- 0 (0%)
Bloodsinger
- 0 (0%)
Boar
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 27, 2023, 04:40:22 am

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 52

Author Topic: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - COMPLETED  (Read 22138 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - Signups 3/4+
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2023, 09:41:03 am »

Ah, sorry, I read your sheet before colors were added. I didn't notice you picked orange. I'll swap to green green is a terrible idea on a green map, I'll go blue.

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2023, 09:43:00 am »

There we go, moved a section down and swapped to maroon.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2023, 10:08:43 am »

I want in, but don't have the time to submit a sheet just now (should be free 3 hours from now)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - Signups 2/4
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2023, 10:14:44 am »

ed: I read everything in stuff you should read thus far. Can I send boats farther than 2 squares if I take multiple turns to do so, or do they return automatically? I'll probably want ships then to go coast hopping.
You can coast hop by taking territory. You travel out from your borders, so if you conquer a square then your next journey will be from your new borders. Ships can go further and take more armies, of course. But boats can help you expand in the immediate vicinity. To make everyone's life easier, there is no unit position tracking in this game other than for monsters, inhabitants of forts/castles, and sieges. A boat or ship can only be used for one journey per turn, of course.

To characters with libraries: all knowledge in this game is public knowledge (we can imagine the courts are very gossipy and spies are everywhere), so new sites will be listed on the public map and artefact locations will be listed in the thread. (Again, to make my life easier). To give some kind of advantage, research is more likely to reveal something close to the researcher (I'll update the OP to make that clearer).

Spoiler: Marquess Gerald Wright (click to show/hide)
Alright, time to see how many forts I can build.
I don't mind how players record their sheets (as they're responsible for updating them) but with the market you probably want to increase your income by 1. With master Builder, you should add a line for Stone or Resources to record the three stone. As H14 is already taken by Kashyyk, you can't build in G14. Go north a bit more.

A question For scouts, since they "reveal the contents of every tile it passes through" does that mean that scouts in essence scout 3 tiles per turn? If that's the case, can we choose which 3 tiles, or will they move to maximize exploration or is there a possibility they won't move in a way we like? Like if I'm at P14 and say "scout P11 and Q12" The P11 scout will always go though P12 and 13, but the Q12 has several routes, which could go over 1, 2, or 3 new tiles depending on how it moves.
They go the most direct route, maximising exploration. But it's worth noting that because they turn back if the tile is occupied, they won't normally go the full three squares unless they get very lucky.

Second question: For Forts and Castles, when they defend nearby territories, what does that mean?
I realise the OP was very unclear about defending/patrolling. Actually this was a small gap in the rules I had forgotten to update. I've changed the OP accordingly but in short: armies in forts/castles defend the castle, and patrols adjacent to caslte will retreat there if outnumbered. Patrols are a way to put units in defence of tiles.

I want in, but don't have the time to submit a sheet just now (should be free 3 hours from now)
Sounds good.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2023, 10:18:01 am »

edit: changed background to Naval Captain, replaced bowyard with mustering yard
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 11:03:48 am by Quarque »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - Signups 4/4+
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2023, 10:23:26 am »

Are sieges slower then battles? Battles say that rolls are made until a winner is decided, sieges don't have that line, and some mechanics (like castles not making resources when sieges and castle defenders in a siege not being assigned to anything but breaking siege) only make sense if sieges take more then a turn, but it's a bit unclear to me how that works, especially from the attackers side.

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2023, 10:50:47 am »

Edits have been made to my sheet.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2023, 10:59:52 am »

Are sieges slower then battles? Battles say that rolls are made until a winner is decided, sieges don't have that line, and some mechanics (like castles not making resources when sieges and castle defenders in a siege not being assigned to anything but breaking siege) only make sense if sieges take more then a turn, but it's a bit unclear to me how that works, especially from the attackers side.
Yes, an army stops at the fort or castle walls and a siege begins. I'll expand the OP to clarify exactly how it works, but it can take several turns.

This is what the map currently looks like. (Egan probably wants a different colour).

I'll probably start when I get a sheet from Egan and a1s, but there's room enough for two more on top of that I think.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2023, 11:30:15 am »

Can scouts on boats travel 2 by sea and then 3 by land on top of that? Or just 2 by sea? Or 2 by sea then 1 by land? What about on ships?
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - Signups 2/4
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2023, 11:45:16 am »

They go the most direct route, maximising exploration. But it's worth noting that because they turn back if the tile is occupied, they won't normally go the full three squares unless they get very lucky.
Can they move diagonally? If there are multiple "most direct" paths (such as with a knights move), can you choose the path?   

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2023, 12:47:24 pm »

Can scouts on boats travel 2 by sea and then 3 by land on top of that? Or just 2 by sea? Or 2 by sea then 1 by land? What about on ships?
I've clarified in the OP, but yes, you can use a boat to skip tiles (you don't actively scout while on the water), so you could go 2 by sea then 3 by land in a boat. Same rules apply for ships.

Can they move diagonally? If there are multiple "most direct" paths (such as with a knights move), can you choose the path?   
Yes you can go diagonally, and yes you can choose the path.

I have updated the OP with clearer seige rules. Each combat round takes a whole turn in a siege (hence the value of siege weapons to speed things up).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 12:56:59 pm by notquitethere »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2023, 01:11:51 pm »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2023, 02:07:29 pm »

Spoiler: Marchioness Aywen Ayes (click to show/hide)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2023, 02:09:44 pm »

I guess it's impossible to get a new castle? Even if I make a fort entirely out of stone? :p

Also, can stone be bought/sold?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2023, 02:21:12 pm »

I guess it's impossible to get a new castle? Even if I make a fort entirely out of stone? :p

Also, can stone be bought/sold?
Forts are basically mini castles. It's possible to get more castle through conquest of special sites or other players.

Stone can be bought and sold, that was an omission in the OP now plugged.

We will be starting momentarily. Last chance for anyone to sneak in.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 52