- 0 (0%)
Bloodsinger
- 0 (0%)
Boar
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 27, 2023, 04:40:22 am

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 52

Author Topic: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - COMPLETED  (Read 20792 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - TURN 7 - MONSTERS
« Reply #270 on: May 25, 2023, 04:49:52 am »

If this rule is going to be changed, we should be careful to reconsider the cost and durability of siege engines. These currently last only one combat round. As it stands they are expensive and good. Let's not make them expensive and bad.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 25, 2023, 04:56:36 am »

If this rule is going to be changed, we should be careful to reconsider the cost and durability of siege engines. These currently last only one combat round. As it stands they are expensive and good. Let's not make them expensive and bad.
It's a good point. Destroying walls on long seiges is useful (essential vs. anywhere with a Keep), but killing defenders is strictly better. Maybe they don't get exhausted?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 25, 2023, 05:04:52 am »

Not all Siege engines were designed to break fortifications. Towers and ladders let you get over the walls, whilst galleries and mantlets protect you from the defenders whilst you move about.

You can very easily spend the same number of resources on engines to take a Fort as the actual Fort cost to build, but the odds of that actually goes down with higher defence (on a Fort at least). I'm going to vote no change, but if we did change it, I would want high Defence to to be worth more than low Defence beyond merely being more ablative hits. Perhaps the more defence you have, the more likely the defence takes the hit instead of the Garrison? (With the Keep being the ultimate form of that). The maths could complex though.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 25, 2023, 05:06:18 am »

Ironically, I'd probably be better off if we don't swap because someday I want to kill that dang old witch and the easiest way to do it would be stacking 8 siege engines. The change might be better overall (hard to tell really the long term ramifications of it since we've not really gotten into the late game pvp where siege engines would see the most use I think) but I'm gunna have difficulty looking past my own selfish short term self interest :P

I totally agree that we should be careful of changes, but also I sorta think that as we move out of the early game and into the more mid game the economy of the game is changing a lot. In the first few turns they were expensive as there were some forts that needed to be sieged and most people were on 0-1 wood income, but I'm not really sure if they really are expensive anymore? I'm making 3 wood a turn, Wright is making 3 a turn, FitzHarbort is making 4, Ayes is making 5! considering that it's not every turn that we are besieging down a place (at least for the moment) woods really stacking up quite quickly. And we've not even conquered half the map yet. Similarly armies are now sorta lowish value, whereas in the first turns everyone was buying them for 2 gold each, but as everyone hits their army cap and gathers more villages we are reaching a point where loosing armies doesn't really matter that much, and army cap becomes a much more valuable stat. So long as our actions are limited by our army cap our resource incomes will keep going up but our ability to spend that income won't really go up with it, which I think will make things like siege gear better but also cheaper.

Right now I think the only really valuable material is stone, since it can raise army cap, and gold, since it can buy stone.

It's a good point. Destroying walls on long seiges is useful (essential vs. anywhere with a Keep), but killing defenders is strictly better. Maybe they don't get exhausted?

I think that if they don't get used up that'll mean pretty much everyone just buys 5 (or however many to make 1 kill a wall) and then never buy any more ever again? I'm not sure if that's what we should aim for, but then again maybe then people might eventually buy bows.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 25, 2023, 05:08:21 am »

hmm

A decent siege army consists typically of like 6 units, so in an "average" use case a single siege engine demolishes one layer of wall on average. So you're spending 2 wood to destroy something that costs 1 stone to repair. Given that wood is much more abundant than stone, this is actually surprisingly fair.

Ok, I'm voting for the rule change.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 25, 2023, 05:31:49 am »

All good points raised. As we're not unanimous here, what I think I'll do is introduce the possibility of creating wall-damaging seige engines as an additional extra from one of the unique sites that is upcoming.

As it currently stands, if someone wants to spend 14 wood to create the ultimate anti-personnel trebuchet for one round, that's fine- for tiles with lots of units on, or a keep, they'll probably still face some counter-attack.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 25, 2023, 02:35:31 pm »

The current way it works makes sense to me. A properly prepared siege can bypass the walls and kill the defenders, while a less prepared one has to settle down and hope to wear them out. Though maybe it should be harder or more expensive to do.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - TURN 6 - MARROWFAT
« Reply #277 on: May 25, 2023, 02:52:37 pm »

If no one will trade with me, I shall make my own gold.
New orders:
orders:
March 3 on N9
March 9 on O9
Scout N9-O8-P7
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 25, 2023, 10:54:22 pm »

Just a heads up I'm going away for a long weekend, so unless I get a move from Vermillion in the next hour or so there probably won't be an update before Monday.

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 25, 2023, 11:04:11 pm »

Spoiler: Gerald Wright (click to show/hide)
3 Wood, 2 Gold, 3 Armies (1 lost due to overflow), 1 Stone.
Sell 2 Wood for 1 Gold.
Purchase 4 Stone for 8 Gold.
Build Fort Mason at L15 using 5 Stone, assigning three Armies.
Build Fort Tailor at J14 using 5 Wood, assigning three Armies.
Scout L11-L10-L9.
1 Army defends Castle Wright.

About time I finally got around to my true goal this game.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 11:06:13 pm by VermilionSkies »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - TURN 8 - CATS
« Reply #280 on: May 26, 2023, 12:54:45 am »

TURN 7 REPORT
Spoiler: Marquess Ambrosio Vulk (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gerald Wright (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Enemy Phase (click to show/hide)

TURN 8

Research

Countess Andice Gloronisits learns that in N7 is Taghairn Cave - Owned by Cuthbert Catsbane, a Bloodsinger who wields the Cat Sack if it hasn't appeared elsewhere. Has a limited kind of Bloodforge in which three cats may be sacrificed to create a new artefact. You would first have to find a way of gaining the cats.

Prince Mackial FitzHarbort learns that in G6 is Black Claw (Cursed item: cannot be destroyed, sacrificed, gifted or traded. Whoever defeats an army wielding Black Claw will gain the Black Claw.) (+4 dice rolled when attacking, every time someone is killed by a force wielding the claw, the nearest square with a bog cat gains another cat. If there are none, a bog cat will appear in the nearest empty square.)

Spoiler: Known Artefact List (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Known Unique Sites (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 10:25:13 am by notquitethere »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 26, 2023, 02:16:49 am »

Your total losses: one. The 10 gold that would have been looted remains.
Gosh darnit! The one good thing I was hoping to get out of this debacle  :'(

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 26, 2023, 05:45:39 am »

Well rip. I'll send the orb back to you Quarque since our plan for the marrowfat failed. I guess "undefended" means "not behind a wall" not " notdefended by other monsters". At least you have tons of gold to pay it off later.

Also it looks like you might have missed rolling for the fight in Q15 notquitethere. NBD. Although, also, should there be a unique site at O8? I saw one from the hill when I took it, but now that I properly scouted it it's just a hag and her bog.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 26, 2023, 05:58:35 am »

Turn complete

Spoiler: Turn 6 gains/losses (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Marquess Ambrosio Vulk (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Turn 7 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 10:09:04 pm by Criptfeind »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 26, 2023, 06:32:09 am »

Well rip. I'll send the orb back to you Quarque since our plan for the marrowfat failed. I guess "undefended" means "not behind a wall" not " notdefended by other monsters". At least you have tons of gold to pay it off later.
That's kind, but you can keep it if you like, you earned it. Not your fault that the bugger escaped.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 52