- 0 (0%)
Bloodsinger
- 0 (0%)
Boar
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 27, 2023, 04:40:22 am

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 52

Author Topic: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - COMPLETED  (Read 22243 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - TURN 11 - PEACE
« Reply #450 on: June 05, 2023, 07:59:58 am »

Forgot to post yesterday. A forum game demanding my attention every day is a strange aberration.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 05, 2023, 08:42:36 am »

I'm maybe too hard-line with the update schedule, but most forum games give out mid-way and I'm quite keen on seeing them through.

I'm going on another holiday on Wednesday, for a week this time. I'll have a laptop but I'll probably have better things to be doing with my time, so you'll all have a little break then. I'm hoping to get a turn or two done before though. It's been 48+ hours now, so I'm going to be rolling on the next turn in a few hours time (so not too late to spam out a few quick orders, Egan).

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 05, 2023, 08:46:55 am »

I'm maybe too hard-line with the update schedule, but most forum games give out mid-way and I'm quite keen on seeing them through.
I think it's a refreshing change of pace tbh. Not just the update schedule (although that too is something I quite enjoy) but most forum games are pretty half baked (if even that), whereas this seems like a much more fully realized game.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - Turn FOO
« Reply #453 on: June 05, 2023, 09:08:09 am »

March 4 to the forest valley in Q6.
Sail 1 to the shore of S1.
Sail 1 to claim the useless bog at R13.

Scout R6.
Scout Q7.
Scout R9.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 09:11:32 am by Egan_BW »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 05, 2023, 09:15:36 am »

Going to kill my dude with that, but, given that you're sending 4, I assume you already know that.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 05, 2023, 09:16:43 am »

If God gave me a nice natural chokepoint to fence off a segment of the map for myself, then I'm gonna take it, dammit.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 05, 2023, 09:20:26 am »

That does immediately expose a flaw with the way the game works. Egans going to get a significant advantage to this clash because they sent in their turn way after me, both easily killing my armies because they can see what I'm doing and the scouts I sent into that area are now basically working for Egan. I can't even pull back my dudes to avoid dead armies or wasted scouts now. There's a pretty hefty perverse incentive if you think you might have clashing expansion to wait for as long as possible before inputting your turn.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 05, 2023, 09:32:21 am »

That does immediately expose a flaw with the way the game works. [snip]
Sorry, but I do think you could have avoided this clash by communicating with Egan before sending units. But if we are getting into pvp, we'll probably have to send our orders by pm instead of publicly.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 05, 2023, 09:35:53 am »

Yeah, we could have avoided this specific problem, but you're right that I mean in the broader sense of any sort of conflict between players.

I'm not sure if turns via PM are allowed. That could get pretty messy with editing depending on how that's handled. But yeah if they are allowed then that's at least a solution.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - TURN 12 - REBELLION
« Reply #459 on: June 05, 2023, 10:24:47 am »

TURN 11

Spoiler: Marquess Ambrosio Vulk (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Enemy Phase (click to show/hide)

Turn 12
Research
In A11 (in the Selkie Court) is Cragman's Spike (a scout may pass through mountains)

In K4 is the Host of Prince Owain - Village - Prince Owain is a Squelshman who intends to take back the Hedge for the natives. Starting in his home village (in a WW sector), the Host will march on a random occupied village square each turn (so long as it's reachable by land), and leave a troop behind to guard. If there are no villages left to liberate, the Host will march on a castle belonging to the Lord with the highest reprisal level. The Host has a chance of attacking the owner of a Marrowfat artefact instead of a village if any are present on the map. When attacking, all Squelsh in tiles adjacent to the tile being attacked will join the Host. Liberated villages pledge to Prince Owain. Each turn the Host gains one Squelsh Barbarian for each village pledged. The host begins with 1 unit (Owain, a Squelsh Champion who counts as two armies, personally has +1 to combat rolls) + 1 Squelsh barbarian for each village currently conquered when the Host is discovered. Players may voluntarily give villages to the Host, which also reduces their reprisal chance by 5 for each village. While Owain lives, conquering Squelsh villages generates +5 reprisal chance. Prince Owain carries the Marrowfat Shield. While Owain lives the ferocity of the Squelsh is at its height: all Squelsh units attack first, even if they've been scouted or appear in villages. The Host can retreat in battle if they have any territory left.

Spoiler: Known Artefact List (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Known Unique Sites (click to show/hide)

Notes
- PVP! We've had two player-driven fights. As I said at the beginning, this game can be played co-operatively or competitively... If you feel you're moving into a competive area then you may send your orders by PM. But if you do: update your sheet publically (at least with the your state at the start of each player turn). Don't play mindgames with public posts: if you post things publically and send things privately, I will take the public-facing order. The correct way to do it is place a spoiler of your current game-state and write a note that the orders were sent privately. Please continue to do trades publically. As an optional nice touch for the thread-history, you're encouraged to edit in your previous orders after a turn update so players can see what you said you did.
- Edits are a pain with PMs, so be sure of your order before you send via this method as I'm much more likely to take the wrong post if you spam me with four different versions of your turn.
- Regarding PVP, I randomise who turns up at a location first, so bear that in mind. Often coming last has the most benefits but there's not currently a way to guarantee that.
- Skeletal fighters can't normally do things on their own, but I've ruled that the Blasted Oak ones can as they can apparently spawn without assistance: it's the tree itself that continues to empower them.
- Owain has globally made all the Squelsh more dangerous: they all get first strike regardless while he lives. So bear that in mind.
- Owain himself is a Squelsh Champion, a new unit type which you'll see a bit more of. They count as two armies and get +1 to their own attack rolls.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 11:12:42 am by notquitethere »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 05, 2023, 10:36:02 am »

That dragon is rolling hot!

If an archer has the marrowfat shield, does that protect him from 5s until everyone else is dead?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 10:39:29 am by Criptfeind »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 05, 2023, 10:38:04 am »

That dragon is rolling hot!
His luck is going to run out eventually but he's had a good run so far! He needs to join up with some friends like the Dawn Dragon.

If an archer has the marrowfat shield, does that protect him from 5s until everyone else is dead?
Sure, it makes a unit untargetable while allies on the field live.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 05, 2023, 10:41:11 am »

Does anything stop us from taking back villages we give to the host to farm Reprisal reduction? Even if the host leaves behind a warrior to protect it that's still 4% reduction overall? Abet at the cost of a couple of army turns. That seems like it shouldn't work but am unsure if there'd be something else to stop it?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 05, 2023, 10:46:47 am »

Does anything stop us from taking back villages we give to the host to farm Reprisal reduction? Even if the host leaves behind a warrior to protect it that's still 4% reduction overall? Abet at the cost of a couple of army turns. That seems like it shouldn't work but am unsure if there'd be something else to stop it?
Good point. I remembered something I'd meant to add (which probably should have always been there from the beginning).

While Owain lives, conquering Squelsh villages generates +5 reprisal chance.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 05, 2023, 10:48:45 am »

Yeah, now that's a proper incentive to kill Owain.

Gunna take a lot of working together to put him down though, since it'll be very difficult to kill that many barbarians attacking first at the same time.

If he happens to attack K12 on his first roll that might be the end of us. Which would be pretty funny.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 10:50:22 am by Criptfeind »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 52