Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stress System (Steam)  (Read 1165 times)

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stress System (Steam)
« on: April 12, 2023, 01:23:22 am »

With all due respect, will it be accurate to say that the current stress system is broken?
Because on the one hand, there's the waterfall system that (probably?) singlehandedly makes your fort happier.
On the other hand there're conditions that seem... not working as designed.
Of course there are a bunch of needs that are hard to provide or manage (like crafting/wander/acquire something), but there're also needs that are unobtainable (being with family or friends, when one is a single orphan).
The question is: are those unachievable needs there to balance out the waterfalls?

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stress System (Steam)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 03:20:09 am »

Stress system in the game is so connected to everything that you may say it's allways working fine and broken at the same time. Toady made numerous attempts to adjust it or completely rewrite but there are always some edge cases (like orphans missing their parents).
Waterfalls making everyone happy is probably a matter of balace.
Unobtainable needs? Like in real life something cannot be obtained even if we really want it. So i think it's just part of the game. One cannot make everyone happy.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2023, 09:55:20 am »

I wouldn't call it broken. It works pretty well. Remember, this is more of a simulation than a game where you aim for 100% achievement. Some dwarves cannot be made ecstatic and that's that. If it bothers you too much, just expel them and that way you won't be annoyed by their grumpiness showing up at the top of the screen.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 10:09:28 pm »

In his latest video Kruggsmash said he thought the stress system was right where it should be.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 02:52:38 am »

Yeah, I'd say that's about right.
It is broken in the same way our real world is broken and dysfunctional.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 09:21:28 pm »

My latest fortress has been going on pretty well.  Even taking into account we're on a island and certain items are not available nobody has gone crazy yet after many years.  Only one idiot died in a tree.  I'm more annoyed about them tree-climbing dwarfs than the stress system.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 07:32:52 pm »

Needs are irrelevant for stress

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 11:45:42 pm »

What about the "felt X after being unable to Y for too long" thoughts?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2023, 02:02:48 am »

That thought should add to the stress, but not the need itself.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2023, 10:05:14 pm »

But doesn't the need cause the thought, so therefore if the thought causes the stress, the need (while indirectly) therefore caused the stress?
A --> B and B --> C therefore A --> C? Transitive property would seem to apply.

Although that said, it's also true I don't think I've yet seen a need-based thought become a memory as of yet, so it would still be just short-term impact. Still, it's not like I've played that long, either.

Personally stress hasn't been a major deal in most of my dwarves thus far, even those with lots of unmet needs. The dwarves that DID get majorly stressed, did so mostly due to their personality (and where that personality crossed with negative memories). E.g. my 'nervous wreck' (due to a lingering memory of being caught in the rain when he migrated in to the fort, of all things) dwarf is... a nervous wreck. At least he keeps my expedition leader well-occupied soothing him. xD I should check her people-skills, I wonder how much she's learned from constantly dealing with him.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2023, 04:34:23 am »

I think it takes some time before an unfulfilled need generates a negative thought, so it's not directly the same thing. This way you have some flexibility, instead of having to fulfill needs immediately.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2023, 03:44:19 am »

That thought should add to the stress, but not the need itself.

One single "death of a loved one" or "trauma" thought is worth over 100 "felt X after being unable to Y for too long" thoughts