Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SHOW OFF: create a 'thing' with the most wild combination of mechanics.  (Read 504 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New animals? Seen that. Guns? Old news. Supermonsters? Boring. Secret powers, freezing ray? Meh.

What I would like to see, is a complete new and fresh idea, something never done. It might be simple and small, or even insignificent. As long as it has a unique in-game effect.

Be creative, think out of the box, mix up every thing you can think of with all sorts of mechanics. Ethics, reactions, syndromes, interactions, materials: you name it.

Here are the rules:
1. It has to be new.
2. It has to be visible and work in-game.
3. It needs to use a combination of mechanics, giving it an unique effect.
4. (Edit) You must add the raws, so it can be tested.

Bonuspoints for adding convincing lore or graphics.

After 5 submissions I'll do mine.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 03:42:31 pm by joostheger »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't say you might get a lot of submissions since the code and the code ceiling doesn't actually change, some of the very best tricks are through DFhack but I can nominate people who have excellent old-tricks. I do have a couple of personal hat-tricks.

One trick I have but also share with Squamous is the creation of custom HFS's (who featured most prominently, in their mods, I just took it a step further through my own testing to do things like custom masters, and finding out ways how to rig custom HFS's up to weighted gods and the like) but my own spin on it is the creation of custom Forgotten Beasts. (which the wiki seems to have picked up on a fair amount to give you instruction how to do)

To make your own Forgotten Beast, you have to set subterranean biomes and depth, match the creature's core details similarly from their garbage dumps found on the DF wiki with decompiled information, using the token [FEATURE_BEAST] then reducing the total amount of beast-types in your world until it covers all of the ones you're overriding. The creation of HFS tower demons is very similar through its process, specifically needing the correct biome, similarly matching details, simultaneous [UNIQUE_DEMON] and [DEMON] tokens, and also a singular underground depth of 5.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have not yet used df hack in my modding, but iam curious how to do that.
Could you share a compact example of what you've found out, where you're particulary fond of?

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SHOW OFF: create a 'thing' with the most wild combination of mechanics.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 11:15:20 pm »

In terms of vanilla DF, I think that pretty much everything has been done at this point.You can only push the limits of the tokens so far.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
Re: SHOW OFF: create a 'thing' with the most wild combination of mechanics.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2023, 01:07:28 am »

I recently finished a small meme mod to turn dwarfs into mighty Morphin power dwarfs each with mega zord,custom graphics for each ranger and zord, uses attack based interaction to turn into mega zord in battle pretty funny to watch 🫠