Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 50.09 Released  (Read 40337 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress 50.09 Released
« on: June 28, 2023, 12:44:16 pm »

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

Release notes for 50.09 (June 28, 2023):

In this release, we're updating the engine from SDL to SDL2, and there are many optimizations to go along with it.  Aside from the optimizations, SDL2 is also the stepping stone to ports.  We have Linux compiling and playable; it just needs some testing.

Moreover, there is now a(n experimental) multithreading option in the game settings that makes the game even faster!

We also have some new individual tree graphics, and an update to grass ramps as well.

This has been mostly the hard work of Putnam!  Meanwhile I've started up on adventure mode - the long work of updating menus and adding audio has begun!  Hopefully we'll have some progress to show their soon, as we continue updating fortress mode as well.

New stuff
   (*) Updated to SDL2 and made many surrounding changes.  Various performance gains!
   (*) Experimental multithreading is available from game settings.

Graphics additions/changes
   (*) Some more trees now have individual graphics (maple, willow, cedar, larch, kapok, papaya, macademia.)
        (*) Updated some ramp images.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
Re: Dwarf Fortress 50.09 Released
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 02:43:13 pm »

(*) Experimental multithreading is available from game settings.

Wow! Congratulations on this one. Thinking adventure mode may not release in 2023?
Dark Ages IV: DF & Skyrim mods + Survival Sims 
http://AdventRPG.com/

Justiceface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 05:53:58 pm »

The game uses huge amount of CPU and heats up the machine quite a bit in 50.09. I reverted to 50.08 so I can still play. I did try flipping on the multithreading to see if that helped but it didn't seem to.
If you have okay wrestling, you can stab someone in the lower body, making their guts pop out. If you then wrestle and pinch the guts, you can sever them. By then, the guy's probably unconscious. If he's not, strangle him until he is and cave in his skull with the guts.

No, really.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 06:44:14 pm »

I haven't tried the release version, but based on the experimental and beta builds, I think this is due to the increased graphics performance.  I ended up reducing my graphics frame rate to compensate.  YMMV.  I'm looking forward to giving the release a try as I ran into text input problems in the experimental and beta builds (which might be a wine/linux only thing).  Hopefully it's fixed in the release. #fingers-crossed

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2023, 07:02:23 pm »

Just a quite heads up for others on Wine, you will need to get a copy of msvcp140_atomic_wait.dll and then run winecfg to use it.  If you search the Steam forums, you'll see some instructions.

Another quirk of wine seems to be that the sound volume is *very* low. Now sure why.  I noticed it in experimental, but thought it was fixed in beta.  I might be mistaken, though (I often play with the sound turned off).

I guess the Linux release is imminent, though, anyway.  However, I think this is all relevant for Mac users.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2023, 07:04:03 pm »

The game uses huge amount of CPU and heats up the machine quite a bit in 50.09. I reverted to 50.08 so I can still play. I did try flipping on the multithreading to see if that helped but it didn't seem to.
Can you share some details about the hardware you're using?

Just a quite heads up for others on Wine, you will need to get a copy of msvcp140_atomic_wait.dll and then run winecfg to use it.  If you search the Steam forums, you'll see some instructions.
Could you link to or share some of these instructions?

From the DFHack team's experience, Wine 7 seems to work out of the box, but many of us weren't able to get Wine 8 working. Curious what you're using.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2023, 07:18:50 pm »

Argh!  I can't find the post now :-(  I'm using wine 8.11.

It's pretty straightforward for Wine directly.  You get a copy of msvcp140_atomic_wait.dll (from various places on the internet).  You put it in the Dwarf fortress folder.  Then you run winecfg.  Go to the "libraries" tab. In the "New override for library" drop down you select msvcp140_atomic_wait.dll and then hit the "Add" button.   Finally "Apply" or "OK".  After that wine DF will work with wine.

For doing it with Proton, it's a bit more complex because you have to run winecfg specifying the the directory that Proton is installed in.  Also, the default prefix seems to have problems for me, so you have to find the DF prefix (which is in the Steam folder somewhere) and update that.  After that, it's the exact same procedure as per normal wine.

There are definitely some instructions somewhere on the internet for doing winecfg for proton, but my google-fu seems weak today.  Hopefully that's enough to get started with.  But if it works for Wine 7, that's probably fine for most people (I'm on Arch Linux so everything is bleeding edge).

BTW, on totally unrelated topic -- dead plant graphics are here!!! I'm so happy!

