Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: The Universes of Destiny - succession world  (Read 5797 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: The Universes of Destiny - succession world
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2023, 12:24:25 am »

Just peeked at the save and have a good idea of where to start. I'll try to get into it tonight and figure out a posting schedule...

EDIT:

Ran into a new issue - I was trying to reclaim a ruin (as we have so many), but can't seem to deconstruct any walls. The deconstruct job is just being ignored, even for new walls that I construct. Very annoying - I asked about it in the discord so maybe someone knows if not, I'll start anew tomorrow.

EDIT 2: it seems to be that fort in particular - Gildhold.

EDIT 3: no it seems to be any forts until I've abandoned like...4 forts... Okay...one more shot
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 08:53:27 am by delphonso »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2023, 02:13:10 am »

I see that the werelama's head is missing in one of the screenshots, does that mean that missing limbs get shown of the sprites in the steam version?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2023, 03:32:12 am »

I believe it just overflowed the square it is in. It's either this, or the sprites would shrink to one-square size (like they used to).

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2023, 06:11:47 am »

Unfortunately making sprites for each limb lost or removed would probably be far too intensive. Maybe there'll be a mod for it at some point, but I doubt it, sounds like a lot of work.

In any case, one less werelama in the world.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2023, 09:41:50 am »

yeah, the sprite thing is annoying. for instance - when trying to screenshot the full world map I was unable to zoom out enough, so I patched it together. But the tile sprites are larger than their underlying tiles and so each screenshot of the same location, when taken from a different place on the map, showed different tiles.

were creatures are a plague, ESPECIALLY for succession worlds. If one fortress suffers mass infection and is abandoned, all those resulting were-dwarves are let loose upon the world, ready to immigrate silently and awaken in the middle of your tavern.

it must be said that were-creature sprites are some of my favorite in the game. They feel like, the most authentic DF in that they are grossly misshapen, thus weird and otherworldly and not just some more tolkein bs.

So Delphonso, I have not encountered this bug but also I don't reclaim all that much. What is your thought? Maybe we can re-gen if this world proves less than amenable to our plans. . .

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2023, 07:14:19 pm »

This one was on me - deconstruction work has changed a bit in 50 - I was trying to do a "copper nuggets and coal" set up, which means I didn't have any picks. Picks are required for miners to do any of their tasks, which now includes deconstruction. A mild inconvenience, but it's sorted now!

Also, I hadn't realized that all those 28 dwarven civs are actually still limping along - some even down to one member. I took up the 29 member, Eternal Fortification, which has almost exclusively goblin nobility.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 07:43:45 pm by delphonso »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2023, 05:32:25 am »

Nothing really to report so far - reclaims are tedious work. Our broker ended up being a vampire (who'd have guessed the blue guy wasn't normal?), a family of rutherers got in the fort when we went out for cavern wood, and are now being captured and tamed, the bedroom stack is now being engraved, giving everyone far too much work to do, and after 3 years, our weaponsmithing guildhall is finally open to all visitors, because I forgot to do that immediately and kept wondering why no one went there.

Blasting through the years, as there's a lot of tedious work turning a procgen fort into a useable fort. I don't think I've been particularly successful so far - but am mostly just trying to build a new stronghold for The Eternal Fortifications - we're at 65 dwarves now - from a starting civ pop of 29 - and that's pretty good because I've missed almost every caravan (I'm letting it run a bit in the background while taking care of the kid)

The fort is absolutely hideous.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 05:42:41 am by delphonso »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2023, 11:08:58 am »

our weaponsmithing guildhall is finally open to all visitors, because I forgot to do that immediately and kept wondering why no one went there.

ah, I see you are trying to apply the newly discovered technique of demonstration skill boosting, aka "learning via circlejerk" let me know how that goes haha

The fort is absolutely hideous.

procgen fortresses trigger my OCD so i can only imagine the horror

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2023, 12:59:03 pm »

What version is this? Guessing Steam from the tileset, but I don't actually know.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2023, 03:56:40 pm »

Steam or 50.08 or DF 50 as I've seen it called around here.

I am still an ascii-head at heart, but the new version's interface plays best with the tileset. Also some of the sprites are pretty dang cute (undead kobolds ... omg)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2023, 07:17:05 pm »

The Eternal Fortification are a curious civilization, now a small group of dwarves led by a goblin queen, yet they carry a great weight of historical fact in their records and tales.

