- 0 (0%)
Bloodsinger
- 0 (0%)
Boar
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 27, 2023, 04:40:22 am

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 52

Author Topic: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - COMPLETED  (Read 20778 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - COMPLETED
« on: May 16, 2023, 07:09:40 am »

Hedge Lords

For your services to King Alkabar in the conquest of Thornland, you have been granted a castle on the western marches. This rugged, mountainous borderland, known as the Hedge, is riddled with Thornish holdouts, the native Squelsh barbarians, and unusual magic and monsters.

Your county is what you can carve out. Pick a spot for your castle, create your lord, and put your stamp on the Hedge! The game involves raising armies, sending them out and conquering neighbouring areas, growing your county, tile-by-tile, and defending it from encroaching monsters.

This game is can be played competitively or co-operatively, feel free to make whatever arrangements before or during the game with the other Marquesses and Marchionesses as you see fit.

The game will start when we have at least one castle in each of the four eastern sectors.

Stuff You Should Look At
Spoiler: Lord & Castle Creation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

Stuff You Can Read About Later
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sites (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Travelling (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Win Condition (click to show/hide)

Game Mechanics That You Don't Have To Immediately Know To Play
Spoiler: Tile Generation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Combat and Sieges (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Enemy Phase (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 12:51:23 pm by notquitethere »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - Signups 0/4
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 07:47:51 am »

Oooh, yes please.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 08:13:14 am by Kashyyk »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - Signups 1/4
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 08:01:12 am »

Looking good. Just remembered I forgot to include Border Colour on the sheet, so we can tell the counties apart on the map. OP is updated, go ahead and pick a colour.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 08:10:59 am »

Added. Is there any way to pay off debt? Also I don't think I saw any way to go into debt in the rules. Is there any way to build Villages, Mines, or Quarries? Finally, can you duplicate any features other than Towers?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - Signups 0/4
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 08:14:37 am »

This looks pretty cool. Going to whip up a character. Does the library "fix" the location of artifacts that would be found via tile generation, or does it only ping whatever fixed unusual artifact/sites are a fixed part of the map already?

If you have an archers outside of a siege who are accompanied by normal units, will they die to 5s from the start, or only once all the normal units are dead?

Spoiler: Marquess Ambrosio Vulk (click to show/hide)

Edit: Swapped to P to maybe be a bit further away from Kashyyk and his library in case two being so close is too much competition.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 02:43:55 pm by Criptfeind »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 08:51:17 am »

Added. 1. Is there any way to pay off debt? 2. Also I don't think I saw any way to go into debt in the rules. 3. Is there any way to build Villages, Mines, or Quarries? 4. Finally, can you duplicate any features other than Towers?
1. Not at the start of the game
2. Some special sites or artefacts may interact with debt, but nothing else at the start of the game
3. No, though again, some artefacts may change this
4. No, though if you have more than one castle you get the benefit from repeated features.

Does the library "fix" the location of artifacts that would be found via tile generation, or does it only ping whatever fixed unusual artifact/sites are a fixed part of the map already?
Almost nothing is fixed at the start of the game, it's newly generated as long as there are still unknown tiles.

If you have an archers outside of a siege who are accompanied by normal units, will they die to 5s from the start, or only once all the normal units are dead?
Yes, they can die from any 5s. They are best in forts and castles, or with an artefact that grants defence.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - Signups 2/4
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 09:04:04 am »

Yo, no time to make a sheet now, but I'd like to claim the noble background and the 14s island, if possible.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023, 09:07:50 am »

Yo, no time to make a sheet now, but I'd like to claim the noble background and the 14s island, if possible.
That's fine. I suggest you read about boats if you haven't already, as you won't be able to expand off the island without them (they can be reused once you have them).

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023, 09:09:16 am »

Or wait, criptfiend is already in ss sector. The sheet just says I can't be adjacent to another castle, but the fact that there's a 4 player limit and that we start when there's a castle in each sector implies I can't start in the same sector.

ed: I read everything in stuff you should read thus far. Can I send boats farther than 2 squares if I take multiple turns to do so, or do they return automatically? I'll probably want ships then to go coast hopping.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 09:12:08 am by Egan_BW »
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2023, 09:11:44 am »

Or wait, criptfiend is already in ss sector. The sheet just says I can't be adjacent to another castle, but the fact that there's a 4 player limit and that we start when there's a castle in each sector implies I can't start in the same sector.
I've updated the title to be a bit clearer. There's a minimum of 4 players. Players can start in the same sector so long as they're not adjacent. I think, given where players have already picked to go, there's a max number of player at 6.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 09:14:29 am by notquitethere »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - Signups 3/4+
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2023, 09:13:32 am »

I'll move myself up some if you want.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2023, 09:17:13 am »

Nah, I'm fine with having a close neighbor. I plan on scouting and support, so it's nice to have someone to support, yeah? :p

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2023, 09:23:58 am »

Alright, time to see how many forts I can build.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 10:51:08 am by VermilionSkies »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2023, 09:29:44 am »

Nah, I'm fine with having a close neighbor. I plan on scouting and support, so it's nice to have someone to support, yeah? :p

Sure. There doesn't appear to be travel time, so I suppose that territories have relatively little need to be condensed. I might bump myself up just a little bit anyway just to have a slightly more comfortable early exploration distance

A question For scouts, since they "reveal the contents of every tile it passes through" does that mean that scouts in essence scout 3 tiles per turn? If that's the case, can we choose which 3 tiles, or will they move to maximize exploration or is there a possibility they won't move in a way we like? Like if I'm at P14 and say "scout P11 and Q12" The P11 scout will always go though P12 and 13, but the Q12 has several routes, which could go over 1, 2, or 3 new tiles depending on how it moves.

Second question: For Forts and Castles, when they defend nearby territories, what does that mean?

Spoiler: Marquess Gerald Wright (click to show/hide)
Alright, time to see how many forts I can build.

You're starting directly adjacent to Kashyyk, maybe that was intended but if not maybe you might want to move a bit further north :P. Maybe you two intend to be friends but that close is pretty dangerous if anyone decides to go for a backstab :P
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 09:36:36 am by Criptfeind »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2023, 09:39:43 am »

We also seem to have three Orange Counties. Can you two go pick something else please?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 52