- 0 (0%)
Bloodsinger
- 0 (0%)
Boar
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 27, 2023, 04:40:22 am

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 52

Author Topic: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - COMPLETED  (Read 22176 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - Signups 4/4+
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2023, 02:24:23 pm »

Stone costs the same as wood, so always better to build stone forts with gold than wooden ones.
And I'm guessing conquering a castle would give any tiles connected to it the higher victory points at game end?

...I just realized my castle is literally not connected by land to anything, so I might have to get on that!
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2023, 02:41:57 pm »

I'm going to do a last minute change from library to wood production, if that's permissible, I could be wrong but right now with how it works it sorta feels like library is probably mostly just going to spawn loot for others which is a sorta feels bad thing.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2023, 02:44:28 pm »

Stone costs the same as wood, so always better to build stone forts with gold than wooden ones.
Sure, wood is just a lot easier to get in the Hedge.

And I'm guessing conquering a castle would give any tiles connected to it the higher victory points at game end?

...I just realized my castle is literally not connected by land to anything, so I might have to get on that!
If you conquer the land next to your island, you'll connect up to the castle. It's more that you get less for having disconnected patches of tiles.

I'm going to do a last minute change from library to wood production, if that's permissible, I could be wrong but right now with how it works it sorta feels like library is probably mostly just going to spawn loot for others which is a sorta feels bad thing.
That's fine.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2023, 02:58:03 pm »

If you conquer the land next to your island, you'll connect up to the castle. It's more that you get less for having disconnected patches of tiles.
Is that different from ship coast-hopping creating coastal enclaves every 5 tiles? Does it only apply to landlocked enclaves? Or is it just a special case to be nice to me? :p
As far as I can tell, the only way to end up with disconnected lands is by sailing or getting "encircled" by enemies reconquering your lands. Oh, or by getting permission to conquer something on the edge of another hedgelord's lands, which seems like a poor strategy on their part.

So main question is if lands being connected by the sea counts in general, or just for my island to the nearest coast.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2023, 03:09:28 pm »

Lords

Six Lords are granted castles along the marches. These Hedge Lords are entrusted with protecting the border and expanding the domain of King Alkabar.

Once a Thornish enemy, Aywen Ayes defected to King Alkabar's cause and was able to keep her castle, The Oak and Ash, and be made Marchioness. She knows of the nearest Thornish fort: two Thornish holdouts hold a fort at 8/8 strength in P11.

Countess Andice Glorinisits, of high noble birth, has been granted a castle on the remote southern island, Point Swearing.

Seasoned Naval Captain, Fritz Ferdinand von Bockhoven has been granted a fine castle in the north, Bockelstein.

The King's own builder, the Marquess Gerald Wright, has raised up the Castle Wright.

Spoiler: Marquess Gerald Wright (click to show/hide)

Prince Mackial FitzHarbort, a royal bastard who was an inconvenience to the court, has been sent away to the tower of Shandston's Folly.

Finally, the unsettling Ambrosio Vulk has settled in Castle Mysterious.

Spoiler: Marquess Ambrosio Vulk (click to show/hide)

TURN 1

The marcher lords look westward at the wild country beyond...

Resource increases happen at the start of your turn. From here, it's your responsibility to keep accurate records on your sheet, so update them accordingly.

Library Research

- Countess Andice Gloronisits learns that in R4 is the Shield of Earth (the army wielding this is considered to have +1 defence at the start of every combat, as if they were siege defenders)

- Prince Mackial FitzHarbort learns that in C8 is the Crimson Tower (Keep/Tower/Bloodforge) Defence 17/17,  - Dai the Bloodsinger has a Bloodforge in which 3 armies may be sacrificed to create a new artefact (and become anathema to all).

So main question is if lands being connected by the sea counts in general, or just for my island to the nearest coast.
Skipping ahead across water to get to prime locations is maybe worth having to jump through some hoops in the late game to join things up with a castle to get more points. There can be artefacts or sites which will give additional victory points, so it might not be the end of the world if you're spread out.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 04:03:39 pm by notquitethere »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - TURN 1
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2023, 03:24:56 pm »

Spoiler: Orders (click to show/hide)

Question: does production take a turn or can you make use of your new equipment right away? Same question about trade: is it instantaneous?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 03:30:29 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2023, 03:29:19 pm »

Also, can we edit posts?

