Dwarf Fortress > DF Community Games & Stories

Abbey of Blossoming - Lightly Modded Story

(1/16) > >>

callisto8413:
Dwarf Fortress - Abbey of Blossoming - Chapter One

Welcome to my new story using the Steam Version of Dwarf Fortress.  Version 50.08.

Of course, it is modded.  The biggest mod is Primal 50.07.  But I also have Caboose's Cambrian Arthropods 1.02, Dwarven tea Party 1.0, More Food Names 3.0, and Pump Helmet Men Revolution 1.1 to help give it a intertesting twist.

I will be writing it from a first-person point of view.  In other words I will dorf a dwarf and write the chapters from their perdpective.  So not all knowing and not really involoved with what was happening behind the scenes.  Just a everyday worker.  Working 9 to 5.  So enjoy!

Oh, if you want to be dorfed just ask.

================================================================
Dear Diary,

Well, we've done it.  We've finnally arrived at the new home for us all.  Which we have named the Abbey of Blossoming.  As we have selected what seems like a jungle to live in we will likely see a lot of things blossoming.  There are plenty of plants and trees.  Right off the bat I noticed a coffee tree sapling.  Lots of food and drinks available if we are careful about which trees we cut down.

The Tongs of Pinches sent us, the Life of Teaching, to colonize this place.  And we plan to do so.

The Expedition Leader is named Amost Rigothrash.  I am not really sure what skills she has as a leader.  She is musical and cheerful but also humorless.  Kind of a weird mixture.  I did hear her once say, "It's not a gift if you expect something in return."  I hear she is a adequate apprasier so she may handle the trading side of things.

There is Ral Idenustuth, a Miner, who is also cheerful but also overbearing and values nature.  She makes me think of a elf.  I know, that's insulting. Maybe just a bad first impression?  I heard her say, "One should always respect the law."  So maybe I just need to learn more about her?

My fellow Woodworker is named Sigun Godenamnkin and is curious and dutiful but disdains peace and that kind of worries me.  As we will likely be working together a lot and may, if I understand how the settlement will be built, share quarters.  On arrival she just said "Everything's good."  So maybe she, like me, sees the forest as a good starting point?

Meng Kanzudastesh is the Mason who is toletant and seeks harmony but recovers slowly.  Not sure how good a Mason she will be.  She said, "I don't feel like I need to chase anything."  I assume she will not be helping with the animals.

There is also a Peasant named Deler Dodokshetbeth.  Strong yet avoids fights.  Nor is she greedy.  Once again, not too sure about her.  Once heard her say, "Why must they be so violent?"

Then there is Oddom Urvadrigoth the Farmer who is not wastful, is cheerful, and focused.  To be honest she seems to be the most solid of my fellow travelers.  I overheard her say to somebody else, "It's best to slow down and just relax."

And as I always say, "I'm doing well."   And I was when we arrived.

Of course you may have noticed we are all females.  I hope we get some males soon.  How will our settlement grow if some of us don't find mates?

As for the equipment we had the normal amnount of seeds, weapons, and so on.  I noticed a lot of hammers.  Many of the others had some skill with hammers.  As I do.

The animals were, on the other hand, more interesting as they were carefully selected.

Two male Utahraptors trained for war with two adult females to breed with.  Two male and two female Plump Helmet Man.  Or is it men?

Two sows and two boars.  Two nanny goats and two billy goats.  And of course, two roosters and two hens.

The draft animals were also somewhat interesting.  We have a male horse and a wooly mammoth, male.  Who, I have been told, can be trained to be a war animal!

The nearby creek...river....whatever does have some fish and there are lots of repiles and amphibians also in the water.  Fishing should be good.  As long as the amphibians don't attack us.

Likely fruit from the trees, berries from bushes, and fish from the river will be our main source of food before our first harvest.  Besides what we have brought with us.  So farming plots will need to be dug out, trees picked for chopping down, and bushes and trees selected to be gathered from. 

The plan, if I understand it right, is to make a above ground town shaped like a spiral.

And I have been ordered to design it.

Wish me well,

'Callisto'

King Zultan:
I see that you've already got the new fort in the works, makes me wonder if this world will be as violent and hostile as the World of Bones.

callisto8413:

--- Quote from: King Zultan on May 25, 2023, 04:06:49 am ---I see that you've already got the new fort in the works, makes me wonder if this world will be as violent and hostile as the World of Bones.

--- End quote ---

Well, there are dinosaurs running around.  But outside of the mods I added I left the rest of the game vanilla.

King Zultan:

--- Quote from: callisto8413 on May 25, 2023, 06:47:46 am ---
--- Quote from: King Zultan on May 25, 2023, 04:06:49 am ---I see that you've already got the new fort in the works, makes me wonder if this world will be as violent and hostile as the World of Bones.

--- End quote ---

Well, there are dinosaurs running around.  But outside of the mods I added I left the rest of the game vanilla.

--- End quote ---
Sounds like we'll be seeing a new situation in this world, bet it'll be interesting especially with dinosaurs since I've never played around with that mod.

callisto8413:
Dwarf Fortress - Abbey of Blossoming - Chapter Two

Dear Diary,

Of course while me and Sigun chopped down trees the rest gathered plants and Ral dug out the underground farming chambers, the seed room, and three pens.  One for the pigs, one for the chickens, and one for the Pump Helmet Men.

The other animals were given a pasture a little way from the building site.  And yes, the first structure was to house the carpenter's workshop and a small wood stockpile.  Next door a building was attached to the first, on the southern wall, which would house a kitchen and a still.  And attached to IT was an enclosed above ground garden.

A table and chair were placed in the southern buidling so Amost, the Expedition Leader, who was also now the Broker, Manager, and Bookkeeper, could have a office.

The Trade Depot was built to the east of the buildings.  Which would be the center of the colony.

The second floor was to be bedrooms.  One, which was completed in mid spring, was for the Woodworkers.  Yes, we have to share.  The other will like be shared by the Farmer and the Peasant.  Though, to be honest, everybody seems to be helping with the farming plots.

They won't be private, people will be walking through the bedrooms all the time, but they keep the bugs out and give us some shade.

As we don't have a glass industry yet I decided to use floor gates as the ceiling to the indoor garden to allow sunlight and rain into the garden plots while protecting it from wild animals such as birds.  We don't have glass but, to be honest, we don't NEED a greenhouse.  The seeds were collected from the forest itself.  So they don't need any special care.  Just protection from the wildlife.

And the others are already working on a third floor to be a storage area.

By the end of spring a rough outline of a barn had also been started.  Of course, a second floor will house storage and more workshops.  And we will build more buildings to the east.  I will slowly design a outwards spiralling series of buildings.  Of course, the pools of water will have to be covered.  Maybe turned into wells?

The building will likely be many floors tall in most cases and I will have to design drawbridges that lift up, becoming walls, with covered bridges above with bolt slits.  We will see.  It is likely most of the buildings will be only accessed from other buildings. 

The Miner had dug two probing starways looking for stone but has only found damp ground and had to stop.  We may have to import stone if we need it.  At least we have enough food and drink for now.  We won't starve.

Wish me well,

'Callisto'

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version