Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventurer NPCs  (Read 769 times)

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventurer NPCs
« on: August 08, 2006, 05:38:00 pm »

Is there any way to give NPCs equipment? Marksdwarves are very good allies, but they run out of ammo pretty fast, and I was wondering if  I could currently equip them. Also, in later releases it would be helpful if there were some way of ordering my allies around or locating them when they are out of sight, as I have had half a dozen wander off alone and get slaughtered while I bumble about merely trying to find them.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Adventurer NPCs
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 05:56:00 pm »

There's nothing you can do right now, although getting them to be sensible companions is definitely high on the list of goals.  Right now, it's kind of a burn out and die game.  I wonder if that'll change.

Once the lighting arc is underway, at least they'll be bumbling around too.  Currently, they can see in the dark, which is why they get in so much trouble.  Also, once you have lighting for the caves you'll be able to see much farther, although you'll probably lose a hand to it and have to throw torches on the ground and other fun things.  Fun fun fun.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 06:09:00 pm »

Actually, it occurs to me that regardless of the status of my now-dead companions, I have no clue how to switch from my mace to the dead marksdwarf's crossbow. There doesn't seem to be a command for it.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 06:12:00 pm »

ah that, yeah, it's inconvenient.  you have to drop the items and get the crossbow into your favored hand.  you can also pickup the quiver of bolts and wear it possibly.  I don't remember if there's still a backpack conflict with that.

edit:  if the crossbow is in your backpack, you have to use 'r' to remove it, and then drop or 'p'ut away whatever else is in the hand.

[ August 08, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

Jim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 10:30:00 pm »

i'm not sure if this is a bug either:  i had a dwarf character who was a pretty good wrestler.  when i went into a kobold cave, i knocked over a spearman. i picked up his fallen spear, but my attacks were still wrestling techniques.  is this a bug?  (screen said that the spear was in my right hand)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 10:35:00 pm »

Your character will make decisions about what they want to do based on their skills.  You can force the use of the spear by pressing [c] and change attack preference to "strike" or "charge".  If you want to wrestle, do "close combat".  Also, if you use capital [A] to attack, you can change to wrestle mode to do particular wrestles (long list).  If you use [A] to attack and are in attack mode, you'll use your [c] preference, exactly as you do when moving toward somebody.