Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 50.09 Released  (Read 40386 times)

Justiceface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 50.09 Released
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2023, 11:51:15 am »

@Justiceface

What is the output of
Code: [Select]
lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'?

Edit:  fixed single quotation marks.

lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Sky Lake Integrated Graphics (rev 07)
        DeviceName:  Onboard IGD
        Subsystem: Dell Skylake Integrated Graphics
        Kernel driver in use: i915_bpo
--
01:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Sun XT [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8690M / R5 M330] (rev ff)
        Kernel driver in use: radeon
        Kernel modules: radeon
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 3160 (rev 83)

Thank you for reminding me how to show text in monospace font with the code tag! :) And also for working on helping me with this.
If you have okay wrestling, you can stab someone in the lower body, making their guts pop out. If you then wrestle and pinch the guts, you can sever them. By then, the guy's probably unconscious. If he's not, strangle him until he is and cave in his skull with the guts.

No, really.

Justiceface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2023, 11:57:06 am »

I haven't tried the release version, but based on the experimental and beta builds, I think this is due to the increased graphics performance.  I ended up reducing my graphics frame rate to compensate.  YMMV.  I'm looking forward to giving the release a try as I ran into text input problems in the experimental and beta builds (which might be a wine/linux only thing).  Hopefully it's fixed in the release. #fingers-crossed

You know, since I reverted to 50.08 my numpad/10-key numbers aren't accepted by DF anymore. Not the hugest of issues but a minor annoyance since  I practically live on that numpad, heh. Oh, also my scroll wheel doesn't change z-levels anymore either. Which... is actually okay since my mouse wheel is super sensitive and middle-clicking to drag the board usually switched z-levels for me before. Also I use the keyboard as much as possible so I usually navigate the board with WASD. Maybe changing versions just reverted my keybindings? I don't remember all of what I changed when I set 50 up for the first time... man I sound like a wispy-brain, don't I? :D
If you have okay wrestling, you can stab someone in the lower body, making their guts pop out. If you then wrestle and pinch the guts, you can sever them. By then, the guy's probably unconscious. If he's not, strangle him until he is and cave in his skull with the guts.

No, really.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2023, 04:40:38 pm »

lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Sky Lake Integrated Graphics (rev 07)
        DeviceName:  Onboard IGD
        Subsystem: Dell Skylake Integrated Graphics
        Kernel driver in use: i915_bpo
--
01:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Sun XT [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8690M / R5 M330] (rev ff)
        Kernel driver in use: radeon
        Kernel modules: radeon
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 3160 (rev 83)

It appears that you have two graphics subsystems in your notebook.  One is the Intel Integrated Graphics in your CPU.  The other is a separate AMD/ATI RAdeon HD based subsystem.  If I had to make a guess, I’d say that the Intel one isn’t even hooked up to anything hardware-wise, and the AMD/ATI one is what everything is hooked to.  It appears, however, that you are currently set up for hardware acceleration through the Intel subsystem (which, obviously isn’t doing you any good for reasons that I’ve noted earlier in this post).  I think what is happening is that your system is using a basic non-accelerated driver for the AMD/ATI subsystem and all of the stuff that would’ve been accelerated is being done in the CPU.  I would suggest that you search (and ask around) on wikis and message boards for your distribution for information on how to set up hardware acceleration for the AMD/ATI subsystem.

Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Justiceface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2023, 11:54:11 am »

It appears that you have two graphics subsystems in your notebook.  One is the Intel Integrated Graphics in your CPU.  The other is a separate AMD/ATI RAdeon HD based subsystem.  If I had to make a guess, I’d say that the Intel one isn’t even hooked up to anything hardware-wise, and the AMD/ATI one is what everything is hooked to.  It appears, however, that you are currently set up for hardware acceleration through the Intel subsystem (which, obviously isn’t doing you any good for reasons that I’ve noted earlier in this post).  I think what is happening is that your system is using a basic non-accelerated driver for the AMD/ATI subsystem and all of the stuff that would’ve been accelerated is being done in the CPU.  I would suggest that you search (and ask around) on wikis and message boards for your distribution for information on how to set up hardware acceleration for the AMD/ATI subsystem.

That is weird. Somehow not entirely surprising, but weird. Thank you for sussing this out! I will look into hardware acceleration for the AMD/ATI subsystem. I'm leery of mucking about with a thing as important as graphics so I may just wait to make changes until I'm certain I'm not about to blow up my laptop. More likely I'll go ahead and get the refurb desktop I've been meaning to get. One hopes the graphics will be more standard (and indeed more physically moddable) than the lappy. Also once I get the new-to-me machine I'll be updating the laptop to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS so that will at least give me a more modern OS version.