Their sole remaining stead is the mead hall The Poetic Roars , found at the dark pits known as Pinesmenace. Not an ideal location for a nomadic band of dwarves and goblins - since the year 756 The Eternal Fortification have been at war with The Great Channels, who have attacked them multiple times without real provocation, and thus the poor dwarves are constantly forced to flee.

As is so often the case in these lands of the undead, this enemy civ The Great Channels is led by a dwarven necromancer - a certain Kadol Brushedboulders (who you might recall from a previous entry of mine is quite the foe).

There has been talk of sending an expedition to new lands. But who would lead the dwarves? Perhaps this new face, Delphonso, that everyone has been talking about. . .

=== The Abbreviated History of the Many and Varied Governing Entities of The Eternal Fortification ===

Ever since the gods laid down the rolling hills and stinking swamps, Eleven different Kings and Queens have ruled these dwarves. What follows are short descriptions of their lives, their triumphs, their idiosyncrasies, and finally, their deaths - excluding Kib, the current Queen, and immortal goblin.

Kib Ringwilt [639 - ] : Goblin Queen of The Eternal Fortification since 711. Kib's mother is Olin Violentpaint [246 - ], the "Holy Growl" of The Cult of Fury since 708. The Cult of Fury is an elf religion that ... wait for it ... worships a dwarf deity, Raz the Roasted (of fortress and war).

Kib has two children and, unless tragedy strikes, will likely rule The Eternal Fortification until the end of time.

Likot Fordedwhips [641 - 710] : Third Dwarven Queen. Her father was a werebeast, while her mother smelled of elderberries. Likot became queen in 697 by pure lottery.

She was killed in 710 by Woge Planehail, a normal human corrupted by the lies of Aco Startspeech the necromancer. Woge attacked alone, and by all accounts this looked like an assassination.

Coni Flashknighted [449 - 696] : The Zombie King. Originally dying of old age in 569, Coni was brought back to life by Stukos Scourwound in 572. Coni went on obey Stukos and corrupt, connive, and maneuver until the coup against Id was made possible.

Coni ruled from 651 to 696, when he was killed in unknown circumstances.

Id Toolstopped [543 - ] : The Goblin King. Id's father served as baron under Etur, but it was by chance that Id gained the new role of King at the young age of 32. Id was later removed in 651 by an untimely coup. One of Id's children went on to suffer as a cursed werebeast.

Etur Basisink [406 - 575] : Second Dwarven Queen. Daughter of Urdim. During the reign of her father, in 421, The Eternal Fortification were forced to flee their home after being attacked by The Buff Glens, a nearby necro civ. This begins the period of general homelessness and migratory habits of this unfortunate civ.

Etur ruled until her death of old age in 575. At one point in her life, she looted a copper mace named The Contested Assaults from a tower, and used it as a political gift. Etur left no offspring.

Urdim Bridgeguarded [ 317 - 479] : Third Dwarven King. Urdim's Father was baron, and after Feb died with no heir, Urdim was selected by lottery to take the title. Urdim was... weird. He was lovers with a creature known only as "Epxa's Mistake" for three years. Later, Urdim fell in love with a necromancer, and then later a werebeast. Very, very kinky this guy - "the pervert king" Anyways Urdim lived until 479 when he died of old age - leaving 7 (Seven! Count 'Em!) children. including Erith, a "S ithrainin's soldier" . . . do NOT ask why two dwarves gave birth to this demon baby I have no idea Urdim is probably best left out of the history books honestly.

Feb Vigorgalleys [ 183 - 335] : Second Dwarven King. Feb was born during the rule of Besmar, but no record of his early existence can be found. After the dwarves kicked out Epo the necro, Feb was selected to take the throne by lottery.

Feb ruled until his death in 335, of old age. MOST CURIOUSLY, he was married to Ilral Bronzedelight the Vampire in 303 but apparently never suffered ill effects from this partnership. They later divorced peacefully. Ilral was later... burned alive for being a vampire. God damn DF is harsh.

Epo Gorgecrewed [90 - 560]
: Epo, The Second Necromancer. Early in his life, Epo made cheese. In 125, he became Lord of The Strategic Band, a long-dead civ of humans.  In 143, he fell in love with an Eye of Night named Dilol Flungate, and perhaps it was through this relationship Epo learned of the death gods. In particular, the human god Zapas, ruler of Death and Games. Life . . and death . . is but a game.

