Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What are the mechanics of the Demonic Fortress? Are we able to use them?  (Read 782 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

here can you read about an obsolete feature, known as the 'Demonic Fortress'.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Demonic_fortress
Its no longer in the game.

However, the article talks about a mechanism, which is used to remove the floor after taking the presented weapon. Do we know which mechanism does that? Maybe a pressure plate? maybe an obsolete feature?

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the floor was just hard coded to disappear once you deconstructed the sword. I don’t think you can recreate it.

Digganob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't suppose we're able to re-introduce a site like this, or any other site, are we?

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile

You might be able to get something similar with bridges? Or maybe cause a cave-in just under the floor when they reach the other side, but I'm not really sure how you could do that  :-\

Dylan Ail Don

• Bay Watcher
  • Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas.
    • View Profile

According to the wiki, you can try to use this script by Atomic Chicken to spawn a demonic fortress in recent versions of DF. The script itself is some years old, but maybe it still works today.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

According to the wiki, you can try to use this script by Atomic Chicken to spawn a demonic fortress in recent versions of DF. The script itself is some years old, but maybe it still works today.

This probably is even further out, due to 50.04 changing the file structures, with the knock on effects that it took a while for DFhack to chase it up. My bets is that it probably wouldn't due to Toady doing some spring cleaning on the code and/or cause a CTD but it would be very entertaining to watch nonetheless.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Note that bridges will fling anything small enough in a random direction. Last I checked, it included retracting bridges.

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile

due to 50.04 changing the file structures

Oh what did they change??

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are the mechanics of the Demonic Fortress? Are we able to use them?
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2023, 06:54:31 pm »

due to 50.04 changing the file structures

Oh what did they change??

Enough to add workload onto DFhack catching up with all the additional UI improvements, but that's all sorted now seemingly.