Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: crafts production quality vs. quantity  (Read 401 times)

xzaxza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
crafts production quality vs. quantity
« on: May 22, 2023, 06:13:12 am »

Long I've been annoyed by the spam of masterworks by my legendary dwarves - imo they're far too common, so much that they become unremarkable. Dunno if anything has been done about that (I still play 0.47.05), but last night I had an epiphany. What if there was an option in each job to focus on quantity over quality, or vice versa? Focusing on quantity would reduce job timer but produce basic quality items, while the other option would go slower (perhaps even way slower?) and produce higher quality stuff. Lore-wise, if I just want to mass-produce something, it kinda makes no sense that dwarves spend so much time and effort on those items.

Also, is it something that personality/values affect? Does a dwarf who "views craftsdwarfship with disgust and would desecrate a so-called masterwork or two if they could get away with it" create a masterwork?
Known issues
You may get a dwarf that likes bugged stockpiles.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: crafts production quality vs. quantity
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 01:08:06 pm »

Also, is it something that personality/values affect?

IIRC, the only personality effect relates to preferred items and materials. The rest is attributes, skill, status effects, and focus.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

AIArtificialIdiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: crafts production quality vs. quantity
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2023, 04:33:25 pm »

I think for dwarves specifically it makes lore sense to put maximum possible effort into every little jug or toy hammer since one of their whole things is that they put a whole lot of pride into their work. This would make a lot of sense if the game had you playing as humans or elves, but I'm not so sure about dwarves, that is just my interpretation though. From a purely mechanical perspective, I think this would be super convenient. It would be super nice if at the start of a fortress I could just get my dwarves to quickly pump out like 30 cups quickly and I didn't need to worry about it after that.