Epo became apprentice to Ustuth Growlchanneled, a dwarf necromancer, and in year 160 learned the secrets of life and death. Epo spent the next decade passing on his teachings, spreading the good word of Zapas. I guess.

A lot happened to Epo during the next 100 years: he became a tavern keeper, joined a performance troupe, and laid the groudwork for a huge number of conspiratorial power grabs. It was only a matter of time before one of his schemes came to fruition... unfortunately for Besmar it was the coup against her throne.

Strangely enough, no one suspected Epo was a necro until year 300. Unlike Besmar, Epo was unable to suppress this talk with two centuries of autocratic rule, and so Epo was booted out from the throne that same year.

Epo went on to harass nearby civs in a very petty manner until year 560 when he stupidly fought Lorbam Noblesquashed the Dented Slaughter of Daggers, a bronze colossus . . . just read Lorbam's name again to find out what happened to the ex-king Epo. "Nobelsquashed" SUCH A GOOD NAME.

Besmar Axelimb the Absolute Blames [-56 - ] : The Undead Queen. Not much is known about Besmar's earliest days, but in year 21 she became broker of The Eternal Fortification. Two years later she succumbed to temptation and sought to extend her life by any means.

In 34, after 11 years of searching, she came upon the rites of prayer to Mondul the Oblivion of Dying, the Dwarven God of Death. After blood sacrifice and days of chanting, a slab "Fateurn the Dusts of Burying" was thrust up from the ground like a tombstone in front of the stunned Besmar.

Besmar attempted to corrupt her lover, Minkot Throwstandard (who was, at that time, Mayor of The Eternal Fortification), but failed. They later broke up.

Another decade passed. In year 48, Besmar married Tholtig Dikesword, and a year later successfully corrupted him into the plot to overthrow Rakust the Second King.

For the next 15 or so years Besmar and Tholtig attempted to corrupt further actors, and most of these attempts failed, but in 73 Besmar found the perfect target in Kel Mirrorattic [16 - 171] Countess of The Eternal Fortification. Kel was isolated, and easily threatened into submission and compliance with the conspiracy.

Two years later the coup occurred - Kel distracted Rakust while Besmar and Tholtig surrounded the keep with trusted axedwarves. The rest is history... at least for Rakust. Besmar immediately installed herself as Queen, and Kel was allowed to keep her position as Countess until her natural death.

As for Besmar, life continued rather peacefully until 89 when Tholtig split from her. A few years later suspicion started to rise as she no longer appeared to age, and in response Besmar enacted a series of oppressive edicts. These edicts, which ranged from laws about appropriate beard length, anvil weight compliances, and other such odd overregulations served to keep the dwarves too busy to rise up and overthrow her obviously stolen throne.

She would continue to update and enact these laws for the next 180 years until her removal from power. 180 years of... Besmar's Iron Fist.

Many strange occurrences might be noted for Besmar's reign was lengthy, but there is not enough time to record it all here. In year 271, in an ironic twist of fate, Besmar was deposed by Epo Gorgecrewed, another necromancer, with the assistance of a number of the original baron and baroness lineages present from the earliest days of The Eternal Fortification. Justice served... except for the whole 'necromancer king' part.

Besmar was imprisoned but quickly escaped, and still lives to this day, lurking on the outskirts of Civilization and occasionally assaulting hapless villagers. A strange sight indeed, this former queen from centuries past, roaming alone through jungle and mountain....

She was last sighted at Slingclenches.

Rakust Summitlance [-77 - 89] : The Second King. Ruled from year 9 until 75, when a coup by the necromancer Besmar Axelimb the Absolute Blames toppled the government. Rakust survived this but was imprisoned, and assumable left to rot until his death in 89. Rakust was later resurrected in 168 but nothing much came of this. Rakust had multiple children, including Stinthad Gildringed, who later became baroness of The Eternal Fortification despite her fathers deposition and betrayal.
Many bridges were constructed during the reign of Rakust.

Likot Tongssoared [-56 - 8]
: The First King of The Eternal Fortification, though he only ruled 7 years before being killed by Nguslu Minedecho the Sinful Shadow the forgotten beast (spheres are caverns and torture) in what was termed the Destruction of Fortressblush, the first mountainhome of The Eternal Fortification. Many, many dwarves died during this event, and so, Nguslu's rampage changed the course of history. While Likot had three children, all died during the same battle, and so the first royal lineage came to a rest.

