Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vox Uristi: Export 3D models of fortresses | 0.14 - individual objects  (Read 3759 times)

plule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Vox Uristi

☼Vox Uristi☼

Vox Uristi is a tool that exports fortresses into a 3D voxels format (.vox). Once exported, rendering software such as MagicaVoxel will make detailed 3D renders out of it. It require DFHack to be installed, and it's mostly tested with the Steam version, though previous versions should work too. You can see the process on this video from Blind: Export process

It is a work in progress, but the export is already fairly complete. It includes the terrain, buildings (with a bit of their content), trees taking in account the season, spatters on the ground, flows (waves, mist, fire, miasma). It lacks stuff like item state (opened/closed bridges) and rails. As much as possible, everything is sourced from Dwarf Fortress raws instead of being an "artistic choice" (colors, metallic, glass and gems, ...). Make sure to save before running an export, I've seen possible crash triggered by the export process.

Compared to other tools such as Stonesense or Armok Vision, keep in mind that Vox Uristi is only able to produce still images as opposed to a real time visualization. Each picture took quite some time of careful preparation, lighting setup, camera and materials adjustments, and then the rendering itself. This process however benefit from a fully featured renderer, which is cool.

Here are some renders made in MagicaVoxel from the files exported by Vox Uristi:

Fort Chantbell by PHLP_Neo, a medieval castle with some twists

Winebolted, a fortress inspired by LOTR Argonath, built by Nutwick (shared in Blind discord)

Heavenfall, tower of a necromancer queen, by Horrigant (shared in Blind discord)

I hope you like it, please share your thoughts and renders :)

« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 06:23:47 am by plule »

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vox Uristi: Export 3D models of fortresses | 0.10 - Spatters
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2023, 07:22:11 pm »

This is very, very cool. Great idea!

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2023, 08:46:19 pm »

Added to the wiki with one of these screenshots, hope that's OK. https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Utilities#Vox_Uristi
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2023, 09:48:32 pm »

And I discovered this thanks to your wiki edit. Cool to see a Rust RPC client!
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

plule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Vox Uristi
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 07:11:17 am »

Thanks for the wiki addition! Seeing vox uristi listed among tools I've been using for nearly a decade makes me all happy :)

And I discovered this thanks to your wiki edit. Cool to see a Rust RPC client!

Yey, for developers reading this, that has very niche target but the rust library is in its own crate, it's quite frictionless to get started for a rust client app imho.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 03:42:21 am »

Looks amazing!  Any possibility of a Linux port?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

plule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Vox Uristi
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2023, 10:10:27 am »

Sure thing. I don't have a linux installation at hand for a local test, so I just triggered a build and hoped for the best, can you try it out and let me know how it goes?

https://github.com/plule/vox-uristi/releases/download/v0.10.2/vox-uristi-v0.10.2-experimental

I'm pretty sure there will at least be complication around dependencies, but hopefully that can help some.

edit: fixed file path
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 12:00:54 pm by plule »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2023, 11:16:33 am »

Sure thing. I don't have a linux installation at hand for a local test, so I just triggered a build and hoped for the best, can you try it out and let me know how it goes?

https://github.com/plule/vox-uristi/releases/download/v0.10.2/vox-uristi-v0.10.2-linux-experimental.2-experimental

I'm pretty sure there will at least be complication around dependencies, but hopefully that can help some.

I should probably mention that I’m still waiting for an official Linux port of the Steam version to be released and mainlined (I’ll probably wait for DFHack and Dwarf Therapist, too).  Meanwhile, I can’t run the older versions because my distribution doesn’t support SDL versions prior to SDL2…

edit:  Also, It'd probably be better if you provided a compressed tar archive.  I don't know what to do with a .2-experimental file as I've never heard of that file extension before...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 11:41:00 am by A_Curious_Cat »

plule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Vox Uristi
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2023, 12:00:04 pm »

Ha ok, it seems annoying. For the file extension, it's actually just the static executable, and the github UI got weird when renaming it, I've updated the release to remove it.

I could put it in a tar (just to set the executable bit), or better use one of these new package format like AppImage to handle dependencies, at the moment that was really low effort. I'll poke a bit when actually making a proper version, in the mean time all the releases will have an attached " vox-uristi-vX.X.X-experimental" linux binary if someone wants to try it out.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2023, 12:42:56 pm »

Ha ok, it seems annoying. For the file extension, it's actually just the static executable, and the github UI got weird when renaming it, I've updated the release to remove it.

I could put it in a tar (just to set the executable bit), or better use one of these new package format like AppImage to handle dependencies, at the moment that was really low effort. I'll poke a bit when actually making a proper version, in the mean time all the releases will have an attached " vox-uristi-vX.X.X-experimental" linux binary if someone wants to try it out.

my distribution doesn't support AppImage.  I might be able to work with a flatpack, though...

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2023, 12:06:37 pm »

my distribution doesn't support AppImage.  I might be able to work with a flatpack, though...
What distro are you running that doesn't support AppImages? Usually AppImages are entirely self-contained executables that shouldn't require any support from a distro.

If I had to pick a single format that would work anywhere, AppImage is probably what I would go with. I'm sure there are a number of tools out there that support building multiple package formats easily, though.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 12:12:21 pm by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2023, 12:23:34 pm »

I believe the only "tricky" dependency for AppImage is FUSE. Most systems have FUSE support out of the box, but it does require a kernel config to be enabled and some user mode tool support, so it's possible that some systems don't have it.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2023, 05:37:58 pm »

Ok.  I found what appears to be a very bare-bones HOWTO for using appimage on my distro.  The problem is that the only setup mentioned is to load the FUSE kernel module and change the permisions on the appimage file.  I'd expect to need to install a framework and/or utilities for the appimages to work, but the HOWTO doesn't mention any of that.  Also, I've searched the distro's package repository and there's no mention of appimage.

Also, isn't appimage the MacOS packaging system?

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2023, 11:35:10 pm »

Appimage is both Linux and MacOS.  Way back in the day, MacOS started on a BSD kernel.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2023, 11:39:48 pm »

Appimage is both Linux and MacOS.  Way back in the day, MacOS started on a BSD kernel.

I thought MacOS was based on the Mach kernel from NeXTSTEP...
Pages: [1] 2