Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: TURKISH ELECTIONS ARE... Over. All is lost. (TurkePol Thread?)  (Read 9991 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: TURKISH ELECTIONS ARE... Over. All is lost.
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2023, 04:15:53 am »

I don't want to go over the whole freedom of religion thing and it's a bit off topic IMO, but I want to give my 2 cents regarding this quote:

There are people full of hate everywhere, in every religion AND no religion at all. But they are (I hope anyway) a small group of people, in the grand scheme of things.

While I like the sentiment, it is more or less unfounded. When there is a political leader that is either in favor of hate based politicies or at the very least willing to favour such politicies (and the associated groups) in order to gain or keep his power and then said leader gets the majority of votes in an election then the only logical conclusion is that the majority of the voting population is either in favor of such politics or at the very least willing to turn a blind eye to the victims of said policies for their profit. That is not a small group, that is more than half of the people that are actively shaping the future of that country.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2023, 04:26:30 am »

People who attack me for my faith can also fuck off and die however. It's not your business what I want to believe. Yes my old self was essentially obliterated by my conversion but that is a good thing considering what I was like.
I vaguely remember you saying you're Buddhist. Did you convert to or from? Because if you converted to Buddhism, obliterating the self is... well, the point.
lol no I said I considered Buddhism and then went like, "nah". I am a Protestant.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2023, 05:07:57 am »

I don't care about polygyny.

I want a MAN!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2023, 05:56:17 am »

And some of those reformed christians turned out as calvinists so...
They really got quite radical, after their split with the hobbesites, in the great Wattersonian Schism of '95!

(I don't really read the railgun thread, not ever PTWed it and not sure when I even last peeked in just for a lurk, but I've a feeling there's a lot of already covered ground from here, over in one or other of the Eternal Threads. Until and unless Turkey goes all 2016 again (or even 1922!), I'm not sure what else to say here.)

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2023, 07:28:51 am »

I want a MAN!

One thing in favor of the religious is that they have faith. Unlike many young people want everything now, now, now! they have long term aspirations and will to fight despite all odds hopping to achieve victory in 1, 2, 5, 10 years..

Truth is most people in Turkey (and middle east at large) care about lgbt issues as much as you care about Bangladesh sinking cities. They have more pressing priorities in tumultuous neighborhood at tumultuous times. Most voted Erdogan because the despite the economic hardship he represents stability, diplomatic clout, and Islamic values -- that is not in anyway or form my endorsement just is their perspective.

I believe that you should not put your personal life on hold, nor give up the good fight.

EDIT: added dropped word in edit in bold.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 07:49:53 am by jipehog »

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2023, 11:42:12 am »

I want a MAN!

Truth is most people in Turkey (and middle east at large) care about lgbt issues as much as you care about Bangladesh sinking cities. They have more pressing priorities in tumultuous neighborhood at tumultuous times. Most voted Erdogan because the despite the economic hardship he represents stability, diplomatic clout, and Islamic values -- that is not in anyway or form my endorsement just is their perspective.

Dude it was a joke. I know LGBT rights is like, the least of my issues.

Also, I don't think ersoğan can even provide that stability, since a full economic and demographic meltdown is about to start.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2023, 05:21:54 pm »

demographic ?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2023, 05:58:09 pm »

I think Magmacube means more emigrants from Turkey.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 30, 2023, 07:09:15 pm »

I think Magmacube means more emigrants from Turkey.
Taking their money with them, no doubt.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 30, 2023, 10:46:03 pm »

That is in part why you see more emphasis on conservative value in the face of globalization undermining national borders. With economic shifts it is not unthinkable that quality of life map will shift and the west might see similar trends with Trump's and Orban's

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 30, 2023, 11:16:37 pm »

Not all perspectives are valid.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 31, 2023, 04:44:20 am »

demographic ?

The whole of the brainpower is leaving off to Europe. They have been already, in droves, for years. But now, We are lucky if any remain at all. I mean practically all of the students in high prestige universites voted for the opposition. These future engineers, surgeons, and what have you won't stay in this failed state. They'll go to the West, where they have an actual future. Leaving us to rot.

Also, the migrants are bringing some... very degenerate traditions, such as little girls dancing on alcohol tables, the putrid crime against childhood that is Bacha Bazi, and treating woman like cattle. News of them stalking, tabbing, killing and raping woman are already around, and it hasn't even been a week since ersoğan won. It will only get worse in time.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 31, 2023, 10:35:13 am »

What really baffles me is that a (luckily small, but still,) majority of the Turkish people I know over here in the Netherlands, who were not just born here, no, hell, their parents were born here and their grandparents or even great-grandparents migrated here in the 1950s-70s... They still campaign for Erdogan, even though what he stands for as an autocratic leader who imprisons journalists and political opponents, and would like to restrict women's rights, is diametrically opposite to the Dutch society they and their parents grew up in.

I can't wrap my head around that.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 10:44:59 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 31, 2023, 12:07:00 pm »

It will only get worse in time.
So AKP camp is invincible?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 31, 2023, 01:02:11 pm »

I can't wrap my head around that.

It's a common issue.

First-generation immigrants know what they're migrating from, may be seeking the change (or willing to try to integrate, however imperfectly). Their offspring can then find that they're not local enough to be local, not traditional enough for their ancestral culture. Youthful rebellion, against whatever they most can't understand about their parents, can send them either way, being hyper-localised or associating with "their original culture" (without necessarily the best sources, or experience of what drives people away from it).

Perhaps the only more fanatic adherent than a "retrocultural" second-(/occasionally third-)generation immigrant is a pure native with nowhere to 'run back to' (or no inclination) who somehow gets caught up in being converted away to one of the many other-origin influences. Whether religious, political or cultural. Budhism to K-Pop, via Line Dancing and <insert random political figure here>... and sometimes that kind of person gets noticed for all the wrong reasons too.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16