Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sunletters - Legends from a Newb  (Read 547 times)

Marukay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Sunletters - Legends from a Newb
« on: August 07, 2023, 03:53:52 pm »

Hi everybody. So I just finished the tutorial in Dwarf Fortress Steam Edition and am still playing with that very first fortress. I spent a lot of time in the wiki pages also, and when reading about the Fun I eventually came to this section of the forums. I am new to this, but I love the story that just happened and the idea of keeping to share the tales from Sunletters here appeals to me very much.

So let's get started!

What happened is that in the Mid-Winter of Year 104, a fire breathing dragon comes by. The siege on my fortress takes a couple of weeks and I can't believe it survived. I've spent hours piecing together how exactly that came to be! Follow me into that tale from Sunletters Fortress...

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sunletters - Legends from a Newb
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 11:27:00 am »

that was metal af

Doused in boiling steel and iron, he is later found molten.

so was Lorbam's axe made of iron or steel? how many died to the dragon, in the end?

RIP the war dogs, but it was inevitable.

Marukay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 12:20:50 pm »

that was metal af
Thank you!  :)

Doused in boiling steel and iron, he is later found molten.

The part is actually taken from the battle logs. The entrance hall was build around my trading depot and I believe there was still a bit of stuff standing around on it when the dragon rushed in. I wasn't actually aware of owning anything made of steel at the time. XD

Lorbam's axe is an exceptional iron battle axe.

how many died to the dragon, in the end?
And that's part of the incredibility: Apart from the two military officials and the two visitors, only wildlife and guarding animals died. I've been looking out for "missing for a week" and "found molten" messages, but none came.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 07:07:01 pm »

Very well written!
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Marukay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 03:32:33 am »

So, I admit nothing much epic happened since the dragon attacked.
But it's year 107, 18th Granite and Sunletters has now become the capital and the ruler moves in!

I was very much tempted to retire because in most city builders and strategy games I find managing big settlements cumbersome and little fun.
But on the other hand I wanted to experience this "losing is fun" kind of thing, so it's weird to terminate my first DF fortress without losing.  :D

For the time being I'll try to accommodate the ruler and dip my toes into this "Mountainhome" thingy, but first and foremost I decided to experiment more with room constructing and accumulating wealth.
To tell you the truth, I'm drowning in iron, there's even a stack of platinum ore and tons of gems I don't know what to do with, so I never had a reason to dig much deeper. I hope that trying to push the wealth of my rooms is the lever that gives me a reason to dig deeper and provoke more fun to come pay me a visit.

Speaking of provocation: My fortress is neatly squeezed between goblins and elves, and both are nagging but neither are trying to really mess with me.
Even after I raided the Goblin settlements a few times. Maybe gonna try sacking or even occupying them, but I couldn't make up my mind on that one so far.