking metal. its not often you see evil weather do something so physical.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 01:03:24 pm »

Honestly its effects are brutal. Causes animals to rage and bruises you til your pulp. Its basically a zombie infection.

Drunken scholar

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 02:25:39 am »

The more I hear of this place the more hard core and metal it becomes.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2023, 08:46:51 am »

We need raincoats in this game.

Also, how are you dealing with it?  Covered roads?  Keeping the populace inside?  Trying to grow trees inside?  The outside sounds too deadly...
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 09:15:31 am »

Its one level up from ground that the slush falls. I didn't notice its existance until i built up.

I have dwarves at the entrance as it turns animals hostile and aggresive. Try to limit exposure. Have a few perma blind dwarves cause of it but if i catch it early they live. The mangled ones, can sort of get fixed in the hospital but im low on thread so thats my next plan. Currently want a flying megabeast to come and see the time it takes to full take effect. Since it bruises until it mangles. It might causes something like a roc to crash and splatter on the ground before making it to the roof. Saw it did that to some owl men so i know its a posibility.

Drunken scholar