Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: TURKISH ELECTIONS ARE... Over. All is lost. (TurkePol Thread?)  (Read 11045 times)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TURKISH ELECTIONS ARE TODAY
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2023, 06:23:09 am »

Other countries coming in and imposing a leader on a population is very rarely a good thing, even if the leader they are removing was objectively terrible. Because it means the new leader's power doesn't come from his population it comes from the favor of the imposing country.

This however is compeletely different. It is one country (hopefully) removing a terrible leader through legal and established practices. The main opposition guy is so someone who's rallied most if not all the opposition parties to his side. He's promised to implement EU democratic rules, sever government controls of the media, revoke the objection to Sweden joining NATO and in general move the country to improve ties to Europe and other western powers.

Erdogan on the other hand is a corrupt, heavily religious, Kurd-killing autocrat who staged a fake coup in order to arrest and torture anyone in a place of real power who didn't support him. So if he gets elected it's possible he might never leave power till he dies. In a way this election is literally a vote between democracy and autocracy.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2023, 06:26:25 am »

I just want Erdoğan off my life!
Why? What does the opposition candidate have to offer beside not being Erdogan?

Simply removing someone who rules for ~20 years is a good thing, no country can be truly prosperous with this kind of stagnation.
Is it ? USA removed some very bad rules in the middle east, subsequently it lead to instability and blood bath that made the region more impoverished. Can you be more specific than a generic dogma ?

Those are the negative effects of foreign interventions, not the effects of removing a bad ruler. Furthermore, we can't know what would happen if, for example, Saddam stayed in power in Iraq till the end of his life. It is very possible that Irag would degrade further and explode into a much deadlier civil war.

Also, there are no guarantees. I know little about Turkish politics. Maybe that guy will be even worse. But if Erdogan will remain in power, stagnation and rot of the Turkish political system will continue and there are no maybes.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2023, 06:29:12 am »

We are talking about the turkish voting someone else in power here  :). I don't see how you can compare it to those interventions
A comparison can be made on the grounds of much harm caused to the cheer of clueless people. Germans also just voted someone else in power in the lead to ww2.

I have strong preference based on my geopolitical interests. I am curious of what other thinks about the situation in Turkey, especially if they are from Turkey.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2023, 06:40:45 am »

I VOTED FOR THE FIRST TIME

I VOTED FOR KEY-MAIL CLUTCH-DOOR-UGLY (Kılıçdaroğlu)

I AM INCREDIBLY DISTRESSED
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2023, 06:48:18 am »

THE ELECTIONS ARE HAPPENING

I AM GONNA GO VOTE
best of luck.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2023, 07:09:54 am »

THE ELECTIONS ARE HAPPENING

I AM GONNA GO VOTE
best of luck.

I ALREADY DID

I HOPE WE WIN
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2023, 10:07:42 am »

We are talking about the turkish voting someone else in power here  :). I don't see how you can compare it to those interventions
A comparison can be made on the grounds of much harm caused to the cheer of clueless people. Germans also just voted someone else in power in the lead to ww2.

Oh, the old "Hitler was elected via democracy, democracy is not so good" argument.

Hitler merely won the election (with nothing close to a landslide), democracy failed when Germans allowed him to destroy democratic institutions.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2023, 11:34:42 am »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

CHP IS BEHIND

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I AM FREAKING OUT

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2023, 12:41:46 pm »

Youth  :P  remember this moment to contrast and compare after you gone through few more elections. its really fun.

I know little about Turkish politics. Maybe that guy will be even worse. But if Erdogan will remain in power, stagnation and rot of the Turkish political system will continue and there are no maybes.
I have little interests in your faith in change or cave sandwich slogans, unless someone have actual argument in support of either party I am out.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 12:43:33 pm by jipehog »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2023, 01:16:38 pm »

I don't know about the other candidates, but Erdogan is very similar to Putin in my books.

(And I'd be surprised if he actually loses these elections.)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2023, 01:57:01 pm »

Yeah the guy is basically a Turkish version of Putin (tho his flavor of authoritarianism (try saying that quickly three times) has a more religious bend). The only reason his shit has been tolerated by most of the west is because Turkey is far too important and useful to alienate, both to NATO and the EU at large.

It'll be good to see the bastard gone, even tho the chances of that actually happening are fairly slim as he's had a good few decades to entrench himself in the position.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2023, 02:16:28 pm »

Yeah the guy is basically a Turkish version of Putin (tho his flavor of authoritarianism (try saying that quickly three times) has a more religious bend). The only reason his shit has been tolerated by most of the west is because Turkey is far too important and useful to alienate, both to NATO and the EU at large.

It'll be good to see the bastard gone, even tho the chances of that actually happening are fairly slim as he's had a good few decades to entrench himself in the position.

I expect narrow Erdogan's victory with minor election fraud here and there and a political crisis after the opposition won't recognize the result

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2023, 02:24:12 pm »

WE ARE APPROACHING MIDNIGHT

I don't think you guys understand the stakes this election has for me. I am a pansexual atheist. If ersoğan wins, and sharia arrives at last, I will die.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2023, 02:33:50 pm »

I don't think you guys understand the stakes this election has for me. I am a pansexual atheist. If ersoğan wins, and sharia arrives at last, I will die.
Erdogan has been in power in one form or another for twenty years, which, if I recall correct, is your entire life. You have not been dead yet. Please try to retain a sense of proportion.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2023, 02:38:32 pm »

Erdogan has been in power in one form or another for twenty years, which, if I recall correct, is your entire life. You have not been dead yet. Please try to retain a sense of proportion.

Yeah, it takes that long for a secular goverment to decay into de-facto theoracy. If he wins, it will completely unravel.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16