Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [50.08] Non-violently Unelect Mayor  (Read 526 times)

Jackwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[50.08] Non-violently Unelect Mayor
« on: May 30, 2023, 01:15:47 am »

I've got a conundrum. A while back a migrant wave brought a metalsmithing chad of a dwarf. Legendary blacksmith, weapon smith and armor smith. Additionally, they have some godly social skills (legendary persuader), so they keep being elected mayor.

I want them unelected because they are constantly being called to meetings (there are like 4 important dwarves who I just cannot get happy) and its really slowing down the speed at which I'm making arms and armor. So the question is, how can I get another mayor put in their place without killing or damaging my most prized blacksmith?

If that's not possible, maybe some suggestions on how to improve the mood of some of these dwarves? The fortress is absolutely lavish, every bedroom is spacious with brass furniture and the unhappy dwarves live in "Royal Bedrooms", they have a Legendary dining room, temples to all of the favorite gods as well as a grand temple top no god in particular, many grand guildhalls and all the drink they could ever want. The fort is straight up heaven, but these handful of dwarves are just perpetually unhappy. In fact, oddly, just about all of their thoughts are happy ones. They have a few unmet needs, but its ones I have no control over, things like "be with family". I can't expel them due to their importance in the fort. Seriously ridiculous that they're so unhappy.

Thoughts?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [50.08] Non-violently Unelect Mayor
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 05:20:23 pm »

It's probably easier to train separate dwarves as blacksmith, weaponsmith and armorer.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 07:19:09 pm »

Yeah, even without the mayoral workload, having one dwarf be the designated armorer, weaponsmith and blacksmith is still going to give you a serious production bottleneck.

Regardless, you'll still want to unelect him, so if your fort is still young perhaps you might want to give one of the children (one without weird preferences) special attention and cultivate their social skills so that when they grow up they'll be elected mayor.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jackwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 11:09:05 pm »

I'm not too worried about him being all 3, as he can make weapons and armor in seconds. I have managed to get things more in order so he's being called about less, but I am now curious about your proposition of getting one of the children to be really skilled in social skills so they can usurp him when they grow up. I shall have to look into this.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 07:11:02 pm »

Just make sure the potential candidate does no other work, and they might hang out in meeting places or taverns to socialize.
With enough social skills (and the right personality) they might usurp the current mayor.

or they might just go try to pray or read all the time, if he or she can.

in 50. you can set a dwarf to only do labor types they have assigned.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 11:39:08 pm »

You can banish dwarves now too, can't you?  Another option might be to banish the permanently upset dwarves that are distracting your mayor with constant meetings to complain.  That may be preempting other problems too if they're on the verge of going insane.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 08:08:11 pm »

I thought it was possible to just override the election and assign another dwarf to the mayor position. The mayor elect will usually be re-elected, but all you have to do is replace them again.  There is probably a way to write a program that is prompted by the mayoral election announcement to automatically appoint in their stead a dwarf you've nicknamed something unique.  Or you could just do that manually whenever you need crafting to be uninterrupted.  If you use some dwarven smithing techniques involving giant axe blades, shields & chains, you can easily train any dwarf to legendary without depleting in any way your metal stockpiles.

Jackwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 03:53:46 pm »

I haven't played for a little while but I think I will try banishing. Originally I was hesitant because the dwarves were related to other important dwarves, but I realized that I would either have to retrain them, or get a new blacksmith, armorsmith and weapon smith. So I'll banish the troublesome dwarves and see how it goes. I am still curious about grooming a dwarf to be mayor and supplanting the current mayor, I'll have to let you know how that goes.