Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 50.08 Released  (Read 8238 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress 50.08 Released
« on: May 02, 2023, 02:11:38 pm »

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

Release notes for 50.08 (May 2, 2023):

New stuff
   (*) XML export is back in legends mode.

Major bug fixes
   (*) Cleaned out lingering data from autosaves and manual saves that could cause corruption if multiple worlds were active.

Graphics additions/changes
   (*) Added graphics for many child/baby creatures.
   (*) Added hatchling state for dragons.
   (*) Added crop/sprout pictures for outdoor plants.
   (*) Added outdoor sapling graphics.
   (*) Added palettized boulders.
   (*) Ice wall graphics updated.
   (*) Smooth ice wall graphics added.
   (*) Added more fortification images to indicate direction and material.

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Stopped dwarves without working grasps from trying to get goblets to drink, failing, and dying of thirst.
   (*) Allowed most water-based jobs that use buckets to use partially-filled water buckets in addition to empty buckets.
   (*) Made stocks screen open faster.
   (*) Made all stockpiles not include the refuse option.
   (*) Stopped refuse piles that also have armor/finished good settings from degrading contents.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 50.08 Released
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 03:00:11 pm »

I didn't get an answer in the Steam thread, but this doesn't add baby graphics for any of the layered creatures like dwarves or goblins, right?  The beta branch files didn't look like they had any new graphics or raws changes to support that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 04:10:05 pm »

Hmm. Seems that this has only added the XML export.
What happened to the pops information ('p' in 47.05)?
I use that every time I gen a new world to check populations to see how my latest mod tweaks are working. Don't really want to export XML and load into Legends viewer every time. That'll take ages.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 02:48:17 pm »

I didn't get an answer in the Steam thread, but this doesn't add baby graphics for any of the layered creatures like dwarves or goblins, right?  The beta branch files didn't look like they had any new graphics or raws changes to support that.
It doesn't. Layered baby graphics is more work and would have delayed things.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 04:24:03 pm »

Hmm. Seems that this has only added the XML export.
What happened to the pops information ('p' in 47.05)?
I use that every time I gen a new world to check populations to see how my latest mod tweaks are working. Don't really want to export XML and load into Legends viewer every time. That'll take ages.

Yes, this.

@Putnam: Some are muttering very darkly on Discord and Reddit about an XML export update, how it'll (presumably) potentially just all be a big Adv mode sideshow, which I don't think any of us actually want, right?(Ediit: that is to say: it being a sideshow to the Adventure Mode release per se, is what we don't want, to be clear.)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 12:27:35 pm by Silverwing235 »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 10:24:29 am »

@Putnam: Some are muttering very darkly on Discord and Reddit about an XML export update, how it'll (presumably) potentially just all be a big Adv mode sideshow, which I don't think any of us actually want, right?

I for once absolutely want an adventure mode because I need to eventually update Adventurecraft, which there's currently no point in doing given it's an adventure-mode mod. :<

Also, front page news block still only mentions 50.06's release.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 06:01:59 pm »

@Putnam: Some are muttering very darkly on Discord and Reddit about an XML export update, how it'll (presumably) potentially just all be a big Adv mode sideshow, which I don't think any of us actually want, right?

I for once absolutely want an adventure mode because I need to eventually update Adventurecraft, which there's currently no point in doing given it's an adventure-mode mod. :<

Also, front page news block still only mentions 50.06's release.
Try hitting Refresh. Says 50.08 for me.
Wait, are people seriously saying somewhere that they don't want Adventurer? I couldn't really work out what people were "muttering darkly" about from that last post.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2023, 07:58:14 pm »

I think they mean this
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 10:25:41 pm »

Ha. Never noticed that before.  ???

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2023, 10:32:20 am »

Yeah, the forum's header is still saying latest version is 50.06.

And honestly while I still haven't been able to set aside some dosh online to get the steam version, the fear of adventure mode going the way of giant desert scorpions and curious underground structure is the other thing keeping me from getting it for the time being.

While stuff like better tilesets and mouse support and all that are really neat and probably great for new players, my main reason to move to the steam version would be to continue work on my main mod, which isn't really feasible at the moment since no adventure mode.

Though honestly I've been busy as fuck with other projects like contributing to BN as well as IRL stuff, and I'm basically going to have to recreate Adventurecraft from scratch because the raw folders are structured completely differently, so even if we do get adventure mode back I'm not sure how long it'd take me to get it in working order. @_@
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2023, 12:41:26 pm »

(*) Stopped refuse piles that also have armor/finished good settings from degrading contents.

Some people relied on this to get rid of worn clothing dwarves abandon in their rooms.

Perhaps dwarves should relinquish ownership of clothing they replace (as well as soldier food they drop.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2023, 09:32:50 am »

Yeah, the forum's header is still saying latest version is 50.06.

And honestly while I still haven't been able to set aside some dosh online to get the steam version, the fear of adventure mode going the way of giant desert scorpions and curious underground structure is the other thing keeping me from getting it for the time being.

While stuff like better tilesets and mouse support and all that are really neat and probably great for new players, my main reason to move to the steam version would be to continue work on my main mod, which isn't really feasible at the moment since no adventure mode.

Though honestly I've been busy as fuck with other projects like contributing to BN as well as IRL stuff, and I'm basically going to have to recreate Adventurecraft from scratch because the raw folders are structured completely differently, so even if we do get adventure mode back I'm not sure how long it'd take me to get it in working order. @_@
You really think they're going to spend the year working on upgrading Adventurer and then say "you know what, we don't want it after all".
How long have you followed development exactly?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2023, 09:49:12 am »

As I've had to say again and again every time someone tries to start shit over me raising this concern, just because it isn't likely or logical doesn't mean I'm not going to worry about it anyway until it's actually safely back in the game.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2023, 03:06:04 am »

Some people relied on this to get rid of worn clothing dwarves abandon in their rooms.

Perhaps dwarves should relinquish ownership of clothing they replace (as well as soldier food they drop.)
Yep, I use this.

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
Dwarf Fortress Save Games Not Loading
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2023, 02:46:48 pm »

[50.08] (*) Cleaned out lingering data from autosaves and manual saves that could cause corruption if multiple worlds were active.

This bug caused a lot grief since the Steam release in December, refunds, bad reviews, and many people (mistakenly) blamed it on mods. Can anyone confirm if they are still having trouble loading saved games now?

0012018: Crash to Desktop on loading game during Loading Units phase:
https://dwarffortress.mantishub.io/view.php?id=12018

0012145: Game crashes on save after caravan leaves map:
https://dwarffortress.mantishub.io/view.php?id=12145
(Report: 2023-04-17 - 02:39 - Still not fixed in the current beta. Now the game hangs in "Offloading units" for longer than usual but still crashes nonetheless.)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 11:50:11 pm by GM-X »
Dark Ages IV: DF & Skyrim mods + Survival Sims 
http://AdventRPG.com/