Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: TURKISH ELECTIONS ARE... Over. All is lost. (TurkePol Thread?)  (Read 11048 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: TURKISH ELECTIONS ARE... Over. All is lost. (TurkPol Thread?)
« Reply #165 on: June 12, 2023, 04:11:54 am »

But what is so sacred about objectivity? Perhaps some beliefs are just that: diseases.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 12, 2023, 08:46:47 am »

Tucker Carlson also think so.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 12, 2023, 11:59:27 am »

a disease.
Again, you should be more careful with your phrasings. Imagine if someone called you that.. you can't turn PC only when its convenient.
Fuck you  :P

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 12, 2023, 01:29:37 pm »

iirc someone recently made fun of Elon Musk being 'free speech absolutist' only when it suits him, I guess he is no different then rest of you just much more successful/rich.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 01:32:04 pm by jipehog »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 12, 2023, 04:32:28 pm »

iirc someone recently made fun of Elon Musk being 'free speech absolutist' only when it suits him, I guess he is no different then rest of you just much more successful/rich.
Actually, I am probably the only one that is a "Free Speech Absolutist", and I ain't censoring you.

Magma has not once been PC, Allah Bless him.

MaxTheFox believes in the virtues of censoring Far Right Rhetoric, just ask them.

Also: Why can't we make fun of 'ol Elozer Suxs? He certainly doesn't care when I come under criticism!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 12, 2023, 04:51:41 pm »

You have censored enough people in your Ukraine threads, to the extent you could, or cheered on them being booted. You're no free speech absolutist - may Chomsky forgive you.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 12, 2023, 09:39:12 pm »

Tucker Carlson also think so.
He does. Why would that have a bearing on my beliefs?

Oh I wasn't making fun of him being a hypocrite about being a free-speech-absolutist. I was making fun of him for claiming to be a free-speech-absolutist at all!
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 12, 2023, 10:01:38 pm »

You have censored enough people in your Ukraine threads, to the extent you could, or cheered on them being booted. You're no free speech absolutist - may Chomsky forgive you.
...like usual, Il Palazzo has a good point.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 13, 2023, 02:47:51 am »

MaxTheFox believes in the virtues of censoring Far Right Rhetoric, just ask them.
And they believe in the virtues of censoring Far Left Rhetoric, just ask them. Do you see the problem for discourse..

Magma has not once been PC, Allah Bless him.
Saying what you have on your mind without any filter is easy, the question is do you afford others the same freedom. What if someone came here and used such language about him.. would he be saying Perhaps or crying with religious zeal for the ban hammer..

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 13, 2023, 03:34:33 am »

I don't really value discourse with those people. Letting them and their servants speak merely serves to validate their beliefs. They are beyond saving.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 13, 2023, 04:10:51 am »

So you would support anyone right to say that your religion is a 'pervasive mind disease'. Stating that you are 'beyond saving', what you say is merely 'validate your beliefs', and it is 'virtue to censor' you.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 13, 2023, 04:29:39 am »

So you would support anyone right to say that your religion is a 'pervasive mind disease'. Stating that you are 'beyond saving', what you say is merely 'validate your beliefs', and it is 'virtue to censor' you.
Nope because I consider my beliefs more valid than theirs.

Now, I wouldn't kill them, or send them to jail for this even if I could. These beliefs alone don't justify such things unless acted on. I would probably ban them from a forum or a chatroom I had mod powers in however because honestly I cba to humor them. I expect to be banned from communities they control too-- and that's fine because I don't go there and my side and their side should stay in our respective lanes. Let them have their own echo chambers.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 05:07:36 am by MaxTheFox »

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 13, 2023, 05:25:58 am »

I consider my beliefs more valid than theirs.
Said like any true believer out there.

I expect to be banned from communities they control too-- and that's fine because I don't go there and my side and their side should stay in each others' lanes. Let them have their own echo chambers.
So its a fair game to ban LGBTQ people, because they should stay in their 'own lanes', their own ghetto 'echo chambers'..

Do you really still not see the problem? with replacing robust freedoms of expression and religious belief with person whims and bullying, or do I need to ramp the antics?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 13, 2023, 05:46:17 am »

Freedom of speech is a lie online anyways. What I meant is, who's going to stop e.g right-wing Discord servers banning left-wing people who join? And they do. So why on God's green Earth should I give them that same tolerance? Turning the other cheek might work IRL, but online it just gets you slapped twice. Wouldn't there be less conflict if everyone just stuck to their ideologically-aligned communities?

This forum is a rare exception, of a community where both the left and the right can tolerate each other. But it is just that, an exception. Civil discourse is dead, trying to dig it up will only unearth a rotten corpse. It is unfortunate, and I indeed would prefer if everyone could be civil, but alas echo chambers are the lesser evil compared to letting Nazis roam free online.

My position is honestly less spite and more recognizing that civility just... doesn't really work out nowadays.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 05:51:28 am by MaxTheFox »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 13, 2023, 06:20:46 am »

Too throw in my totally unasked for two cents here, sorta what my philosophy is in this argument, pointed at jipehog;

Principles don't matter if they don't serve the core of your belief because they are ultimately fake anyway.

The only thing that is "Good" is action that results in what you want, and the only thing that is "Bad" is action that results in what you don't want.

So when you essentially say "Hypocrisy is bad", I would say that no, bad actions are bad and good actions are good. The class of action that they are doesn't actually matter. To give a concrete example. Far right hatred leads, fairly overtly, into things that I consider bad. Censoring them can stop that bad thing from happening, and thus is good. Far right wing spaces censoring people also (somewhat less overtly) leads into things I would consider bad, therefor that censorship is bad.

There's no principle of "censorship is bad". Simply the question of what it leads too.

Thus, when you try to simply draw equivalencies in these matters on simply a philosophical standpoint, it's simply a false equivalency from my perspective since it doesn't matter if by some principle the actions are the same, only the results of the actions matter, and so your argument falls flat. To me at least of course :P

If you want to try to make a prediction that ultimately X action will lead to a bad result, that's a much more persuasive argument. It's more useful but also way way way more complicated to actually see the future then it is to come up with some anti-hypocrisy principle and then try to critique others for breaking it. History is extremely complex and the future is even more so, the argument of a slippery slope in discourse and the ability for different sides to reconcile is obvious, but somewhat unpersuasive, to me at least. I'd invite you to make a more complete argument for it if you want, since you obvious seem to believe it or are at least espousing the starts of it here.

...like usual, Il Palazzo has a good point.

Don't listen to him Jack! I believe you're just as much a free speech absolutist as Musk is! And probably for the same reason as well.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16