I'm  puzzled as to why graphics acceleration is being used -in the menu-. Once you're into dwarf mode, okay,  sure. But the menu doesn't animate or anything.  I'll admit I'm at least a little miffed at having to muck about with these graphics things for Dwarf Fortress. DF used to be a game you could just play. You need a chunk of RAM, it needs to not be a toaster, but other than that you're off to the races. I appreciate the work that's gone into the Steam version but sometimes I miss my old DF that I could just pop into the terminal, do ./df or ./dfhack, and bang, there we go.

Try setting the print mode to 2D? Possible SDL2 isn't detecting you're on integrated graphics properly

Hello Putnam! Print mode used to be in init.txt but it's not there anymore. In 50 I have a windowed option, a font/window size option, the fullscreen resolution and fullscreen basic font. In my 47.05 I have a [PRINT_MODE:2D] but that whole section seems to be missing in 50. I grepped for it in the init directory and found nothing like PRINT anything. How can I set the print mode in 50?

No, really.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2023, 12:59:17 pm »

Oh, just add it. It should be there in prefs/init.txt, too.

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2023, 07:29:50 am »

Try setting the print mode to 2D? Possible SDL2 isn't detecting you're on integrated graphics properly

Thanks this helps, the RAM usage is still higher than before, but it's much more manageable now :) Very hyped for the Linux release!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2023, 09:46:27 am »

I'm  puzzled as to why graphics acceleration is being used -in the menu-. Once you're into dwarf mode, okay,  sure. But the menu doesn't animate or anything.
It's a lot easier to use the same graphics settings across the entire game than to change them on the fly. DF has always done it this way. Also, I believe Putnam mentioned that one of the slowest parts of the software rendering stack in early 50.xx versions was drawing sprites to the screen, which requires things like color conversion and resizing, and happens on every screen, not just the dwarf mode screen.

I'll admit I'm at least a little miffed at having to muck about with these graphics things for Dwarf Fortress. DF used to be a game you could just play. You need a chunk of RAM, it needs to not be a toaster, but other than that you're off to the races. I appreciate the work that's gone into the Steam version but sometimes I miss my old DF that I could just pop into the terminal, do ./df or ./dfhack, and bang, there we go.
DF before ~2010 used exclusively software rendering and had similar performance issues to what you're seeing now. Quite a lot of time and effort went into figuring out reasonable default configs for most people, as well as config options that could be adjusted for others. The things that are possible to configure changed significantly with the move to SDL2, which means DF has moved back to that stage of identifying unexpected graphical/performance issues that pop up. I realize it's frustrating but I expect it'll get better with time.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2023, 01:34:15 am »

That is weird. Somehow not entirely surprising, but weird. Thank you for sussing this out! I will look into hardware acceleration for the AMD/ATI subsystem. I'm leery of mucking about with a thing as important as graphics so I may just wait to make changes until I'm certain I'm not about to blow up my laptop. More likely I'll go ahead and get the refurb desktop I've been meaning to get. One hopes the graphics will be more standard (and indeed more physically moddable) than the lappy. Also once I get the new-to-me machine I'll be updating the laptop to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS so that will at least give me a more modern OS version.

I'm  puzzled as to why graphics acceleration is being used -in the menu-. Once you're into dwarf mode, okay,  sure. But the menu doesn't animate or anything.  I'll admit I'm at least a little miffed at having to muck about with these graphics things for Dwarf Fortress. DF used to be a game you could just play. You need a chunk of RAM, it needs to not be a toaster, but other than that you're off to the races. I appreciate the work that's gone into the Steam version but sometimes I miss my old DF that I could just pop into the terminal, do ./df or ./dfhack, and bang, there we go.

I was just reading your output again and saw the line that said "Kernel driver in use: radeon".  Disregard what I said earlier.  That line is proof that you have your drivers installed correctly.  No the question is:  What is causing DF to use so much memory?  I'm especially curious as your graphics setup seems to be identical to mine...
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

duendeinexistente

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2023, 02:25:37 pm »

Linux user here, just to have the information in one place, with the latest version you need to do winetricks vcrun2022 to get the required libraries to run it. And may have to run it with wineconsole Dwarf\ Fortress.exe instead of just wine Dwa...

Waiting impatiently for the linux release, though- even with these two dfhack is unstable and freezy at best. Nothing I'd call playable.
Pages: 1 [2]