I propose to establish a fund into each we shall each pay equally, and from which 1 gold will be paid to whoever makes a discovery with their library, as such discoveries benefit all.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2023, 03:36:39 pm »

Should Bog hag be a 9 in the encounter Terrain Features list? Also should prince Mackial be starting at 5 gold like everyone else? Can we use boats/bows/siege stuff the same turn we make them?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2023, 03:40:36 pm »

Question: does production take a turn or can you make use of your new equipment right away? Same question about trade: is it instantaneous?
I think trading is instant? Production is explicitly end of turn:

[under: Resources] At the end of each turn, you gain +1 wood for each forest, +1 army size for each village, +1 gold from each mine, +1 stone from a quarry. Your castle may also produce extra resources. Recruitment = + army. Income = + gold.

I propose to establish a fund into each we shall each pay equally, and from which 1 gold will be paid to whoever makes a discovery with their library, as such discoveries benefit all.
Libraries are most likely to discover things near your own castle, so they benefit their owners more than others. Nonetheless I'd be okay with donating 1 Gold into such a fund this turn.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2023, 03:50:28 pm »

I have plenty of gold without such donations. *Laughs aristocratically.*

Dear Marquess Ambrosio Vulk, would you agree to informally draw our border on the line between Q and R? I'd prefer to push westward without having to worry about racing you for closer lands.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2023, 03:58:19 pm »

Dear Marquess Ambrosio Vulk, would you agree to informally draw our border on the line between Q and R? I'd prefer to push westward without having to worry about racing you for closer lands.
Certainly In EE I'd be willing to agree and it seems the most natural thing to assume each person should control the area around their castle, for further sectors, I am uncomfortably close to Marchioness Aywen Ayes, when I get to the first mountain in the west I'm going to have to go north or south of it, and either way I'm going to step on someones toes there, so am a bit unsure what I'll be doing then.

I think trading is instant? Production is explicitly end of turn:
This seems at odds with:
Resource increases happen at the start of your turn. From here, it's your responsibility to keep accurate records on your sheet, so update them accordingly.
Maybe?

Edit: I'd agree to paying library people something, although I'm not sure at what rate. 1 gold a turn doesn't really make sense I think (that'd just make it a better marketplace)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 04:00:48 pm by Criptfeind »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2023, 04:01:43 pm »

Limiting it to ee is fine. Past that its likely that I'll go long and narrow, giving you more room.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2023, 04:06:52 pm »

Important Update
Sorry for the confusion: all resource production can happen at the start of your turn, and trading and equipment production can happen during your turn, with only scouting and attacking processed at the end. That way it maximises the stuff you're doing on your side and the less I need to report on. I'll update the OP accordingly.

Also, can we edit posts?
Sure, I don't mind. I don't mind double-posting either. Just be warned that if I'm mid-way through doing an update, I might miss an edit.

Should Bog hag be a 9 in the encounter Terrain Features list? Also should prince Mackial be starting at 5 gold like everyone else? Can we use boats/bows/siege stuff the same turn we make them?
Yes, that was a weird error. The Prince has debt but the same starting cash.  Yes, see above.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2023, 04:14:04 pm »

1 wood and 1 gold produced. Trading 2 gold for 1 wood.
Building a boat.
3stack sails to S13 and marches to claim it for the glory of me, and by extension the king, and by extension GOD.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 06:36:56 pm by Egan_BW »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2023, 04:16:09 pm »

Certainly In EE I'd be willing to agree and it seems the most natural thing to assume each person should control the area around their castle, for further sectors, I am uncomfortably close to Marchioness Aywen Ayes, when I get to the first mountain in the west I'm going to have to go north or south of it, and either way I'm going to step on someones toes there, so am a bit unsure what I'll be doing then.
We can't both control the area around our castles, because the areas intersect (in O-13 and O-14) I Propose O-13 goes to me, and O 14 to you. I would also like to propose an Open Border policy for troop movement.

I'd agree to paying library people something, although I'm not sure at what rate. 1 gold a turn doesn't really make sense I think (that'd just make it a better marketplace)
Perhaps one gold every other turn (there are 2 libraries currently so we will simply pay them on alternating turns)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 52