Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: STRANGE_MOODS for non-intelligent pets.  (Read 460 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
STRANGE_MOODS for non-intelligent pets.
« on: August 03, 2023, 02:52:57 pm »

If I have livestock or pets with Strange_Moods, will the make artifacts? With a natural_skill in something, but without can_learn?

I plan to create some sort of semi-intelligent beast, which can be part of your population, but without giving the playing real control. They sort of co-exist alongside your dwarfs. But I think it would be nice that they can have strange moods to. For example when making some sort of bone-craft.

follow up question: can I create a custom reaction and workshop for this strange mood? I think not.

Digganob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: STRANGE_MOODS for non-intelligent pets.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2023, 09:49:19 pm »

I... don't think that this line of research has been trod, yet. This seems to be something worthy of testing.

First you need to see if they can actually perform labors as livestock/pets. If it is possible, then try making a fort with the dwarves edited so they no longer have strange moods. Then play that fort for a few years with some of the creatures. No strange moods, it's not possible. Is it necessary they should not have [CAN_LEARN]? If not, then try them with it.

However, if you were to make this new creature a new caste as part of the dwarven race, then it may just be possible they can have strange moods. This has an obvious downside of them not being a separate race, of course, and also necessitates them being genderless, as otherwise you'll have servantrace-dwarven marriages, which is really weird... but it may just work, anyways.

The last option is to make them their own entity. Then make their civilization as close to dwarves in values as possible, so they become allies, and inter-mingle, thus allowing them to become citizens in your fort as guests apply for citizenship. Then, make your own little breeding program to marry the creatures so you have a proper class of laborers, similar to breeding animal people for various purposes.

This idea is walking a very thin line between animal abuse and human rights violation.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 10:08:03 pm »

Intelligent pets defininitely will get strange moods, Havent tried it with a species that isn't intelligent, but for species where half the castes are intelligent and half are not, an unintelligent one can be selected by a strange mood. They dont get a skill increase from success iirc. Natural skills do indeed guide their decisions of what to make.

Custom workshops and reactions seem to be ignored entirely for strange moods, but they can produce items that are unavailable except through reactions, occasionally, because theyll select from all existing, say, weapon or armor items even if they arent available to the civ.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 02:14:14 pm »

Even non-intelligent pets can take strange moods if the token is present in their creature raw I've seen this with my own eyes and the creature I'm playing with currently at the moment it's hilarious watching dwarves drag them over and over and over away from the workstation because they're a pet and they're not stuck to the workstation from their strange mood

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023, 02:15:34 pm »

Forgot to add also they will eventually go crazy from whatever strange mood they're affected by I guess if they don't complete their their work

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2023, 02:52:52 pm »

so they dont properly 'claim' the workshop then?

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2023, 08:23:06 pm »

They do in a weird fashion they claim it only while they inhabit the workstation when a worker comes and grabs them to put them back in their pen or pasture they no longer inhabit the workstation and they no longer lock the workstation with their strange mood until they leave the pasture again to reclaim the workstation with their strange mood again

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2023, 08:25:41 pm »

With a little work you could set up a pretty neat automated artifact farm of sorts if you had all of the materials and all the work stations with just a bunch of pets on standby lmao

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2023, 05:29:42 pm »

Also something funny about pets with strange moods apparently if you can lock one in a room and it isn't a strange mood where it berserks I have one with a melancholy and it's being kept alive by its owner and indefinitely 🤣🤣