Justiceface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2023, 07:19:29 pm »

I suppose most would consider my hardware out-of-date, heh. I'm running a Dell Inspiron 5559 that's about seven years old. I thought it was a quad-core but lshw says it's got two cores but can run four threads. (I was a computer science student but my knowledge of hardware is shaky in certain places, particularly with laptops). 8 GB RAM. What other details will be useful to you?

I -am- running an old version of Ubuntu (16.04 don't hit me!) which is out of support and I am a bad Linux user right now I know. :) I can't actually run the classic Windows version because my wine is out of date. Proton runs DF okay but for excessive memory usage but I'm aware of that.

If you have okay wrestling, you can stab someone in the lower body, making their guts pop out. If you then wrestle and pinch the guts, you can sever them. By then, the guy's probably unconscious. If he's not, strangle him until he is and cave in his skull with the guts.

No, really.

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2023, 09:49:40 pm »

Can't wait to test the Linux build.   Seems to work in Proton 7.  :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 09:53:12 pm by Clatch »

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2023, 11:48:57 pm »

I suppose most would consider my hardware out-of-date, heh. I'm running a Dell Inspiron 5559 that's about seven years old. I thought it was a quad-core but lshw says it's got two cores but can run four threads. ... 8 GB RAM. What other details will be useful to you?
Exactly what processor model? Your GFX card; any idea of the brand and/or how much RAM? Probably a moot point if it's a lappy, but the exact model & thus specs might shed a little more light.
Monitor type/size, and more importantly, desktop resolution?
The general RAM type in your machine; DDR2? 3? 1?

***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

SeeSchloss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2023, 03:16:50 am »

Performance has also become abysmal for me. I run the game under wine, and went from 50 FPS to about 7 FPS.

Exactly what processor model? Your GFX card; any idea of the brand and/or how much RAM? Probably a moot point if it's a lappy, but the exact model & thus specs might shed a little more light.

I don't think it really matters but in my case it's on an AMD FX-6300 CPU with 16 GB DDR3 and an AMD Radeon 5870. It displays on an Xvnc instance (so I can play it on my M1 mac running Linux, through VNC) at 1510x923 resolution.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2023, 07:01:40 am »

Hmm ok so there's an oddity with the settings on classic as it forces you into premium graphics after messing with the settings and closing then restarting the game, the workaround to this is to make the changes you want in the data/init folder and possibly deleting the pref/init file or renaming it as it seems the rest of the pref folder files still work but the one that checks if you want ascii mode toggled on. hope this helps anyone on the classic build of DF50.09
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Justiceface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2023, 03:41:39 pm »

I suppose most would consider my hardware out-of-date, heh. I'm running a Dell Inspiron 5559 that's about seven years old. I thought it was a quad-core but lshw says it's got two cores but can run four threads. ... 8 GB RAM. What other details will be useful to you?

Been a while since I gathered info like this on my machine, heh. I think I got all the important points, but let me know if I missed anything:

Processor:
model 78
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500 CPU @ 2.50 GHz
cpu MHz 499.992
cache size 4096 KB
cpu cores 2

GFX card:
lspci says:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Sky Lake Integrated Graphics (rev 07) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Dell Skylake Integrated Graphics

Monitor type/size
desktop resolution

System settings shows my laptop screen is 1920x1080. I might have changed this from the default when I got the machine so I could read the text but I don't clearly remember.

general RAM type:

DDR3, 1600 mHz, manufacturer SK Hynix, Data Width 64 bits, size 4096 MB, Form Factor SODIMM, clock 33mHz. configuration: driver-i915_bpo

Here's some output from lshw which I think is largely redundant but I lack the intuition on this stuff anymore:

H/W path       Device      Class          Description
=====================================================
/0/0                       memory         64KiB BIOS
/0/4/42                    memory         64KiB L1 cache
/0/4/43                    memory         512KiB L2 cache
/0/4/44                    memory         4MiB L3 cache
/0/41                      memory         64KiB L1 cache
/0/6                       memory         8GiB System Memory
/0/6/0                     memory         4GiB SODIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1600 MHz (0.6 ns)
/0/6/1                     memory         4GiB SODIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1600 MHz (0.6 ns)
/0/100/1f.2                memory         Memory controller

No, really.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2023, 09:00:47 pm »

Try setting the print mode to 2D? Possible SDL2 isn't detecting you're on integrated graphics properly

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2023, 02:41:17 pm »

@Justiceface

What is the output of
Code: [Select]
lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'?

Edit:  fixed single quotation marks.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 02:46:52 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.
Pages: [1] 2