===

I'm beginning to suspect Kadol Brushedboulders of being the BBEG of this world. with her many conspiracies touching damn near every dwarven civ. And many others.

Also, Besmar the ex-queen still lurks, waiting to attack one of our fortresses. As well as Nguslu, killer of the first king, Lorbam the bronze colossus, and various other noted entities might be encountered by one of us players.

I really, really wish we had adventure mode!!!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 07:26:13 pm by Salmeuk »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2023, 07:36:56 am »

My turn is done, I'll post a write-up tomorrow. Unfortunately a rather boring turn, but I ticked along time for 5, nearly 6 years, and gave The Eternal Fortification a strong foothold to last out the future. Reclaiming ruins is very daunting to make into a useable fort and I didn't really have the attention or gumption to actually pull it off, instead I have a horribly inefficient mess but at least the hallways are wide. Excited to take a different approach in the same world.

Sign me up for another turn!

I think 1 week is right on the money - it was enough time to make a proper fort, but not so long to get bored. I think it's better to be left "wanting more", so to speak.

Avolition! https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16746

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2023, 12:22:52 pm »

nicely done, any screenshots? if the world ends up being kind of a snoozefest then we can always find a new world. that 250 year old 'ice goblin' world has proved absolutely entertaining in my solo play...

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2023, 12:13:11 am »

Quick after-action report.

Behold, Ochrelance!

Ruined in the late 200's, Ochrelanced has only stood as a monument to the failures of The Eternal Fortification - an ironic title indeed.

Ochrelanced is oddly-shaped, the fortress is off-center and tucked in the top-right, making it impossible to do some construction around it (too close to edge). Underground, the fortress covers three tiles east and west (the whole embark), and two tiles north-south. A river and bridge run through the bottom half of the embark - it's actually quite beautiful.

Bountiful as well, after the first 3 years, trees sprouted everywhere, providing ample wood. The natural plants were more than enough to feed the dwarves and even kick-started a rope reed cloth industry.

We dug into the caverns in the first year, for need of wood for beds. This allowed some Rutherers in, who, as peaceful creatures, became integrated into the fort as possible pets. Some of the unclaimed, untamed ones would bother Moldath the dog occasionally, but luckily these were mostly play-fights that ended with one or both of them vomiting.

The showroom here actually has 3 artifacts, the 3rd pedestal has a jagged boot, which has no sprite. Ultimately, we'd make 5 artifacts here, one per year, and all are on display in this hall. This is the "residential" district. A large tavern to the south, and two vertical stacks of bedrooms that was very poorly planned out.

I absolutely hate this.

I think I got to about 40-50 bedrooms before I just stopped trying. Too hard to work around what is already here, and at this time I had one miner only.

The old dwarves of Ochrelanced left many weapons and armor behind, so a military was formed, under the guidance of Zasit Sunbolts, one of the original 7.

Mostly we hauled rocks all over the giant ramp running through the fort. Already present furniture was used to furnish offices and found guildhalls. My Weaponsmith guildhall scheme didn't work because I waited too long to open the guildhall to all visitors and thus, everyone had become much better stonecrafters, etc in the meantime.

We did get a little excitement when this guy arrived:

The military had been begging for a fight, so the caverns were opened and the crew ran down the stairs.

When they got there, though...

A squad of serpentmen who had been hiding the entire time took on the Bad Deep-Insect first.

And won.

Unfortunately, it was too late and the squad came down and killed the only survivor of the battle; Relievecouples, who I would have preferred to do something with - not sure what.

Last note, the outpost liaison is a goblin named Olin Violentpaints. I think her daughter Kib, is actually the queen of the civ! What an interesting lady! I'm glad no gray langurs or keas killed her, as that was our only true threat the entire time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

if the world ends up being kind of a snoozefest then we can always find a new world. that 250 year old 'ice goblin' world has proved absolutely entertaining in my solo play...

Definitely up to the next player - double-checked my settings last night and realized I had invaders turned off... Look, in my defense I've been bouncing between two computers and have different settings/projects on each. I'm cool either way - I reckon if invaders aren't turned off, I'd have been constantly under undead threat.

Reclaim was a poor idea lots of hauling and waiting, but I'm happy with the result. Can't wait to play again!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2023, 01:15:22 am »

The "too close to edge" is a pain in the butt with reclaimed forts. There is (was?) a tedious way to build within 5 tiles of the edge with DFHack's block select, but can't remember how it worked.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6